arcade game stored in freezing garage trouble

the.bet

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
Hi guys
I have an opportunity to get a terminator 2 arcade game at a great price. Problem is I will not be able to do anything with it for a couple months. Am I asking for a host of probilems if i sttore it in garage in MN all winter. I would not power it on. The garage is not heated. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
I am going to GUESS that it should not be a problem. I've left CRT tv's and electronics stored in a non climate controlled storage unit here in Colorado. We had a rough winter, one morning it was 18 below zero (that's not the wind chill either). After the winter, my electronics worked fine.

Maybe I'm lucky? But in my experience it didn't seem to hurt anything. Although, I think there would be some kind of long term damage with regard to caps getting dried out or what have you.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I would second malignant's sentiments. I've had, and currently have now, arcade machines in my garage during the winter. The only issue I've ever had was in trying to paint the things when it was cold as the paint doesn't dry all that well. Other than that, I've never had an issue. In fact before I moved them inside, I've played them out on the garage from time to time all bundled up.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Should be fine. I left a CRT projection TV out in a cold storage locker during an extremely cold MN winter and it was fine. It was a model with a high failure rate and I thought it would be damaged for sure.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It should be fine as long as it isn't very humid.

Bean_Bandit

New Challenger
I'm in WA and have had my Astro City in a non-insulated garage for about three years now. Thing still runs like a champ.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Cold climate is fine. As XX stated, it's the hot,humid climate that's unfriendly.
BB

Nerdygrrl

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
The only time it becomes a real issue is when you have drastic temp changes and the paint swells/expands and contracts. I don't think that will be an issue for the game or climate in question. If you want to be on the safe side remove any glass or plexi with art.

Mike26

McWow,
for 2 winters and summers while i was in college, away from home, my dad moved my cabs into the garage to make room for some pinballs he was working on. I came home and saw what he did and lost it. Turns out the cabs were fine, i'd even argue better off than in my basement, i think partially because the cold NY winters kept the garage relitivly free from humidity. Where as now, my basement needs 2 dehumidifiers to keep the instruments from warping and prevent humidity from causing us trouble. I think you will be fine so long as you prevent temperature changes, keep them to as minimal as possible.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
It should be fine but if you're going to bring them into your house after being out in the cold, let them warm up. Condensation can short stuff.

Last edited:

the.bet

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
Guys this is good info. My paranoia is much better after hearing your experiences.

the.bet

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
I've played them out on the garage from time to time all bundled up.
:lol: I laugh because I can TOTALLY see myself doing that. No trouble powering them on and off in the cold either. Very nice. Life is good.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
:lol: I laugh because I can TOTALLY see myself doing that. No trouble powering them on and off in the cold either. Very nice. Life is good.

Get a big enough CRT and that could keep you warm.