Anyone know of a solid repository for archived SNK/Neo-Geo sound effects?

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I definitely need these for a project I'm working on and if anyone has a bunch of this kind of thing ripped somewhere, it would be CRAZY helpful.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'm kinda looking for something like that myself. Always wanted to make a song with sounds from Neo/video games but sampling them would take an awul lot of time that I don't have at the moment and I don't know how to rip them from da romZ.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I feel like I've asked for a tip on this before and not found such a thing. I may resort to going sound test in MAME and actually recording them with a shotty mic. *shrugs*

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
If the game has a sound effect test you could probably rip them via the headphone jack and a line-in cable connected to your PC.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I remember back on Windows XP (and previous) you used to be able to go to your Sound Properties and under "recording" you could set it to "windows audio". You could then open up the default Windows "Sound Recorder" & have it record anything that's playing on your PC. It seems that option has been removed from Windows 7 unfortunately.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
If the game has a sound effect test you could probably rip them via the headphone jack and a line-in cable connected to your PC.

The ghetto patch cable from line-out to line-in does the trick every time. Just use a program like Audacity and grab what you need. Using the UniBIOS, this is really simple too because you can just drop into every games sound test from the diagnostic menu.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
What sucks about line-in though is the susceptibility for all kinds of interference signals but for those short samples it should be okay. Currently recording some music from my X68000 and the distance between the devices really makes a difference regarding the distortion.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Line-in rec and all that crap is not an option. Most of the time, you don't get the soundeffects standalone, there's always some other stuff (music, etc.) playing at the same time and separating the waveforms is not that simple. And then there's the shoddy quality. I mean, noone wants to make music with 16bit/44KHz stereo samples anymore. I want full 32bit float 96KHz stuff. :D;)

Back in the Amiga days, I wrote a little assembler prog that ripped chip- or sample-based sounds and music tracks out of a game. That is what we need here as well.

Anyone...? :)

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
There was a program I used that ripped sound effects out of MAME roms. I can't remember the name of it, but you load the rom up in it, and then a huge number list came down and each one you pressed had a different sound effect or actual stage music. I remember doing a Bad Dudes cover and I was able to rip a crystal clear sample of "I'm bad!" and "Got it!", but I never used it because I couldn't get it to sound right in the cover. Let me do some detective work and see if I can't find it, because it'll do exactly what you want. It's not a repository, but, hell, it's easy enough that you can get whatever you want + make your own.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Cool, guess I'll have to do some googling now. Thanks, Wes.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I found it. The program I used was "FoxM1" --nothing is labeled, though. I just loaded the Fatal Fury Special rom into it, and it was over 500 tracks (many blanks, don't understand what that's for). Music and voices. It'll be a time consuming process, though.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I found it. The program I used was "FoxM1" --nothing is labeled, though. I just loaded the Fatal Fury Special rom into it, and it was over 500 tracks (many blanks, don't understand what that's for). Music and voices. It'll be a time consuming process, though.

You beat me to it, I used to make my own soundtrack CDs with it. Great program.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Looks like the page fox m1 used to be on doesn't show up anymore, but I found another frontend for M1 that's supposed to be good (I'm downloading it myself now):

http://www.e2j.net/downloads.html

This one even has a list pack that contains the names of the sounds for many games.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Man, I'm definitely gonna have to try this program. Thank you, gentlemen!