Anyone here collect toys/Action Figures?

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Also why did you buy that girly ass "Friends" set.

I feel like Lego lost its baseline, and many of the new sets are "cheating"-- anyone dig what I'm sayin' ?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
There's a Minecraft pig carrying a treasure chest on its' back, maybe with bacon inside, you can't put a price on something that awesome.

I buy girly Friends sets because I'm a faggot. Did you not see the adorable Dalmatian puppy included? Plus they're charging the electric car with a combination windmill/solar panel refill station, it's the future in LEGO form!

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
There's a Minecraft pig carrying a treasure chest on its' back, maybe with bacon inside, you can't put a price on something that stupid
Fixed

And yes you can: $0.50 is the price

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I bought a bunch of Lego Friends stuff....the camper van, the catamaran, even all the ocean themed amusement park sets, the art studio, the pet vet van and a bunch of others.

Good sets and nice builds, honestly they are alot of fun.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I bought a bunch of Lego Friends stuff....the camper van, the catamaran, even all the ocean themed amusement park sets, the art studio, the pet vet van and a bunch of others.

Sounds like maybe you and M should rent an art studio together, buy a camper van, and drive it out to a San Francisco theme park and get married and have sex together and get married again

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Hmm...

Depends on whether M is a better cook than my current wife...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Man I still don't dig that Minecraft Lego shit. I mean the shit is already a parody of legos. You can't do that. It makes it look like, even shittier, man

I think the Minecraft legos are great.

I want to like the Super Mario Legos but I hate the Mario figure.

@M

20 Year Member
I've come close to buying the Super Mario LEGOs a few times, particularly Bowser's Castle. If they ever hit deep clearance, I'll almost certainly get them. I really don't want to spend fifty some bucks for the starter kit with that electronic Mario, which you need to play the game with all the other sets, when said kit only has about 250 bricks altogether... that's not a very good value.

Yup, the Friends sets are pretty cool, as Neo_moe said. I like variety in themes/builds.

@M

20 Year Member
LEGO Speed Champions Ferrari F40 Competizione (198 pieces).
IMG_20210616_134449352_34.jpg
Moderately complex build (2 medium bags of bricks, 3 small). It's a nice enough looking vehicle, and I like red, but, the problem with assembling LEGO cars is that they're mostly the same basic thing, over-and-over again, and that gets old. Way too many stickers here too (16), which I hate applying. LEGO should accomplish detail with bricks, not decals.
IMG_20210616_132713516_34.jpg
There are many extra pieces that you can swap out to alter the car's appearance (4 different hub cap designs, headlights, spoilers, exhausts, hoods, and a front bumper lip), but, those minor cosmetic changes add little to the toy, and I wish LEGO had used that part of this set's budget for an accessory build, like a gas pump, instead. Car customization doesn't appeal to me at all, but, I'm sure that's attractive to some.
IMG_20210616_140319899_34.jpg
The mini figure driver is okay, but, doesn't really stand out either. He comes with a helmet and wrench (useful tool for popping those hubcaps off), but, no hair piece, and only one expression.
IMG_20210616_130035292_34.jpg
This isn't a bad set, per se, but, I also found it incredibly underwhelming. The car just isn't very exciting and the swappable elements are meh. MSRP is 15, I paid 12, and I still regret my purchase. If you've got the funds, I'd recommend spending a little more money and getting the similar Speed Champions Ferrari F8 Tributo (20, I paid 16), which is far superior in my opinion (see comparison photo above). I give this one 2.5/5.0 rusty wrenches.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Tributo one is pretty cool, I agree, but it really doesnt even look like a Lego product.

@M

20 Year Member
LEGO Star Wars: The Mandalorian "Trouble on Tatooine" (276 pieces).
IMG_20210616_150804679_34.jpg
Moderately complex build (3 large bags of bricks, 3 small). The strings on the ballista & slender rods on the bike are tricky (I was afraid of snapping them by pushing too hard).
IMG_20210616_150942014_34.jpg
The speeder bike is my favorite component. Nice form & detail (I like the saddlebag & baby sling for Grogu on the back). The handles turn and the front fork pivots up/down.
IMG_20210616_150826627_34.jpg
When I first saw product photos, I thought that the ballista was a giant dragonfly! It has hinged tripod legs & bow arms, and the cranks turn. There's also a spring-loaded missile launcher mounted on top that works great, but, I would have liked to have seen a working rubberband bowstring instead.
IMG_20210616_154954719_34.jpg
The Tusken Raider's hut and firepit are okay, but, not terribly exciting, and the build feels somewhat flimsy/fragile. The sides fold in/out and the campfire platform pivots up/down. I love the bone in the cooking pot.
IMG_20210616_154741719_34.jpg
The Mandalorian (he just gets a blank black head under the helmet) looks mighty cool and comes with a fabric cape, rifle & pistol. Baby Yoda is adorable and one of the main reasons I bought this kit. The Tusken Raider is pretty good too and is armed with a Gaffi Stick.
IMG_20210616_152102842_34 (1).jpg
Overall, this is a very nice Star Wars LEGO set, possibly too fragile to stand up to rough play though. MSRP was 30, which is a bit much, I paid a more reasonable 24. For the cost, I think they could have included another Tusken Raider or two. I give it 4.3/5.0 tarnished helmets.

@M

20 Year Member
No, I've played with LEGOs since I was a kid. Only started buying them like a madman in the last half year or so though. Probably just an expensive phase. 😂

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I was asking because it seemed as if you haven't even discovered the really good sets, yet. Do you own any of the exclusive sets like the modular buildings? I feel that they can be a better value and offer more interesting building techniques than most of the sets that you posted pictures of. Ninjago City Gardens is said to be great.

That being said, LEGO is way too expensive for stuff that doesn't really get made in Denmark anymore. Especially since there was a significant drop in quality.

@M

20 Year Member
The exclusives at LEGO.com are often sold out (or backordered for weeks/months), and expensive to boot. Might end up getting some anyway though, I'm running out of sets to buy at Walmart (my searches results are often a column of kits flagged as "previously purchased").

Shit is relative, Terry, especially with something that you can just disassemble and rebuild into something else.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Shit is relative, Terry, especially with something that you can just disassemble and rebuild into something else.
Dude, I love Legos. I have owned many sets over the years and still have a few assembled on the self.

You don't seem to build anything original is the thing and it's depressing as hell to see you buy them and even worse when you post these lame little sets once they're built. Just imagining you sitting there and putting some of this stuff together while listening to Dido makes me sad.

Buy something cool like that giant Batmobile or Voltron or the Ghostbuster Ecto-1.

The newish Pirate Island thing and the Treehouse are fantastic sets and readily available. The Andy Warhol set is great and I'm sure it's on Walmart.com since for some reason you refuse to shop anywhere else.

@M

20 Year Member
I actually did order some sets directly from LEGO last week, mainly because I got tired of waiting for Harry Potter Fawkes the Phoenix to show up at Walmart (other than from 3rd party sellers with a large mark-up). I've purchased several larger sets, but, I really don't have the time to build them, and I like to finish a set in one sitting, not spread out over multiple building sessions. Small-medium 100-500 piece sets are what I prefer to work on.

I have considered getting the treehouse and barracuda bay (I think that's the name?) $200 sets. Never seen an Andy Warhol one anywhere.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Warhol one is the famous Marilyn Monroe screen print and it comes in 4 color ways it's basically a flat panel/frame that you put the colored dot pieces on. They're a nice size too.

It's not a super cheap set but considering the licensing I'm surprised it isn't considerably more expensive.

@M

20 Year Member
I've seen many of those dot sets (the huge map of the world one seems to be particularly popular at the moment), but, not that particular one. That type of LEGO building doesn't appeal to me much; I much prefer 3-dimensional structures/things. I could see myself doing some video game sprite builds in that fashion, but, that's about it.

Speaking of games, I'm reconsidering getting some LEGO Super Mario sets after all. I watched a 12 minute review of the Mario starter set on YouTube yesterday and it does look pretty cool.

MotU fans: This Mega Construx kit just dropped too and I had no idea that it was even coming out until it showed up as a suggestion while I was browsing other stuff on Walmart. I ordered one immediately. I had Battle Ram, Mekaneck and Triclops when I was a kid, and $20 for this is certainly a lot cheaper than replacing those vintage toys. I've got the Wind Raider, Roton, and Point Dread sets too and I'm kind of kicking myself now for not getting Castle Grayskull...51g3aJLfhVS._AC_SY580_.jpg

@M

20 Year Member
Someday, guys, someday, I'm going to be this cool:FB_IMG_16241048160843910.jpg

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
LEGO collecting seems like a miserable hobby.
My neighbor used to drink after work. He died while I was on vacation. He was 44 years old.

Sorting and building LEGO is a great way for getting your mind off of things, when the weather is so bad that you can't or don't want to spend time outside. Trying to come up with creative solutions when planning your own creations can also be a good exercise for the brain. Currently, I'm trying to figure out a way to shrink down and hide a mechanism (20+ gears) as much as possible. Two things that aren't right next to each other will have to rotate at the exact same spreed but in opposite directions. All of that has to work well enough so that I can automate it using two infrared sensors and a single motor. If LEGO's Control+ components don't meet my expectations, then that will be motivation enough for me to finally learn how to use Arduinos.

However, there are a ton of elitist pricks in the hobby and many Youtubers are clearly in it for the money and/or free sets. Especially those who are part of the LEGO Ambassador Network.