Anyone here collect toys/Action Figures?

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
What did he drink?
Beer. His kitchen was right next to my bedroom. I could tell that he sat all alone in his kitchen all night long and used to drink until 4:30 in the morning. That was usually the time when he would wake me up by throwing his empty bottles in the crate. Judging by the noise he made, he must have emptied at least 5 bottles/night.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
MotU fans: This Mega Construx kit just dropped too and I had no idea that it was even coming out until it showed up as a suggestion while I was browsing other stuff on Walmart. I ordered one immediately. I had Battle Ram, Mekaneck and Triclops when I was a kid, and $20 for this is certainly a lot cheaper than replacing those vintage toys. I've got the Wind Raider, Roton, and Point Dread sets too and I'm kind of kicking myself now for not getting Castle Grayskull...
I've had that Battle Ram since march. Grayskull is a great looking set but quite tedious to put together.

As for the Pirates of Barracuda Bay set:
I bought mine late last year with VIP points, a "gift with purchase" set as well as 7% cashback. I'd never pay full price for LEGO.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Beer. His kitchen was right next to my bedroom. I could tell that he sat all alone in his kitchen all night long and used to drink until 4:30 in the morning. That was usually the time when he would wake me up by throwing his empty bottles in the crate. Judging by the noise he made, he must have emptied at least 5 bottles/night.
Holy fucking shit. Thanks for the heads up. Because that is me. 44, too young. I should go longer than that.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Holy fucking shit. Thanks for the heads up. Because that is me. 44, too young. I should go longer than that.
It was a bit of a wakeup call for me, too. I was told that his dad wondered why he hadn't heard from his son in more than a week. He had the door opened and found him. I'm really glad that all of this happened while I was gone.

I for one can't wait to check out the new bikepark that was built near my family's holiday home and do some more exploring. A few years ago I found a way into some old nazi buildings. That ended up being an exhausting but fun day. LEGO and videogames have always been my winter hobbies but both have helped me through tough times. Like back in 1997 when my dad's little brother decided to end his life with the dog's leash around his neck.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
March? Wow. I never saw that Battle Ram until Thursday night and Walmart has it flagged as new. I don't search Mega Construx as frequently as LEGO, but, often enough that I should have seen it sooner if they had it months ago. Where did you buy yours?

Edit: Weird. I just looked it up, and saw a January, 2021 release date, but, I have done Mega Construx MotU Walmart searches in previous months and never saw it listed. I wonder if Mattel had a limited exclusive on it at their shop, or some other retailer, for a while and Walmart only just now became able to sell them?

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
My neighbor used to drink after work. He died while I was on vacation. He was 44 years old.

Sorting and building LEGO is a great way for getting your mind off of things, when the weather is so bad that you can't or don't want to spend time outside. Trying to come up with creative solutions when planning your own creations can also be a good exercise for the brain. Currently, I'm trying to figure out a way to shrink down and hide a mechanism (20+ gears) as much as possible. Two things that aren't right next to each other will have to rotate at the exact same spreed but in opposite directions. All of that has to work well enough so that I can automate it using two infrared sensors and a single motor. If LEGO's Control+ components don't meet my expectations, then that will be motivation enough for me to finally learn how to use Arduinos.

However, there are a ton of elitist pricks in the hobby and many Youtubers are clearly in it for the money and/or free sets. Especially those who are part of the LEGO Ambassador Network.

Yeah I should have been a bit more clear by what I meant. I’m certainly referring to the latter types of “collectors.” The kind who begin to view things as an investment, etc.

@M

20 Year Member
New arrivals. Harry Potter "Fawkes, Dumbledore's Phoenix", Friends "Olivia's Flower Garden", Marvel "Miles Morales Mech Armor", Brickheadz "Birthday Clown' (exclusive), and Speed Champions "McLaren Elva" (free gift for ordering $40+) came from LEGO's web site, while the Star Wars "Imperial Tie Fighter" was the last set to arrive from my most recent Walmart order.
IMG_20210619_182927805_40.jpgIMG_20210619_182611535_40.jpgIMG_20210617_141118832_40.jpg
This was my very first LEGO store purchase ever. Once your order ships, it comes fairly quickly, but, it also sat in their warehouse for almost a week before that happened (I placed my Walmart order another day after the LEGO one and they still delivered everything before LEGO did!) Box was well packed/padded and the sets arrived with zero damage. I'll probably order from them again, but, I'm still going to stick with Walmart for most of my LEGO purchases because their prices on bigger sets are generally several dollars cheaper than LEGO's and they have quicker delivery. Funnily enough, LEGO was actually charging about twenty cents less for this Friends set than Walmart is, which is very unusual.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
When it comes to legos you have to be super selective. Like only get the ultimate rarities.

For example, lego haunted house.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Hyper knows what I mean. Invest in a store of value, a commodity, a capital asset lego set.

@M

20 Year Member
I could buy multiples of the Creator 3-in-1 sets so that I could build all 3 models simultaneously. 😂

LEGO Speed Champions "McLaren Elva" (86 pieces).
FB_IMG_16241685368116989.jpg
This azure vehicle isn't too tough to build, but, there are quite a few steps and the fold-out instruction sheet is a bit harder to follow than the usual LEGO booklet. Most of the bricks are loose inside of the polybag, however, there's a separate smaller bag of blocks too. A little cardboard box, containing a decal sheet (5 stickers), is included as well.
FB_IMG_16241686104022113.jpg
The finished car looks nice and rolls smoothly on a flat surface. For the relatively low brick count, it's a good model. The vehicle is slightly bigger than a Hot Wheels car, so, it's the right size for a small child's hands.
FB_IMG_16241686041748593.jpg
This comes in a polybag, instead of a box, which I'm not a fan of, as there's a greater chance of breakage (my bricks were all fine, but, my bag also came directly from the manufacture's warehouse and wasn't subjected to customers handling and squeezing it on a store shelf either).
FB_IMG_16241685763093039.jpg
I got this kit as a free gift with my order (given the time of year, I believe LEGO intends that as a Father's Day bonus), for spending forty dollars or more, at LEGO's web site, but, you can just buy it by itself for 5 bucks too. Would I have purchased it for that price? Maybe, but, I'd probably go for a larger Speed Champions set instead (this one is far too small for a mini figure driver).
FB_IMG_16241688250362925.jpg
All-in-all, it's a nice little blue car to add to your collection, especially if you can get it for free, like I did. I give it 3/5 pistons.

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
When it comes to legos you have to be super selective. Like only get the ultimate rarities.

For example, lego haunted house.
If I actually got into Lego like when I was a kid, I'd probably go for some of the Techniqus sets. The whole movie legos I can do without.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Finally got this bastard. Never had him as a kid, and the new Kingdom line has been pretty stellar. He even came with a little matrix on a chain.

1624217021472.png

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I have to echo what other people are saying- take the money from 6-8 of these regular sets and buy yourself a modular. I finally pulled the trigger on my first one a few years ago and they are completely worth the cost. The builds are so much better and so rewarding with so many small details. Yes you have to build them in sessions but that makes it better. I kinda hate spending $30 on a set I'm done with in 20 mins, with these $150 goes 4-5 hours. I only buy about one of those a year and some speed champion sets.

Would love to have a few sets from when I was a kid but prices are too high for me.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
That’s way better than what I had as a kid. Galvatron was super common and shitty. But better than robot mode megatron or ironratchet.
Both '84 G1 toys of Ironhide & Ratchet were sourced from literal JP mecha with human pilots. None of the "Diaclone" Earth defense robots were sentient in that sci-fi franchise's backstory. It's why the G1 Dinobots also had cockpit hatches.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I was a kid when the Beast Wars Metallix came out-- what a time.

One of my fav action figures ever was the guy who was a bat. Was that starscream? To me he reminded me of Devil Kazuya so I was so into it. I think he came in a 2-pack with the Alligator dude. They were like 6" figures

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Both '84 G1 toys of Ironhide & Ratchet were sourced from literal JP mecha with human pilots. None of the "Diaclone" Earth defense robots were sentient in that sci-fi franchise's backstory. It's why the G1 Dinobots also had cockpit hatches.
I didn’t know this, but it’s cool to find out. Why would dinobots have cockpits if they were made preneanderthal?

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
I didn’t know this, but it’s cool to find out. Why would dinobots have cockpits if they were made preneanderthal?
Only the "localized" G1 toys had cockpits due to being repurposed from Takara's JP Diaclone toyline mecha. In the States, Grimlock & co. lacked those physical characteristics when depicted in the cartoons, Marvel comics, & tie-in media.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
I was a kid when the Beast Wars Metallix came out-- what a time.

One of my fav action figures ever was the guy who was a bat. Was that starscream? To me he reminded me of Devil Kazuya so I was so into it. I think he came in a 2-pack with the Alligator dude. They were like 6" figures
In terms of TF trademarks, I'm initially thinking of Mindwipe & Skullcruncher, but since it's Beast Wars, the U.S. monikers probably were just Prime & Megatron. Said TF offshoot had a slew of variants, repaints, & overseas exclusives. Mostly outside my old school Takara SF wheelhouse.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I think Megatron was like a gorilla or some shit in Beast Wars

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I think Megatron was like a gorilla or some shit in Beast Wars
He was a T Rex. Prime (pardon me.. PRIMAL) was a stupid gorilla.

I hate the art style for Beast Wars, and some of the boneheaded alt-modes. I get it, Beast, so its gotta be animals. But Prime as a monkey? If anything, he should have been a damn Lion like Oh.. I dont know. LEO CONVOY.

Beast Wars looked like shit (and the toys are garbage, I wont buy any of em) but the show's writing was top notch. If it weren't for the god awful visuals (and Waspinator/Ratrap), I'd bluray em. Aside from the visuals - its probably the best Transformers show.

Anyone who's gonna come in here and say that Transformers Animated is 'teh bezt' can fuck right off. That show was ass.

Edit - oh and one thing that bugs me to this day is the one "Predacon" (Decepticon) that defected to the "maximals" (autobots).. He was a deinonychus.,.

His name was... Dinobot.

REEEEEAL creative there guys.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I agree. Fuck Beast Wars for having a good story. The character design was anus.