Anyone here collect toys/Action Figures?

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
Bullshit. It happened in the 90s all the time. Guys that owned flea market booths and comic/specialty shops would routinely buy out all the stock of certain items so they could raise the price and essentially corner the market in that area.
Original jumpsuit figure of TMNT's April, Dick Tracy movie Sears Canada exclusive of Madonna disguised as "The Blank," Batman: TAS Kenner femme villains like Phantasm, Harley Quinn, & Ivy, any McFarlane Toys female Spawn character like Angela etc., those are examples which immediately sprang to mind. And that's just a tip of the 1990s era farmers market shitstain booth & podunk highway hotel "collectibles" show scalper iceberg.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Bullshit. It happened in the 90s all the time. Guys that owned flea market booths and comic/specialty shops would routinely buy out all the stock of certain items so they could raise the price and essentially corner the market in that area.
It was easier for them to do it back then, too. Because without the internet, someone really had no choice other than physical shops within a certain mile radius. And kids with parents who had no awareness of swap meets/collectible shows were shit out of luck.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
As a child I had every dinobot except for swoop. I tried to convince myself that swoop sucked and i didnt want it anyway but I was just lying to myself. My lack of swoop got so bad that I started resenting my parents, and I expressed that resentment by lashing out at school. It got so bad that my parents began resenting each other...and that was the beginning of the end of moe family.

Little did I know, that all the while some low life scumbag was humping swoops at some swap meet.

Fuck.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
The original G1 Swoop toy is notoriously fragile and prone to breaking anyway, moe. Your parents were just protecting you from the heartbreak of a dismembered mechanical pterodactyl, but, you didn't know...

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
The original G1 Swoop toy is notoriously fragile and prone to breaking anyway, moe. Your parents were just protecting you from the heartbreak of a dismembered mechanical pterodactyl, but, you didn't know...
This glad i'm never bother with g1 swoop i'm sure it won't take long before there's one for the studio series 86.

@M

20 Year Member
Swoop good guy. Grimlock no like when this happens...
7607880638066355385.jpg

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
My brother broke almost every G1 I had, and I had a lot. I think only Hot Rod survived. All the stuff I have now is replacement even though the only G1 I ever broke was Prowl, I think (rear window/shin).

It depends on what kind of kid you were, what age you were the stuff came out, etc. A six year old should not have a swoop, same with mouth breathers, it’s very obviously a more delicate toy than a Plymobil or a Matchbox.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I just got my 3 year old his first transformers - they are the Playskool versions with basically 1 step transformations.

They are actually much better than I thought, and he loves them. So far we got Prime and Hoist.

My mission to create a mini moe and force all my knowledge, beliefs and preferences upon him continues unabated! :vik:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I just got my 3 year old his first transformers - they are the Playskool versions with basically 1 step transformations.

They are actually much better than I thought, and he loves them. So far we got Prime and Hoist.

My mission to create a mini moe and force all my knowledge, beliefs and preferences upon him continues unabated! :vik:
A lot of those Playskool TFs are better than a lot of the “real” ones.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member

Why do all that hard work?
Just do the mind transfer when he turns 18 like a normal person.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Seeing the insecticons reminded me of this. A few months back, I was looking through an old photo album at my parents' house, and came across this one. Circa Christmas 85/86. I couldn't figure out what that box next to me was at first, but it's Sectaurs. Apparently there was a short-lived TV show and comic book series as well, but it came and went pretty quickly, so I completely forgot about them. They look pretty cool actually.

Attachments

• 20220923_095605.jpg
    20220923_095605.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
After the huge success Transformers, He Man, Rainbow Bright, Care Bears and GI Joe there was an almost limitless wave of attempted copycats in the post-Reagan toy anime market. Most turfed out pretty quickly, most deserved to.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Seeing the insecticons reminded me of this. A few months back, I was looking through an old photo album at my parents' house, and came across this one. Circa Christmas 85/86. I couldn't figure out what that box next to me was at first, but it's Sectaurs. Apparently there was a short-lived TV show and comic book series as well, but it came and went pretty quickly, so I completely forgot about them. They look pretty cool actually.
Boxed sectaurs!

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Wife told me to buy Omega Supreme last year as an anniversary present, and I waited too long.

Never had OS as a kid either. :/

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Wife told me to buy Omega Supreme last year as an anniversary present, and I waited too long.

Never had OS as a kid either. :/
The same i missed out on the wfc omega surpreme as well even after it's reissue and now it's price second hand is jacked up by scalpers.Currently i'm looking at some third parties ones to buy asap.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
The same i missed out on the wfc omega surpreme as well even after it's reissue and now it's price second hand is jacked up by scalpers.Currently i'm looking at some third parties ones to buy asap.
I know how you feel

20220925_174214.jpg

Last edited:

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
I don't collect, but I have/had some toy robots over the years. I had some transformers in the 1980s when I was less than 3 years old, and needless to say, they did not stay in good shape. One of them was a purple train that could also turn into a space shuttle and the other was a purple and black beetle/insect looking thing. I don't know what their names were, but needless to say, arms/legs and other components were soon missing. I recently found the black beetle transformer in an old box of legos at my parent's house, he's basically just a husk at this point but neat to see that figure from my childhood still sort of survives. Maybe one of those toy restoration youtube channels could do a restore of it... they'd need to fabricate the missing parts though.

Later in the early 90s I watched reruns of gen 1 transformers and I got a sideswipe figure that they sold at that time. That one I was old enough to treat nicely and I still have it in excellent condition in a box with my childhood toy cars - I was more of a car collector as a kid than an action figure collector. Sideswipe was a black lambourghini in the toy I got and didn't match the design of the 1980s transformers I was watching, so not sure what gen of transformers the toy was from...

In terms of other robots, the only other thing I can remember is that there was a Power Rangers clone in the 90s called Super Human Samurai Cybersquad, and for some reason I wound up with the robots from that series, which could all joint together into a megazord-like thing. Those toys haven't survived to my adulthood though.

I had the one on the left:

3419410528_84244bfd79_b.jpg

Here's my toy cars that have survived. 1990's side swipe is in the back row
kxz7esxay0381.jpg

Reactions: @M

@M

20 Year Member
Just stumbled across this in my AliExpress feed, a kiddy knockoff version of Devastator. I'm tempted...😁-1760407831626202503.jpg-961224328-1054867385.jpg
US $13.60 32%OFF | New 6 In 1 Transformation Robot Engineering Vehicle Toy Intelligence Action Figures 30cm Deformation Toys Gifts For Kids CT0062

@M

20 Year Member
Do you like Robot Heroes, @neo_moe? They don't transform, but, they're cute display pieces. I don't think Hasbro makes new ones anymore, but, they're relatively inexpensive on the secondary market. I have a bunch of Michael Bay movie ones and some G1 cartoon figures, including the Unicron pictured.
73e6f870dd3ffb1ad5e965ce7a0b25cb.jpeg