Anyone into basketball cards?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Been a bit over the whole vidya game / arcade hobby for while. Not sure why but decided to go have a look at the basketball card scene for the first time in 25 years.

What the hell is going on there? Boxes of 8 cards selling for $1000 bucks and being lucky to get $100 worth of cards! Shithouse player auto/patches selling for hundreds? Who will even want that crap in a decade? 90’s cards completely worthless...

That whole scene seems very speculative. What do you think?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Been a bit over the whole vidya game / arcade hobby for while. Not sure why but decided to go have a look at the basketball card scene for the first time in 25 years.

What the hell is going on there? Boxes of 8 cards selling for $1000 bucks and being lucky to get $100 worth of cards! Shithouse player auto/patches selling for hundreds? Who will even want that crap in a decade? 90’s cards completely worthless...

That whole scene seems very speculative. What do you think?

I have a ton of basketball cards from the 90s. How much are you willing to pay?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I had a decent amount of sports cards from when I was a kid. I brought them to a store that usually pays out pretty well. They said they weren't interested so I gave them away. I don't think there's really any value in cards from the '80s onward.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
i used to collect basketball cards early 90s. I would memorize the players stats, height, weight, etc...I remember thinking im going to be rich by having a Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton, Shaq, Dikembe, Tim Hardaway, Alonzo Mourning, David Robinson rookie cards. I think they are still at my parents house along w/ my comics.

I check on ebay & i dont think one of the cards can buy a Mcmuffin w/hash browns & coffee.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Bro better head home and see if mom gave away your comics.

theMot

10 Year Member
i used to collect basketball cards early 90s. I would memorize the players stats, height, weight, etc...I remember thinking im going to be rich by having a Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton, Shaq, Dikembe, Tim Hardaway, Alonzo Mourning, David Robinson rookie cards. I think they are still at my parents house along w/ my comics.

I check on ebay & i dont think one of the cards can buy a Mcmuffin w/hash browns & coffee.

Those David Robinson rookie cards were the grail back in the day. I remember Beckett did a feature on the most highly sough after cards. The Robinson rookie card was #2 behind MJ’s. They creamed themselves over how valuable it would be in coming years. Check eBay...it’s going for $20. :lolz:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I did collect basketball cards in 1995, but I lost interest after watching Space Jam.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I was very into baseball cards as a youngster in the 90's.

redacted the rest

Last edited:

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I collect football and basketball heavily. A combination of collector mentality and bootleg production means 99% of cards need to be graded, or sold by one of the reputable sellers (Dean's Cards, Greg Morris Cards, etc).

Of grading, only PSA, SGC, and BGS are deemed consistent and legitimate graders. Beckett (BGS) also has BCCG (cheaper, less critical) and BVG (grading of vintage cards). Both of those are deemed inferior (too high and too inconsistent in their grading) and don't add much value to a card.

Early 80's to early 2000's is considered the junk wax era. Cards had no limits to production, they just sold and sold and sold the same cards over and over. There are still tens of thousands of unopened boxes of almost every brand during that era. That 1989 Hoops David Robinson, which was a tough pull in your local market, was exposed when ebay came on the scene in late 90's. All of a sudden this card that your town only had 10 of and was selling for $50, was now on ebay in the thousands of listings all at auction, and that card started selling at $1-2 loose.

That remains the case for most cards from that era, but the best of the best, in PSA 10 or SGC 98-100 condition, are still valuable. As an example, a PSA 10 (gem mint) 1989 Donruss Griffey Jr will do $300. A PSA 9, which is going to be a mostly unnoticeable fuzz to a corner, or minor surface gloss held at the right light, is going to be $20.

The card industry regrouped in the mid 2000's and began a process of severely restricting production. They also created tiered products for the casual consumer (retail boxes, produced in hundreds of thousands, $1-5 a pack), mid-range hobbyist (hobby boxes - $10-100 a pack, produced in the tens of thousands with many cards numbered to 500, 100, or of 10, etc) and then collector level (National treasures, flawless, immaculate, etc - $1,000-2,500 a pack) and produced in the mid-hundreds for base cards and under 100 to as low as 1 of 1 for some cards. That $1,000 box might have an immediate resale value of $100, but if you pull a Luca Doncic RPA /10, you're looking at $4,500-7,000 all day.

The nobody's that sell in the hundreds are going to be collectors of that type of card. There logoman (nba logo) patch collectors, there are 1 of 1 collectors, there are nike/reebok tag collectors, there are pink jersey collectors, etc. So you might have a 2nd round draft pick who washed out of the league and his 1 of 1 card is selling for $150. The person buying it isn't a collector of that player, but of that type of card.

Card collectors are a different breed. People think the video game hobby has people with stupid amounts of expendable income. Card collecting is at an unimaginable level until you get into it.

@themot - i'm happy to discuss in more detail if any specific questions. It's a fun hobby still, but you have to know what you're doing and what your goals in the hobby are.

theMot

10 Year Member
mjmj, what are you collecting?

I'm sceptical of those very expensive boxes. I feel they are geared towards speculators but I wonder who is really going to care about a lot of that in 10 years? With most sports people, once they are out of the spotlight they are quickly forgotten. It's not like collecting cards from the 70's or 60's where the cards were geared towards kids and some no namer card can be valuable because no one cared about them so they are rare. These new cards are just going straight in a top loader, packed away in a cupboard.

I reckon there is some value in the late 90's early 2000's Upper Deck sets, especially the Jordan or Lebron signatures because they are generational talents and they are not with Panini so no more being made.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
For basketball I collect HOF RC cards with heavy focus on 50's and 60's. For that stuff, I only buy SGC or PSA graded. There are a couple i'll likely never grab. 1957 Bill Russell, 1961 Fleer Wilt Chamberlain. Those cards, even in PSA 1-2 condition (poor to fair - both of which are pretty rough), will still go for over a grand. Either of those cards with eye appeal at all (PSA 4 minimum) will run 2K, which is more than i'll spend currently on a single card.

My better basketball cards are a 1957 Bob Cousy PSA 6, 1969 John Havlicek PSA 8, and 1970 Pete Maravich PSA 7. The cards i've been after recently are a Jerry West and Oscar Robertson rookie, in PSA / SGC 6 condition.

For modern baseketball - I do 3 types of collecting: game used mem cards from HOF's i'm a fan of. I have a couple Jerry West, Bill Russell, Kareem, and Oscar auto and patch cards in the Immaculate and Flawless lines. I paid $75-150 ea for those cards. They are all serial numbered (low) and are neat pieces of guys I like. I have no interest in buying boxes of that stuff - it is for speculators, yes. Most people don't buy boxes of them, rather a genre of retailer/collector called "Breakers" buy them, and then sell them off by team or by player. Search ebay for something like "flawless basketball break". For say $50 you get a part of that box, maybe you spend $50 and get "Boston Celtics". Any Larry Bird or Jayson Tatum cards pulled are yours. There's only 10 cards though, so at best, 10 of 30 people will get something - 20 won't. It's a way to "buy" into that type of high end card, but again, that is pure gambling and it isn't for my tastes. I'd rather spend $150 and get a card I really think is cool, of someone I enjoy, that is unlikely to move in value one way or the other. A serialed Bill Russell auto was $100~ 10 years ago and is the same today. Actual number and type of card will drive that slightly one way or the other, but not much.

For stuff to open - with my boys, we buy Panini Prizm and Panini Donruss Optic. They are both the lower end of the hobby side - $3-8 a pack or so. We look for good cards of people we like, we sleeve any rookies that aren't doing much, and will trade/sell any hits of players we aren't fans of, and trade/sell high. Meaning, guys like Mo Bamba and Lauri Markkinen are inflated right now - their prices currently are based on them having HOF careers, so if they do that, the current values will stay the same, anything short of that and as you say, this Optic Holo Bamba Auto that's $200 today, will be $2 in 10 years. We trade/sell the crap out of that stuff, and to an extent it helps support the hobby. Those hits are pretty rare of course, but we get enough here and there to buy more packs and try to pull cards we like. Again though, for my actual collecting, I just buy the actual cards I want, not packs.

For modern rookie collecting - again, only guys I really like, and only things I feel like aren't speculative. I'm not and won't pay $500 for a Luca auto, but I have paid that for a Bowman Chrome /25 Westbrook auto. So for newer stuff, i'm collecting limited RC's of future HOF's that I like, that I feel the price on isn't too risky either. Curry, Harden, Westbrook. Guys like Durant and James have similarly priced limited RC's, but I'm not fans of theirs, so don't have any of their stuff.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Forgot to mention I have a sealed Ken Griffey Jr. rookie card. Looks like it's not worth much though.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I collect football and basketball heavily. A combination of collector mentality and bootleg production means 99% of cards need to be graded, or sold by one of the reputable sellers (Dean's Cards, Greg Morris Cards, etc).

Of grading, only PSA, SGC, and BGS are deemed consistent and legitimate graders. Beckett (BGS) also has BCCG (cheaper, less critical) and BVG (grading of vintage cards).

Greg Morris is a great seller.
Beckett slabs are nicer than PSA. SGC is a must for anything pre-war. PSA can get wrecked.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
At least you can actually play games.
How many times can you look at a fucking baseball card before you go senile?

theMot

10 Year Member
At least you can actually play games.
How many times can you look at a fucking baseball card before you go senile?

How many times can you die in the same spot in Ketsui before going senile?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Did the run on mark jackson 90/91 hoops cards finally fade?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Damn, collecting sports cards is more hardcore than I ever imagined! I'd pick up some sports cards every now and then when I was a lad, but, I mostly bought movie/cartoon or comic book cards instead.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I stay away from sports cards since it is hard to find them for far cheaper than you can easily sell them for. Gambling and "Investing" in entertainment commodities is not for me.

Most people want way more than their shit is worth.

It isn't my fault that the case of 91 fleer you bought thinking that you were going to get rich someday turned out to be worthless. Should have been hoarding cases of records instead.
-The point is that you never know what something is going to be worth in the future.

If I were to be hoarding anything right now, it would be CD albums released after 2010. And Blu-Ray audio discs.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Got a Luc Longly rookie card interested?