Arcade1up better than real cabs?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Are you planning to sell all your 1ups?

Eventually i guess, but they'll probably die off or fall apart before that happens. The wife doesn't like random strangers coming into the house to buy stuff and I'll be damned if I am loading them into the car to meet and sell to some goob from FB marketplace.

Except for tmnt, i moved them to the basement to make space for a bunch of musical instruments. they'll probably be fine there in the winter, but maybe they'll dry out and crumble like crackers in the summer when i run a dehumidifer there non-stop. I dont care, will make it easier to toss them out.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Eventually i guess, but they'll probably die off or fall apart before that happens. The wife doesn't like random strangers coming into the house to buy stuff and I'll be damned if I am loading them into the car to meet and sell to some goob from FB marketplace.

Except for tmnt, i moved them to the basement to make space for a bunch of musical instruments. they'll probably be fine there in the winter, but maybe they'll dry out and crumble like crackers in the summer when i run a dehumidifer there non-stop. I dont care, will make it easier to toss them out.
make with the pics of the instruments.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Ok will take some pics. I think we had a thread for music stuff from awhile back.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
so early reviews of Time Crisis are out ,seems you just cant past the small screen size. Really should have gone for the 19" screen. Also the recoil on the guns is terrible. Overall design looks cool but screen size kills it at that price. Ive seen the original for sale and it's just insanely impractical to have

Has anyone pre ordered this atgames 4k pinball? Seems promising but fairly pricey at $1300

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Amazon has some of these on sale right now, if anyone is interested. I looked at the games and couldn't understand why anyone would want a MvC cocktail cab. I was only really tempted by the Ms. Pac-Man table top. The prices, even on sale, seem pretty high for what is some trashy shit.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Oh wow they do make cocktail fighters with a split screen. That's uh an interesting choice... maybe it's their solution to two people trying to crowd around these tiny things.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Oh wow they do make cocktail fighters with a split screen. That's uh an interesting choice... maybe it's their solution to two people trying to crowd around these tiny things.
Personally, I think it looks stupid. If you're going to do a cocktail version, do it like the Joust version with both players on the same side (crowded but doable) or what one of my game rooms did: took one of the dual slant screens cabinet from a Nintendo Vs. and converted it to a two player fighting game: one on each side. Cool thing: they can't see your moves with the controller:

ng04.jpg

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Personally, I think it looks stupid. If you're going to do a cocktail version, do it like the Joust version with both players on the same side (crowded but doable) or what one of my game rooms did: took one of the dual slant screens cabinet from a Nintendo Vs. and converted it to a two player fighting game: one on each side. Cool thing: they can't see your moves with the controller:

View attachment 69641
looks like a sand blasting station

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member

View attachment 69641
I bet that is one heavy bastard with two CRTs in it.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I bet that is one heavy bastard with two CRTs in it.
A little top heavy but even with the legs extended (adjustable from sit down version to stand up), it took some effort to knock them over. They were nasty to work on considering the way the monitors are mounted, not to mention the gameboard and the coin mechs. Also didn't help when the monitors had issues since they were a special 18" size not found commonly. Still a cool piece when ours housed the dual screen RBI Baseball, then Super Mario on one side and Ice Climber on the other, then wired out to a fighting style game with players on opposite size. The place that had it closed down shortly afterward and its whereabouts became unknown. Here's an open one:

ng04a.jpg

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
A little top heavy but even with the legs extended (adjustable from sit down version to stand up), it took some effort to knock them over. They were nasty to work on considering the way the monitors are mounted, not to mention the gameboard and the coin mechs. Also didn't help when the monitors had issues since they were a special 18" size not found commonly. Still a cool piece when ours housed the dual screen RBI Baseball, then Super Mario on one side and Ice Climber on the other, then wired out to a fighting style game with players on opposite size. The place that had it closed down shortly afterward and its whereabouts became unknown. Here's an open one:

View attachment 69644
Mine had an MVS in it when I got it.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
My red tent is one of the lighter cabs I own. Two people can fairly easily pick it up and move it around a room, which is good because there's no easy, intuitive way to position it on a dolly.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
My red tent is one of the lighter cabs I own. Two people can fairly easily pick it up and move it around a room, which is good because there's no easy, intuitive way to position it on a dolly.
Yeah, I should say for two people it's pretty easy to move.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
What's up with the monitor? It looks like it's facing the wrong way.
That's the monitor for the other side of the cabinet. It hold two. The monitor was taken out on the open side.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
That's the monitor for the other side of the cabinet. It hold two. The monitor was taken out on the open side.
I thought that too but it doesn't look like there's much room left for another monitor. Probably just because I'm not familiar with them so my brain is trying to fill in gaps.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I probably have already mentioned this but...

God damn how much bullshit can you put on one of these cabs? This is literally a fucking eyesore. My eyes hurt just from looking at this still image. Imagine actually standing/sitting in front of this thing and actually attempting to play a game. Spoiler'd for eye protection.

1706725463485.png

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
I ended up goobin' and bought one of them, the SFII 35th anniversary yoga flame thing.
I didn't like the artwork much (I was all over the MK I one), but the line up was good and reviews said the screen / size / controls were better on this one.

Mixed feelings about it, but all in all it's rather cool for what it is.

The reviews are correct: the buttons are not very good (I anticipated and swapped them for Seimitsus), the screen is good, the whole cab is actually a decent height once on the riser... The joysticks are unexpectedly good too if you like strong springs; I kept them stock and just replaced the pears by balltops.
What bugged me was that... the cunting thing just didn't start when I switched it on! I had to resort to goobtube assistance, as apparently it's not unusual that the plug inside the metal casing that you're not supposed to open is actually unplugged, which was the case on mine.

So yeah, this particular model seems like a decent toy to teach the kid how to hadoken :cool:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah thats a common issue with them, as is the speaker cables sometimes not working or getting proper sound because the metal casing is bent juuuuust enough to where it prevents proper contact.