Anyone still into audio casettes?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Curious about your take on floppy disks?

I have no truck with floppy disks.

When I was in junior high, my stepdad found a box of his cassette tapes from when he was younger with all his music on them. My memory in general is shit, but I remember this day with absolute clarity. How happy (uncommonly happy, as he was usually a very stoic guy) he looked as he took a tape from the box and put it in the stereo tape deck. The sound that came out was a garbled warbly mess. I watched all the happiness drain from his face like someone pulled a stopper in his neck or something, replaced by a combination of horror and a sadness I don't think I could ever adequately describe, as he realized the last time he listened to this music years ago was -- unknown to him then -- the final time he would ever hear it. He did not say a single fucking word, but looking around the room, I could see that this profound pain had infected everyone present, and we all looked like a boulder was pressing down on our chests, making it hard to breathe. I was thirteen, but I remember very clearly in that moment coming to the conclusion that cassettes were the fucking devil, and I would go back to record albums until something better came along.

I also around that time had an Adam Ant tape I listened to so many times, it broke in the player. Fuck cassettes, and if you like them, fuck you, too.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
At least he could use the cardboard box for something useful. A win is a win

When I was in junior high, my stepdad found a box of his cassette tapes from when he was younger with all his music on them. My memory in general is shit, but I remember this day with absolute clarity. How happy (uncommonly happy, as he was usually a very stoic guy) he looked as he took a tape from the box and put it in the stereo tape deck. The sound that came out was a garbled warbly mess. I watched all the happiness drain from his face like someone pulled a stopper in his neck or something, replaced by a combination of horror and a sadness I don't think I could ever adequately describe, as he realized the last time he listened to this music years ago was -- unknown to him then -- the final time he would ever hear it. He did not say a single fucking word, but looking around the room, I could see that this profound pain had infected everyone present, and we all looked like a boulder was pressing down on our chests, making it hard to breathe. I was thirteen, but I remember very clearly in that moment coming to the conclusion that cassettes were the fucking devil, and I would go back to record albums until something better came along.

I also around that time had an Adam Ant tape I listened to so many times, it broke in the player. Fuck cassettes, and if you like them, fuck you, too.

:tickled:

:crying:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

I still bet the tape didn't sound as dissettling as David Lee Roth scating.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I still bet the tape didn't sound as dissettling as David Lee Roth scating.

"Dissettling" "Cultural Misappropriation"

Can't you just use the words and terms we've all agreed upon as a society? Unsettling, motherfucker.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
There’s a tape of DLR skeeting?

I’m not watching or listening to that.

MiniDiscs, or I’ll box your ears when I see you.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
"Dissettling" "Cultural Misappropriation"

Can't you just use the words and terms we've all agreed upon as a society? Unsettling, motherfucker.

Impossible for him. Remember, it's not flipping, it called humping to him.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Well, you like garbage, so is that a compliment? Cassettes are literally garbage. Deteriorating waste material.

Right now, I'm listening to a copy of a Soundboard recorded Greatful Dead show from 1988. TDK MX-90 with Dolby C (not my first choice, but I didn't copy it). The sound quality is amazing.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Right now, I'm listening to a copy of a Soundboard recorded Greatful Dead show from 1988. TDK MX-90 with Dolby C (not my first choice, but I didn't copy it). The sound quality is amazing.
Enjoy it while it survives. Mourn it when it inevitably deteriorates.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

When I moved back to Michigan 3 years ago, I went through all my old stuff and unearthed close to 200 random tapes (dubs and original releases, among other things). Just the other day I found some old childhood recordings I did with my brother and cousin. I'm going to transfer it digitally. It brought back a ton of memories. That being said, I love cassettes BUT of those 200, 30-40% have degraded. It's unfortunate. Problem is, unlike vinyl, most people didn't take care of cassettes. They were put in moldy basements, left in cars on super hot or freezing days, thrown around in a random box, etc.

Sorry about your Dad's loss, he should have tried another cassette player or another cassette. They can't all go bad.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Man, I inherited a retired co-worker's tape player so I thought, hey. Great time to bring in my old tapes from home. The wife will love the less of the clutter.

I gotta say, tapes are the worst. Whether it's your tape player that sucks, or the tapes breaking because they're brittle, or the classic tape being eaten by the player. Vinyl forever. Nothing more tragic than your thin lizzy tape totally biting the dust.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
When I moved back to Michigan 3 years ago, I went through all my old stuff and unearthed close to 200 random tapes (dubs and original releases, among other things). Just the other day I found some old childhood recordings I did with my brother and cousin. I'm going to transfer it digitally. It brought back a ton of memories. That being said, I love cassettes BUT of those 200, 30-40% have degraded. It's unfortunate. Problem is, unlike vinyl, most people didn't take care of cassettes. They were put in moldy basements, left in cars on super hot or freezing days, thrown around in a random box, etc.

Sorry about your Dad's loss, he should have tried another cassette player or another cassette. They can't all go bad.
They eventually all will go bad. Like VHS tapes, they deteriorate slightly each time you play them, until eventually it will become noticeable and ultimately unbearable. Cassettes (like VHS) are not an archival media.

I'm glad your childhood recordings with your siblings made it through okay, but I have a feeling part of that is luck and part of it is that you didn't listen to the recordings as many times as you would have your favorite albums. Good idea to transfer them now.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Man, I inherited a retired co-worker's tape player so I thought, hey. Great time to bring in my old tapes from home. The wife will love the less of the clutter.

I gotta say, tapes are the worst. Whether it's your tape player that sucks, or the tapes breaking because they're brittle, or the classic tape being eaten by the player. Vinyl forever. Nothing more tragic than your thin lizzy tape totally biting the dust.

Vinyl wears too and is also prone to a number of physical issues.

Enjoy it while it survives. Mourn it when it inevitably deteriorates.

This particular formulation of MX-90 tape isn't usually subject to the "Waxy White Dust" deterioration.

But nothing lasts forever.

Last edited:

TheMagicianLord

Rugal's Thug
I was until last year. Had a Nakamichi deck and a few Sony portables from the DD series. I like mechanical things, especially those with some history to them. Tapes were a good thing for the time, but they're just too prone to degredation. It's getting more difficult and costly to repair device from that era. I also have have a lot of random magnets, which don't mix well with magnetic media. I finally decided to get rid of all my tape stuff.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
They eventually all will go bad. Like VHS tapes, they deteriorate slightly each time you play them, until eventually it will become noticeable and ultimately unbearable. Cassettes (like VHS) are not an archival media.

I'm glad your childhood recordings with your siblings made it through okay, but I have a feeling part of that is luck and part of it is that you didn't listen to the recordings as many times as you would have your favorite albums. Good idea to transfer them now.

Last edited: