Arcade1up better than real cabs?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I have 0 interest in Blitz or MvC2. If they did Time Crisis, I'd get it in a second if it had some Point Blank on it, otherwise, I'd skip it or wait for a sale. Should have a custom V-pin from local Retro Replay Arcades coming in a couple of weeks. Nothing fancy, a mid-range gaming PC runs on windows 10 it and it has like 200 games on Future Pinball. I might add a bunch of other games and a front end if it isn't too bad to load up.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
They're cool to have around and if you can get one for cheap than I'd go for it, but honestly they don't look very appealing and I certainly wouldn't drop more than 100 on one. I can't believe MSRP is like 500 though, I think that's ridiculous, especially for a piss poor LCD panel they put into these things.

The mvc2 one is kinda lame imo. I feel like rather than make the effort of making an HD port to modern consoles, they were just lazy and licensed it to arcade1up to make a cab for it. It's just naomi emulation.

Just to get people to shut up about mvc2 I guess.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
it has like 200 games on Future Pinball.

In my experience Future Pinball is quite a bit worse than VPX. The number of standout FP tables that actually look and play well in a cab can be counted on one hand, whereas VPX has some jaw dropping stuff.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
In my experience Future Pinball is quite a bit worse than VPX. The number of standout FP tables that actually look and play well in a cab can be counted on one hand, whereas VPX has some jaw dropping stuff.
Do you have a v-pin? DId you build it or buy? I'll have to look into VPX. Future pinball isn't bad. I've heard of baller installer and Pinball Popper are amazing front ends; the guy I'm buying it from doesn't have a front end on it. Are they hard to set up?

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Do you have a v-pin? DId you build it or buy?

Yes, I built mine about 2 years ago. Bought the wood pre-cut because I'm lazy, other than that everything was done and assembled by myself. 3 screen setup with (I think) a 42 inch playfield. After I got it done my brother was so impressed he wanted his own, so we built another for him.

VPX (to me) was much, much easier to fool with than FP. I had my software setup done a while before Baller Installer was released. I reckon it basically just does everything I already installed but in one package rather than a dozen separate downloads.

I use Pinup Popper as a frontend, which is extremely easy to fool with. I run VPX, FX3, and FP tables through the frontend. There's only maybe 3 tables I ever use in FP. To me, VPX looks and plays closer to a real pin than anything in FP.

Setting up the software from scratch can be intimidating, but once it's done you never have to bother with it again. I slummed it on a lot of my cab by going with many of the cheapest options available (even then it still ran over $2000) but I am extremely satisfied with the outcome.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I missed out on the first batch of preorders

Then I got one through Best Buy

Then I cancelled it because I confirmed my original recollection that I don’t actually like MvC2. :D

@HDRchampion - loos good but i’m assuming you just got that for the online, so I hope they roll it out soon for you

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Now you can get rid of the inferior Naomi hardware
This is actually a dreamcast, not Naomi setup. I prefer the dreamcast version just because of the training mode and also much easier to switch out characters.
I missed out on the first batch of preorders

Then I got one through Best Buy

Then I cancelled it because I confirmed my original recollection that I don’t actually like MvC2. :D

@HDRchampion - loos good but i’m assuming you just got that for the online, so I hope they roll it out soon for you

You know if i didn't already have the MvC cab, i wouldn't be stressing w/ the online so much. I like that it has all the Vs games & also COTA in one pcb. Was tired of switching the xmen vs sf pcb/Marvel vs capcom pcb, when i wanted to play COTA or Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter.

Im hoping someone local will want to buy my old Mvc cab, or my bro will get another free cab.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Looks like the next game will be announced tomorrow. People are thinking it will be Time Crisis machine with 1 & 2, Point Blank 1 & 2, and Steel Gunner. Interested to see it...but not interested enough to buy. :p

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Turns out the announcement is a “pro” edition of the Killer Instinct machine.

$1000. They are out of their minds.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Turns out the announcement is a “pro” edition of the Killer Instinct machine.

$1000. They are out of their minds.
These MF are slowly but surely creeping up into real cab money territory.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
One of the main draws of home use arcade machines, are the crt screens that are better than what you can get w/ composite/s-vid/component + tv.

The screens on these 1ups look like *dogshit*. Why even bother?

neo_mao

15 Year Member
One of the main draws of home use arcade machines, are the crt screens that are better than what you can get w/ composite/s-vid/component + tv.

It really varies by release. The monitor on the SF2 I have is good and has really good scanline options. Honestly it looks great. The Big Blue I have though doesn't have the same scanlines, so even though the monitor is fine it honestly doesnt look good. That's been a big complaint...their releases just arent consistent.

For me it's a moot point now because it turns out you can put retroarch and a frontend on these things pretty easily since they are Android based, so I'm just slowly modding them into themed machines....a SF one, a Marvel/ Vs. series one, 4 player Konami one, and a vert shmup one.

Surprisingly I can get everything up to CP3 running/looking great on the original A1Up pcbs. Even for shmups I can get Cave stuff through DDP DOJ and Ketsui running great...Ibara, Mushi and everything after run but the framerate drops too much to be playable.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I didn’t know the screens varied. I’ve only ever played the NBA Jam that Costco was demoing, and it looked bad.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Who still makes CRTs? In 20 years they’ll be exponentially less CRTs out there - most of them will be in landfills.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Who still makes CRTs? In 20 years they’ll be exponentially less CRTs out there - most of them will be in landfills.
I've read before that there are no companies that still make crts and the tech is totally dead from a manufacturing standpoint. At least in the US loads of people have already long since thrown out or recycled their crt TV's from the 90s and early 00s, so yeah, fixed supply that has rapidly dwindled over last 15 years.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
If Russia and China still make vacuum tubes seeming exclusively for the guitar amplifier and audiophile markets someone will step up and make a CRT that is retarded expensive just for nerds.
I'll probably just eventually buy a retrotink 5x and call it a day.

Last edited:

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Fuck SmartTVs btw
I was happy to find out that you can buy non smart tvs from places like best buy.
Usually sold under the title of commercial television.
It's not like you can't add those features anyway with something like a Roku box if you want them later.

Last edited: