Anyone know where to find a Dreamcast mod chip these days?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I'm lazy and don't feel like using boot discs anymore. Anyone know where you can pick up the 4 wire modchip these days? I swear there was I site I was on a few weeks ago that sold them for like $10 each or something and I can't find it for the life of me.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
You could also download selfboot disc images, quite a few are available now. No need for any separate boot discs.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
4-wire chips are getting more difficult to find. All of the places I had bookmarked are now OOS/404'd.

Edit: Mentioned the Dreamshell/SD Card reader soft mod method but looking at it, apparently that's still early and has shit for compatibility.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
412   0   0
hqdefault.jpg

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I've never had to use any boot discs any more, they are all pretty much self boot.

there's also a cool and easy region mod that changes the region on your Dreamcast with a CD. you just need to solder to 2 points, if you ever wanted to play originals.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
294   0   0
I've never had to use any boot discs any more, they are all pretty much self boot.

there's also a cool and easy region mod that changes the region on your Dreamcast with a CD. you just need to solder to 2 points, if you ever wanted to play originals.

You do need a boot disc to play original Japanese games on a U.S Dreamcast. I ended up purchasing a region modded dc from eBay.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0

I've actually done this, but it didn't work for some reason. No errors or anything, but my DC stayed Japanese region.

Also, fuck ISO's. I roll legit. I just have a mix of Japanese and US discs.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
There was a region free bios that was floating around for awhile...I dunno if the guy doing the mod is still around, but I think he was on racketboy.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
I've actually done this, but it didn't work for some reason. No errors or anything, but my DC stayed Japanese region.

Might as well just get USA and JPN Dreamcast consoles. When you want to play one, just unplug the current system and swap in the other one. They use the same cables.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
www.ncsx.com

I had mine done a few years back by them. IIRC, it was $35 with return shipping...yes, you have to ship them your DC.

Jon

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0

did one of the points have a resistor?

I also tried it, the guide says to feed a resistor 12v, it didn't matter which end of the resistor, on my Dreamcast there was no resistor at all, the 2 points where the resistor would have been solderrd to were there but no resistor present.

I had to get the 12v to the correct point or the region disc wouldn't do anything.

I finally got it to work, I can change regions now.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I don't remember, I'll have to open it up and look. Thanks for the suggestion.

If I can't find the 4 wire chip I may hit up that dude for the region free bios.