Anyone here collect toys/Action Figures?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I've always been fond of praying mantises. Almost made a Phantasy Star II Locusta figurine one time...

@M

20 Year Member
@STK: You'd be surprised, that's how several of said women got them, and many mention buying those sets for that purpose. Obviously, not every woman would appreciate a gift of that nature, but, as I said, it's something different.

I'd say that realistic plant models are one of the best ideas that LEGO has come up with in recent years that really has long term appeal. A lot of women like and build LEGOs (Harry Potter sets are the other ones that really pull them in), and I think plants will help LEGO increase their female customer base quite a bit. There aren't any licensing fees to drive up costs either (although I suppose they could partner with Martha Stewart or some shit if they really wanted to.)

Speaking of offices, one woman recently shared photos of hers. No plants, nothing but shelves and glass cases full of Star Wars LEGO models!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
You'd be surprised, that's how several of said women got them,
Several of the women already in your Lego support group? They don't count. Most people have a greater chance of being struck by lightning WHILE being attacked by a shark WHILE living in Kansas than they have of meeting an adult female who gives one single shit about Legos.

That being said, full disclosure, I did meet one about a decade, decade-and-a-half ago.

@M

20 Year Member
Haha, probably, but the group membership is surprisingly well balanced between men and women. Lot of mothers buying for their kids though too.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
One of my old neighbors once owned and operated a vintage toy & hobby shop. As a teen, I used to hang out there on Saturday mornings and lend a hand with miscellany. He routinely received a bunch of faxes & potpourri mail parcels from Japanese citizens with hole-in-the-wall otaku storefronts or weird new old stock.

Gradually learned a lot about postwar JP antiques, vinyl figures, genre movies, & older sci-fi toys/models just from laidback conversations, and paying attention while at the occasional estate sale or vintage toy show assisting said family friend.
Quakerhead?

…how have we not spoke of this, yet?

-hope to play Geppy•X w/ you this Fall!

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I’ve considered buying a LEGO plant for my office as a joke. I thought the kids might like it.

Why the fuck does everyone keep telling me I should get a plant for my office?
Only 2 plants should be considered, Cactus and Venus Fly Traps.

@M

20 Year Member
Yeah, mine came from Kmart too. I remember I gave one of the mouths some turkey lunch meat to eat and it turned yellow and died right away, probably from the preservatives.

Cool X-Men: CotA Marvel Legends figure display from a collector in one of my FB groups:
FB_IMG_16253696843661987.jpg

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Any GIJoe savvy people here? I know there have been some recent Joe re-releases of G1 toys like the FANG, HISS and the AWE Striker, and I think there's even a trouble bubble that was released.

Does anyone know if they are going to release a Skystriker, Night Raven or Rattler? My google-fu just brings up the 2008 reissue from Target, which is naturally $300 on Amazon/Ebay.

Never had the jets as a kid, wouldn't mind picking up the reissues.

@M

20 Year Member
Hasbro's G.I.JOE focus is mainly on figures. The 6" Classified line is what's hot right now. Given their size, those larger aircraft are less likely to see a re-release and I don't believe the retro 3-3/4" figures are selling too well. Most of the new product for awhile will probably be tied to the upcoming Snake Eyes movie.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Any GIJoe savvy people here? I know there have been some recent Joe re-releases of G1 toys like the FANG, HISS and the AWE Striker, and I think there's even a trouble bubble that was released.

Does anyone know if they are going to release a Skystriker, Night Raven or Rattler? My google-fu just brings up the 2008 reissue from Target, which is naturally $300 on Amazon/Ebay.

Never had the jets as a kid, wouldn't mind picking up the reissues.
The 2008 Skystriker was magnificent, and went for about $20 at toys r us at the time (maybe it was clearance). But something to keep in mind if you start chasing these things is that the Skystiker, while better proportioned and detailed than the original (it wasn't a reissue), became a single seater rather than seating two figures. Also, they're huge. They take up a pretty large amout of physical space. More than you think they're going to.

The one I always wanted but never had was the Rattler. But I sold off all my vehicles before I moved to Japan; all I have left are a few of my favorite figures. Mostly 30th anniversary/Pursuit of Cobra stuff. They did a wave of figures that were reimagined as the cast of Predator. They were hilariously awesome. Like Spirit was Billy, Duke was Dutch, Recondo was Jesse Ventura, etc.

IMG_7873.JPG

I don't think Hasbro even got premission or a license or anything. I think their design team just slipped them under the radar.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
That's awesome.

Yeah the vehicles do take up a lot of room, I had a few re-issues and a tracked down a couple originals. They just took up too much space and there's no good way to display them so they ended up in their boxes in a closet.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
That's awesome.

Yeah the vehicles do take up a lot of room, I had a few re-issues and a tracked down a couple originals. They just took up too much space and there's no good way to display them so they ended up in their boxes in a closet.
The thing with the Skystriker (at least the newer one) is that once you assemble it, which is a one-way process, it's larger than the box and will no longer fit.

@M

20 Year Member
We'll just break into this guy's house and "shop", HornheaDD. We won't end up like Bibs, I promise. 😂FB_IMG_16254985379766459.jpg

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
We'll just break into this guy's house and "shop", HornheaDD. We won't end up like Bibs, I promise. 😂View attachment 50848
I would enjoy throwing those boxes really high in the air, and catching them. And then let them fall on their edge and crinkle the box. I would make that guy reassess his life.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, mine came from Kmart too. I remember I gave one of the mouths some turkey lunch meat to eat and it turned yellow and died right away, probably from the preservatives.

Cool X-Men: CotA Marvel Legends figure display from a collector in one of my FB groups:
View attachment 50833

This is cool but it’s making me die on the inside.

@M

20 Year Member
That would trigger an international incident, Sage. That man would shoot you for damaging his JOE boxes and China would seek vengeance on your behalf. For my part, I would masturbate to this in your memory:FB_IMG_16246699915268688.jpg

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I would enjoy throwing those boxes really high in the air, and catching them. And then let them fall on their edge and crinkle the box. I would make that guy reassess his life.
You ever see the Conan clip where someone asks Harrison Ford to sign -- fuck it, I'll just post the clip.

Obviously staged, but still funny. "Shucks!"

Reactions: @M

@M

20 Year Member
This 12" figure line is marketed towards boys (young Han Solo and Kylo Ren are the other two in the wave advertised on the package), although a girl could certainly enjoy them too.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
This 12" figure line is marketed towards boys (young Han Solo and Kylo Ren are the other two in the wave advertised on the package), although a girl could certainly enjoy them too.
Is it not worth complaining about the smashed up condition it got delivered to you in? I mean not that it was ever gonna be super valuable, but they basically rendered it useless the second it arrived beat and battered.

@M

20 Year Member
For $6, certainly not, and it was only the box that was damaged, not the figure itself. These kinds of figures, MIB, will probably hold some value, decades from now, but, are next to worthless at the moment. Walmart probably would accept a return and issue me a replacement if I bitched, but, eh. Moses told Pharaoh to let his Qi'ra go, so, I did.

Returning damaged items to Walmart for exchange would become a part time job if I let it. The cases of the CDs and DVDs I get from them are sometimes damaged too (cracks, pieces broken right off, etc.)

@M

20 Year Member
Fun game console/MotU custom:
FB_IMG_16261358274812890.jpg