Anyone still playing Warhammer 40K these days? (tabletop game)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Also...are minis creeping up in size? I thought 28mm heroic was the "standard" but seems a lot of the stuff for sale is 32mm heroic.

This is correct. GWs 28mm stuff is essentially 32mm heroic. But they've increased the overall size of everything.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Are Reaper's minis more or less the same size as GW's these days?

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Reaper scales are different depending on the line. Dark Heaven (25mm) being a bit smaller than Warlord (28mm), for example. Warlord is 28 "Heroic", where heroic is defined as base to eye level instead of base to top of head. The "Heroic" modifier always seemed dumb to me, just call it 32mm or whatever if that's what the scale is. It's been about 5 years since I really followed Reaper though, so I might be behind on their newer stuff.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I just always thought heroic meant the figures weren’t anatomically proportional, they were designed with stylized looks in mind and ease of paint.

Compare a GW Imperial Guardsmen to a soldier with a sword and shield from their Lord of the Rings line. They’re both “28mm” but the LotR proportions are more accurate. Same with the minis that Mophidius produces, they’re a bit more “realistic.”

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Have you guys seen Rumbleslam? It’s a fantasy wresting game.

Literally some of the most hilarious sculpts I’ve ever seen. They have an orc hulk hogan named “gun” and a dwarf Randy Savage named “Ronnie Savage” and an Orc Chyna named “Porcelynn.”

It’s amazing.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Have you guys seen Rumbleslam? It’s a fantasy wresting game.

Literally some of the most hilarious sculpts I’ve ever seen. They have an orc hulk hogan named “gun” and a dwarf Randy Savage named “Ronnie Savage” and an Orc Chyna named “Porcelynn.”

It’s amazing.

I can see that being an interesting setting, but I have no interest in wrastlin.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The gameplay seems to really match the feel of an over the top wrestling match, complete with crowd dice where you need to get Cheer or Boo results (if you’re a heel) to do certain moves.

I got the 2 player starter. The minis are quite good actually, simply easy sculpts that will paint well given the exaggerated nature of the muscles and stuff. Looking forward to painting them.

Right now I’m building terrain for Frostgrave. Waiting on some parts for my resin printer atm and will hopefully have it running by the weekend.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Im having fun painting the rumble slam minis, hope to show my first team painted up soon. I'm just doing the speed paints.

I got my Resin printer up and running and boy oh boy...you want this set up in your garage or another workspace. I've read about people saying the fumes aren't "that bad" but - it's possible i'm sensitive to them - but they're bad. Wear your PPE folks. I immediately ordered low odor resin and a respirator. A mask like we've been wearing during covid isn't going to cut it. If low odor resin plus another box placed over this printer doesn't work in the space I have it in then I'm putting it outside in my carport, I'll figure something out lol.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Resin printing is good.

3AFC8CAB-11B3-43D8-8A6B-1DE17CE9859B.jpeg

32A5A889-A843-40AA-BB15-8EF126508A97.jpeg

Some resin goblins on an FDM tree.

5F6E79B0-1F0F-4F68-8855-D6391B3A0199.jpeg

Some resin minis doing battle amongst FDM terrain.

60DD2021-A150-4ADB-A677-7BA92973EC14.jpeg

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Those turned out really well. I need to get better at resin printing.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m really impressed with Resin printing. I’ve probably tripled the amount of minis I’ve printed since the above post.

I’m working on a big FDM set piece right now.

Initially I was buying nice models I liked but lately been searching out free stuff which has been fun. I usually get about 6 minis on my build plate with supports comfortably but I’ve got up to 8-9 depending on the model.

Here’s this FDM set piece. It will have some pillars and then tops for them as well.

CB1E48D0-B1B4-431D-BFB3-14E81D0125A2.jpeg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
LizardmenGroup_1800x1800.jpg

Casually happened upon this group of Lizardmen from Atlantic Wargames. You get 24 Lizardmen for $35. They can be outfitted with traditional swords and shields, these rifles, or Warhammer 40K-esque "auto guns" - Atlantic Wargames have a lot of nice Sci-Fi infantry that would fit as various 40K imperial guard, or could work in a Victorian Sci-Fi/John Carter type setting.

I bought the kit because Lizardmen with rifles delights me to no end. I have no clue what I will do with them, but I really wish I could find some minis of Ape Men that have an aesthetic similar to the Apes with rifles in the original Planet of the Apes.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
So, I just printed out a tray full of 28mm scale skulls. Warhammer 40K will never be the same after this. I don't have to buy skulls anymore.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
i want to get in 3D printing in the near future, where do I get plans so I don't have to pay GWs outragous prices anymore?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
https://www.reddit.com/r/PrintedWarhammer/ - Not sure if this is still popular.

There are a lot of copy-cat and models that look about 95% the same. For people making 1:1 copies of GW's IP you'll have to do a bit of searching around on popular 3D modeling sites like Cults3D, Thingiverse, Printables, etc. There are probably some (barf!) Discord "communities" who will get you the .stl files you need.

You'll probably key upon some common names people are using, like "battle brothers squad" instead of "space marine squad" and stuff like that. Keep in mind that GW is actively filing DMC takedown requests and moving forward with litigation on anyone infringing on their IP. Most sites hosting models are complying with these requests, some like Cults 3D are removing any paid models infridning on the IP but keeping up files they deem fair use "fan-art" though I'm not sure what that consists of.

If you want to get in to printing GW stuff then probably best to find the files now before they get ban hammered.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
i'll look into getting a 3D printer when I'm back from vacation next month.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Been working on Frostgrave terrain. Really been kinda lazy about it but I have three small houses done and working on some ruins which will go much faster, just lots of dry brushing.

Have been printing lots of FDM terrain but not as much minis from the resin printer (though I finished printing the rest of my Frostgrave warband, now to paint them.)

I decided to make a couple cars for the car mini game Gaslands (mad max essentially) because that seemed like fun. Spent $4 for 4 hot wheels and raided my bitz box, lol. Just need to paint them now:

Attachments

• 1063730C-722E-406C-88D5-C6FC9005B95F.jpeg
    1063730C-722E-406C-88D5-C6FC9005B95F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 27232F93-7C91-4E0C-8B78-45AAF009CFDB.jpeg
    27232F93-7C91-4E0C-8B78-45AAF009CFDB.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 9DE64BBF-E0CE-4BA8-AA69-730060FF9029.jpeg
    9DE64BBF-E0CE-4BA8-AA69-730060FF9029.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • BB046E5E-A069-4EDD-B23E-751125E4DADF.jpeg
    BB046E5E-A069-4EDD-B23E-751125E4DADF.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
I picked up Gaslands back when it came out. Never played it though. The cars you've got are turning out cool. So are you hitting up the toy aisles or just taking them away from your kids? If I had cars with guns and rams on them back when I was a kid, it would have been awesome.

Also, been working on my 3D printing and feel like I'm finally getting my printer and resin settings right as I've had a few really good prints in a row now. Been printing out some cyberpunk style minis and a bunch of Battlefleet Gothic type ships.

So, being stupid, I stabbed myself in the hand with the scraper trying to remove a print from the build plate. I printed a 90mm base directly to the plate and it was stuck super good. Gashed open my hand and smashed it pretty good about a week ago. Still is messed up but much better. That prompted me to get one of those flexible magnetic build plates. Installed it and after getting the z height back calibrated, it works great. Prints come off way easy now. I can just flex the plate and then they peal or scrape easily off.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I went to Target to get the hot wheels but I’m going to check out goodwill today because targets selection was poor. I want a truck, van, bus, bug, etc. I’ll probably make a War Rig from a tractor trailer like in Road Warrior or Fury Road. I ordered some sheet styrene/plasticard so I can make my own armor panels.

I have a flexible build plate on my resin printer as well. I usually don’t mod something until after I used it a few times but I’m really glad I got two flexible plates right off the bat and installed the setup before my first print. I use the ones from Wham Bam, and I have zero issues getting any resin prints off.

Later today I think I’ll look up some guns and stuff to print.

I’ve been getting the rulesets to a lot of miniature games lately. Really interested in trying A Billion Suns for some Space Combat.

So far all of Osprey’s stuff looks great.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Thingiverse has a TON of stuff for Gaslands/Car Wars/Hot Wheels + Matchbox kit bashing. Super cool, I'm looking through all this shit right now. Couple of nice prints of cars too.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Gaslands looks like a good time. I would love to mod up some old hotwheels and give them some proper paint jobs.