Anyone still playing Warhammer 40K these days? (tabletop game)

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Glad to see this thread still going.

I've not done anything painting in a while but after getting into 3d printing I've made some terrain and a few minis.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Glad to see this thread still going.

I've not done anything painting in a while but after getting into 3d printing I've made some terrain and a few minis.

Yeah I mostly 3d print for my boardgames and painting. I'm not playing anything tabletop related right now.
I have really considered looking for a 40k RPG group after playing WHQ:Blackstone Fortress.

Once i finish up some more of these mini's I plan to start on my first space marines. I have the Blood Angels from Space Hulk that need painted. I really don't like the current Eavy Metal techniques for Space Marines, so I'm going to see what happens. Edge highlighting looks terrible to me.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
have you played it solo yet?

I have not played BSF solo. I am only so-so on solo game experiences, and this one requires multiple characters to be controlled. The new Harlequin Solitaire looks like it would be a fun romp tho -- Overpowered single character for solo play.
I think the AI would really bog down solo play, but you can totally do it. Guerrilla Miniatures did a good battle report on their YT channel of solo play.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I have not played BSF solo. I am only so-so on solo game experiences, and this one requires multiple characters to be controlled. The new Harlequin Solitaire looks like it would be a fun romp tho -- Overpowered single character for solo play.
I think the AI would really bog down solo play, but you can totally do it. Guerrilla Miniatures did a good battle report on their YT channel of solo play.

I actually just pulled the trigger and bought this over the weekend as my wife was out of town and I could actually dump multiple hours into it. I spent an entire day into the night learning and eventually playing a mission. I really dug it! I've found with the handful of large games I've tried to play solo [The Others 7 Sins and Lobotomy to name a couple] they end up being too predictable or boring and I just end things early or give up. I go back to Caste Ravenloft for solo experience because it's damn fun.

Blackstone Fortress takes the cake for me though. It's really fucking cool. I dig the legacy element and the stasis bags to save your progress. Really glad I bought it and I see myself playing it quite a bit. It honestly has me wanting to paint the minis. My only complaint is I don't have a table big enough for it. I had to hand pick my combat map because they are primarily huge. (Which is rad, but I gotta get a larger foldable table or something) Great game though!

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I actually just pulled the trigger and bought this over the weekend as my wife was out of town and I could actually dump multiple hours into it. I spent an entire day into the night learning and eventually playing a mission. I really dug it! I've found with the handful of large games I've tried to play solo [The Others 7 Sins and Lobotomy to name a couple] they end up being too predictable or boring and I just end things early or give up. I go back to Caste Ravenloft for solo experience because it's damn fun.

Blackstone Fortress takes the cake for me though. It's really fucking cool. I dig the legacy element and the stasis bags to save your progress. Really glad I bought it and I see myself playing it quite a bit. It honestly has me wanting to paint the minis. My only complaint is I don't have a table big enough for it. I had to hand pick my combat map because they are primarily huge. (Which is rad, but I gotta get a larger foldable table or something) Great game though!

GW seems to be supporting it fairly well. I haven't digested all the content. The first two expansions are pretty light, but good missions. Escalation is solid. The new explorers are very well balanced.
I'd recommend checking out some resources to help with the rules. I see what GW was trying to do, but flipping through multiple manuals is a bit of mess.

The number one question on the facebook group: do you heal grievous wounds and wounds when you go back to precipice. Yes. you do.

https://www.notion.so/Blackstone-Fortress-Rules-Order-of-Play-v1-3-e2344cbd5be241aeb0dccfd69226221c

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Moved this summer. Now have a Warhammer store just 5 minutes from my house. Been looking to try Kill Team. Just don't see myself building a full blown 2k pt army anymore.

Is Blackstone Fortress that good? I've seen the box but haven't really looked at it much. What's this about being able to play solo?!?

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
GW seems to be supporting it fairly well. I haven't digested all the content. The first two expansions are pretty light, but good missions. Escalation is solid. The new explorers are very well balanced.
I'd recommend checking out some resources to help with the rules. I see what GW was trying to do, but flipping through multiple manuals is a bit of mess.

The number one question on the facebook group: do you heal grievous wounds and wounds when you go back to precipice. Yes. you do.

https://www.notion.so/Blackstone-Fortress-Rules-Order-of-Play-v1-3-e2344cbd5be241aeb0dccfd69226221c

I watched a 2hr long video "how to play" on GW youtube channel and I am pretty sure they said you heal ALL wounds on the precipice, so glad to know I haven't been cheating. Yeah, I have barely digested much of the content. I've played 3 missions so far, collected some clues. Drawn a couple "countdown" legacy cards...which I guess means when they run out you lose?

I just need a bigger table, jesus this game takes up some room. I am heavily eyeballing expansions as well - tempted to just go full retard on this one and paint my minis, etc.

Is Blackstone Fortress that good? I've seen the box but haven't really looked at it much. What's this about being able to play solo?!?

Well, I honestly don't have much to compare it to. I'm only able to play games solo - no friends into this shit, wife not into it, etc. So I have tried a handful of games solo and this is the most fun I've had so far. Runner-up is the AD&D Ravenloft boardgame. (great solo, but needs more solo missions...probably some fan made ones online?)

But yes, it's basically "Warhammer Quest" but a 40k version. I'm really digging it.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
The legacy cards are a timer. It makes it so you have to press forward and take chances. Plus they add some new stuff along the way.

I'd recommend the Ambull box over Traitor command. There is also an 8 mission narrative that uses this pack.
The card packs are good too. Abominable Intellect is just to make the game harder, but it does that by adding more minions. Most people skip it or they only use the Twists.

My only gripe is the lack of a strong narrative in the game. It's there if you read the short stories in the Black Library, but the game itself doesn't have a lot.

My 2019 BSF Annual is supposed to arrive shortly. This contains all the bonus content from White Dwarf issues. No cards tho :(
Not needed for the game, but its nice to thumb through if you need more stuff. It adds a lot more of the Retinue characters, which were introduced in the Escalation expansions. These are allies that you can rescue and have join the team, but they are not Explorer's. More like sidekicks.

It's been tough learning to paint GW mini's, but I'm almost done with everything for BSF. Just some traitor command and more chaos from the expansion are left.
BSF Heroes.JPEG

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
The legacy cards are a timer. It makes it so you have to press forward and take chances. Plus they add some new stuff along the way.

I'd recommend the Ambull box over Traitor command. There is also an 8 mission narrative that uses this pack.
The card packs are good too. Abominable Intellect is just to make the game harder, but it does that by adding more minions. Most people skip it or they only use the Twists.

My only gripe is the lack of a strong narrative in the game. It's there if you read the short stories in the Black Library, but the game itself doesn't have a lot.

My 2019 BSF Annual is supposed to arrive shortly. This contains all the bonus content from White Dwarf issues. No cards tho :(
Not needed for the game, but its nice to thumb through if you need more stuff. It adds a lot more of the Retinue characters, which were introduced in the Escalation expansions. These are allies that you can rescue and have join the team, but they are not Explorer's. More like sidekicks.

It's been tough learning to paint GW mini's, but I'm almost done with everything for BSF. Just some traitor command and more chaos from the expansion are left.
View attachment 55401

Damn! those look great man! I'm eyeballing a starter pack of paints and have been watching Miniac videos. This just makes me want to do this even more. I am starting my 3rd expedition now - but making time to play it is tough with holidays and whatnot. I bet it's really fun with multiple people.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Midwinter Mini's on YT did a whole beginner series on painting BSF mini's with just a basic set of paints and tools. First part of the video is tabletop quality. Second part is adding detail.
I used these at motivation more than technique. He paints most of his in an hour. I usually spend 4-8 hours a mini for tabletop-high quality. i need to work on speed painting for sure.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Those are great, Sneth.

*ninja*

I haven't painted anything, even my Blood Bowl team's progress has stalled due to Christmas preparations.

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
Moved this summer. Now have a Warhammer store just 5 minutes from my house. Been looking to try Kill Team. Just don't see myself building a full blown 2k pt army anymore.

Kill Team is where its at. I've turned a lot of new players onto the hobby because Kill Team is actually reasonable. You can buy 5-10 used models from your local second hand group and have a competitive army. The low model count makes painting manageable and leads to fewer grey plastic army games. KT is streamlined, quick, and fun. I've not played a full-sized game since the new GW rules released but I have played many more games because I can keep an army in my backpack.

If you do decide to buy official, you only need the basic rulebook. The other expansions don't add too much mechanically. The stats for the handful of models introduced can be found online easily. I recommend buying one of the starter sets to save money and build up some terrain. The Rogue Trader bundle is excellent with two unique factions and a few fun scenarios. Happy playing.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I don't play KT, but it's pretty much all i see at the FLGS. Competitive play and GW usually don't go well together, but it seems KT and Underworlds are doing amazingly well right now. The card packs in Underworlds was enough to turn me away, but those teams look amazing. I might try the online version to check it out.

I am a lot more of a boardgamer, but I still like the 40k universe. I don't play skirmish tabletop games anymore. That is why BSF is doing so well for me. It's not the best dungeon crawler boardgame I've played, but it's very approachable and has good mechanisms. it's also getting good support from GW and the community. I wish it had more narrative within the game, but there's lots leading up to the game.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Some of the stuff GW is pumping out now is incredible.

I mostly read 40k fluff, but the brass balls it took to bring Guilliman back to take over the imperium...

I think they are leading up to the God Emperor's return, but I really hope not.

Also, I hope Lugft Huron takes his rightful place as Abaddon's successor.

Blackheart survived a fucking combi-melta shot that obliterated half of him.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,

I like BSF but there's really just too much good competition on the market these times. If you're not into the models there are more reasonable options to pick up. That said although BSF misses a lot of fluff inside the game, it does a good job of "team development" over "hero development". Once you accept that it is pretty fun to rebuild your team for various missions.

As for the fluff they unfortunately really dropped the ball on that - big time. The first releases were one novel and 3 or 4 short stories. I picked up all of them and even on those first 4 novels the canon had alternate realities aka people behaved differently in different stories and did different things which don't fit the other novels. That really sucks and kept me from purchasing any more of these novels.
(Then again the Blacklibrary is a giant "hit and miss" game. You really have to find out which authors fit your likings and pick up the novels of these guys/girls then)

NeoSneth

20 Year Member

I mostly read 40k fluff, but the brass balls it took to bring Guilliman back to take over the imperium...

I'd be fine if they slowly unravel what happened to the Primarchs, but I don't think they are going to do that any time soon. I'd be amazed if they bring the emperor back in our lifetime.

I've been trying to get caught up on this Primaris marines stuff. I know it's just a way to sell more models, but I like Belisarius Cawl. Well i especially like the model. I'm not that interested in the primaris themselves. that seemed like a risky move on GW's part. I can see that splitting the fanbase as it kind of nullifies all the previous Astartes as now being weak.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I don't care for Cawl as a character and the story around the Primaris. I really like the Belisarius Cawl model though. I like some of the design elements on the Primaris figures, not so much the vehicles.

The new fluff really kind of broke the idea of the Imperium for me though. Stagnation... no more we can just make all this awesome new stuff. Well, they have to sell models so I don't fault them on that. Though I think it could have been done in a more fluff friendly fashion.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
A lot less annoying than talking about drugs and imaginary girlfriends. On topic, I need to get off my ass and finish the *test* figure for my BB team. My progress on that front is just sad at this point.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member

What are some books you'd recommend for someone to just jump in?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
What are some books you'd recommend for someone to just jump in?

Honestly, there are "40k lore" videos on Youtube that I'd recommend before jumping into the books. You almost need 40k:101 course before you can even understand what's going on in the books. They moved to a fairly complicated glossary in recent years. I put the 40klore videos on while I was painting boardgame mini's. 1.25x-1.75x speed depending on the topic.

simple things became fancy names in order to lock up IP.
Space Marines = Adeptus Astartes
Elves = Aeldari
Cyborg Martians = Adeptus Mechanicus
and so on.....

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’ve been enjoying the Horus Heresy books this past year or so.

I just finished Thousand Sons. Jumping to Crimson King next. I’m a Magnus apologist at this point.

I’ve read the initial Horus trilogy ( as well as 3 or 4 other books) but I like that I can basically explore certain topics by jumping around the series. After I read up on the Thousand Sons some more I’ll probably look at some Word Bearer stuff, even if Lorgar seems like a whiney bitch. The fact that they don’t have to be read in order (necessarily) is great.

What are your favorite books in the series? I really liked The Burning of Prospero. The perspective from a non-space wolf was great.

Edit: I’m still trying to convince my game group to run a 40K RPG. Getting closer...

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Honestly, there are "40k lore" videos on Youtube that I'd recommend before jumping into the books. You almost need 40k:101 course before you can even understand what's going on in the books. They moved to a fairly complicated glossary in recent years. I put the 40klore videos on while I was painting boardgame mini's. 1.25x-1.75x speed depending on the topic.

simple things became fancy names in order to lock up IP.
Space Marines = Adeptus Astartes
Elves = Aeldari
Cyborg Martians = Adeptus Mechanicus
and so on.....

I have a very casual knowledge of the universe going back to my first exposure being Space Hulk DOS game. I've been fascinated by the universe since but have only played the video games here and there and dabbled in the books. I know OF The Horus Heresy, but not enough to actually talk about it.

I've read some Dan Abnett (? I think that's his name?) books on and off over the years. I recently played Space Hulk Deathwing and am knee deep in Inquisitor Martyr. The only problem is I've never met another person in my normal life that played or knew about any of this shit. So, I've been relegated to just my own interest in the subject matter. Blackstone Fortress was a must-buy for me since it was finally something that let me play in the world solo.

I went to a Warhammer store recently and was tempted to show up on a game night and see if I can gel with the peeps that aren't TOO booger eater. I'm also super curious about Adeptus Titanicus. So, if you happen to know where in the Horus books I could get caught up on the Adeptus stuff? Is it something where I could just pick up a rulebook and it will have enough background and story to get me somewhat aware of WTF is going on? I really want to try and figure out a way to play that one.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I have a very casual knowledge of the universe going back to my first exposure being Space Hulk DOS game. I've been fascinated by the universe since but have only played the video games here and there and dabbled in the books. I know OF The Horus Heresy, but not enough to actually talk about it.

I've read some Dan Abnett (? I think that's his name?) books on and off over the years. I recently played Space Hulk Deathwing and am knee deep in Inquisitor Martyr. The only problem is I've never met another person in my normal life that played or knew about any of this shit. So, I've been relegated to just my own interest in the subject matter. Blackstone Fortress was a must-buy for me since it was finally something that let me play in the world solo.

I went to a Warhammer store recently and was tempted to show up on a game night and see if I can gel with the peeps that aren't TOO booger eater. I'm also super curious about Adeptus Titanicus. So, if you happen to know where in the Horus books I could get caught up on the Adeptus stuff? Is it something where I could just pick up a rulebook and it will have enough background and story to get me somewhat aware of WTF is going on? I really want to try and figure out a way to play that one.

Vaults of Terra (Horus Hersey Overview)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ_WBEU9_e4&list=PLvIuvM-ZW2yJ6U6vMjcy48yNV7_zoy-Sl

40k Therories ( 40k for Newcomers playlist)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpmaNo_I31A&list=PL7NUrRUMQlUTqgibSTXdRu7RZ9vCHqt1g