Anyone playing Project Cars?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Terrible name, but the game looks pretty good. I generally don't like these types of games, but I've had some fun with Driveclub, so thinking about exploring some more modern racers.

Anyone get this? Thoughts? I assume this is better than Driveclub, but not as good as Forza. Is this going to be bargin bin bound in a couple of weeks?

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Terrible name, but the game looks pretty good. I generally don't like these types of games, but I've had some fun with Driveclub, so thinking about exploring some more modern racers.

Anyone get this? Thoughts? I assume this is better than Driveclub, but not as good as Forza. Is this going to be bargin bin bound in a couple of weeks?

I picked it up yesterday. If you have an account on greenmangaming check your VIP tab, it was in mine for 37 dollars and its a steam key. I played last night and enjoyed what I played, but when I got in the career I kept getting nailed by the AI which is really weird for a sim racer. I am going to put some more time in this week, its more on the sim side of things than Driveclub.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Thanks guys, I'll probably get it one Xbone just because I want to get a wheel soon and will probably get the most mileage (pun intended) from it on the Xbone, with all the Forza games. Although I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on the Thrustmaster one...seems like quality is kind of hit or miss on those.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member

It's incredibly difficult. Driveclub got a lot of shit for how unforgiving it is (and the AI that will run you off the road), but Driveclub is far easier to play, IMO, than PC. The handling is kind of strange, to me- it's 90% sim, but not quite. Doesn't feel like FORZA or DC, it feels more like Need for Speed Shift (makes sense, I guess, same dev). As in, not as good.

And the AI is really, really weird. It will aggressively run you off the course all over the place.

It's okay, going to work at it for while, but FORZA is superior and so is Driveclub (Driveclub is actually really good at this point).

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Thanks Jro - that is disappointing. Isn't the AI or difficulty adjustable though? Or is that the case regardless?

I am having a lot of fun with Driveclub - I came to the party very late on that one (just got it recently), so maybe all the issues have been patched at this point. And that rain, holy crap does it look amazing - especially in the cockpit with the wipers going.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Thanks Jro - that is disappointing. Isn't the AI or difficulty adjustable though? Or is that the case regardless?

I am having a lot of fun with Driveclub - I came to the party very late on that one (just got it recently), so maybe all the issues have been patched at this point. And that rain, holy crap does it look amazing - especially in the cockpit with the wipers going.
The difficulty is, yes- I was playing it on the default mid difficulty. Granted, there's obviously a learning curve, but the car AI annoyed me the most, and it's probably one thing that's not changeable.

In DC, yes the AI cars will whack you and you can end up with the penalty, but at least they're predictable in that. In PC, damn, they'll actively seek you out to bump.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
The difficulty is, yes- I was playing it on the default mid difficulty. Granted, there's obviously a learning curve, but the car AI annoyed me the most, and it's probably one thing that's not changeable.

In DC, yes the AI cars will whack you and you can end up with the penalty, but at least they're predictable in that. In PC, damn, they'll actively seek you out to bump.

I would say both game are pretty aggressive AI wise, the difference is in PC when you get nailed you are screwed because of the sim mechanics haha.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Having spent some more time on PC last night, I can much more clearly explain how the AI is nuts. In Driveclub, the worst case is you lose top acceleration for a few seconds. Might cost you a place, but you can get it back.

In PC, if you go off course, for whatever reason (the AI nailing you, usually), your time is invalidated. Which means you don't have much choice but to restart the whole damn thing.

PC really feels like it needs a limited number of rewinds, since one small issue that's not the player's fault can ruin a race.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Having spent some more time on PC last night, I can much more clearly explain how the AI is nuts. In Driveclub, the worst case is you lose top acceleration for a few seconds. Might cost you a place, but you can get it back.

In PC, if you go off course, for whatever reason (the AI nailing you, usually), your time is invalidated. Which means you don't have much choice but to restart the whole damn thing.

PC really feels like it needs a limited number of rewinds, since one small issue that's not the player's fault can ruin a race.

Ugh, sounds pretty frustrating. Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by time being invalidated? You mean you are penalized? Or you are so screwed over that you won't regain your place so you may as well restart? Or both?

I'm just scratching the surface with Driveclub and haven't even touched Forza yet...so I am going to hold off on PC indefinitely. Still not sure how I feel about Forza Horizons 2 - will probably get it at some point though.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I would get it but I can't play without a wheel and I only have the fanatec csr wheel so it's not compatible with the xbone or ps4. my pc wont run the game, too old.

btw I have the fanatec clubsport pedals and they are amazing, I love them.

fanatec-2011-01-21-600-32.jpg

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Those are really nice. Does anybody know if any PS3 wheels are compatible with the PS4? I know none of the 360 ones would be with the xbone.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Those are really nice. Does anybody know if any PS3 wheels are compatible with the PS4? I know none of the 360 ones would be with the xbone.

I believe the T500RS works, I don't think it has been officially announced as supported by the PS4 but it was working with drive club.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Ugh, sounds pretty frustrating. Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by time being invalidated? You mean you are penalized? Or you are so screwed over that you won't regain your place so you may as well restart? Or both?

I'm just scratching the surface with Driveclub and haven't even touched Forza yet...so I am going to hold off on PC indefinitely. Still not sure how I feel about Forza Horizons 2 - will probably get it at some point though.

I understand it better in time trials and in qualifying- you have the current lap erased, regardless of your time, I lost a pole position that way. You get the same exact "off track lap time invalidated" for regular races, too, which is sort of weird- you're not racing for lap times like in a rally or something, the competition is against the other cars... I quit and restarted every time it happened to me in my career, which ended up being the first race about six times in a row.

The FORZAs are significantly better, both 5 and Horizon 2. FORZA 5 is sim-type, and Horizon is arcadey, but they're both very good and far superior to PC. Driveclub is probably just slightly behind Horizon in my order for all of them- it feels really good once you learn it, and the learning curve is just fun in that game, it's not punishing. The career structure is also pretty enjoyable- I like being able to run a track once and do okay but not great but still earn a star for something or other, then replay it and really get better and earn the other stars. It feels more like you're making progress regardless of how a race goes.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I wish they would incorporate the vita into these racing games.

use it as telemetry, gear indicator, shift lights, rear view mirror, etc...

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
So I finally decided to play through one of the off track violations, and I'm happy to say I was wrong- you don't get DQ'ed, your lap time just isn't eligible for any leaderboards/records/etc.

The AI cars would go careening off the track and then still come right back on, so I thought huh, doesn't look like HE'S being punished...

It's much more enjoyable when you don't have to worry about the slightest slip-up, obviously, and after a dozen or so races I finally feel like I have a little better hold on the handling. It's solid, after all, just has easily the highest learning curve of any racing game I've played in a while.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Spoiler:
ethan-disney-pixar-cars-22838425-1700-1100.jpg

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member

Sony and most wheel manufactures use the dev excuse. Other rumor is Sony doesn't allow it due to security chip bs, yet MKX for example has its PS3 sticks work on it. Then there is the CronusMAX adapter claiming wheels work lag free and they are working on an update to add force feedback.

TLDR: a mess pointed mostly towards no.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I just did some research....

project cars on ps4 supports the following wheels

PLAYSTATION 4Thrustmaster T300RSThrustmaster T300 Ferrari GTEThrustmaster T100 Force FeedbackThrustmaster T80Thrustmaster TH8RSThrustmaster TH8AThrustmaster T3PA PedalsThrustmaster T500RSFanatec Porsche 911 Turbo SFanatec Porsche 911 GT2Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 v2Fanatec CSR (+ Pedals)Fanatec CSR Elite (+ Pedals)Fanatec ClubSport Wheel BaseFanatec ClubSport Wheel Base v2

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I had a quick spin on this on Friday on my friends PS4.

I took the Pagani Huayra (the X1 version) around the Laguna Seca. I thought it was pretty solid, but unremarkable. Most track racers are though today, tbh - since Forza & GT have already been doing it to death all these years.

However, it played well enough and - if I had to compare it - felt reasonably similar to Forza really.

My yardstick is usually: "is this more enjoyable that GranTurismo" and, unsurprisingly... yes. Yes it was.

Would give it more time, but don't have the relevant consoles.

Out of the two, I preferred the "feel" and approach of DriveClub overall. I'd probably have more fun with that one as the track layouts (circuit or A-B) are much more interesting throughout, imo.