Arcade1up better than real cabs?

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I hooked up the Mister with some crappy PC monitor, and it looks fantastic. I daresay, it is pretty damn close to a PVM/BVM but cost like nothing. With Mister, you can add scanlines and what not to make it look like a CRT, and these monitors usually have fairly decent video tweaking options to make the geometry better.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
At least we know what the basement of the "modern man" is confirmed to look like now.
That or your average NG.com member.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Who still makes CRTs? In 20 years they’ll be exponentially less CRTs out there - most of them will be in landfills.
There already is a dwindling supply. There are tons of guys who think it's their duty to drive around and "save" any CRT they come across. Not just higher end desirable ones either, literally anything that's a CRT. They grab them off of curbs and pull them out of dumpsters. Some guys even hang out at electronic recycling centers and try to catch people on the way in. Of course these guys are nuts though, they post pictures of their TV collections on social media constantly, it's not uncommon to see these guys have 15-20 shitty old TVs in a small apartment.

The CRT enthusiast group on FB is possibly the most depressing and delusional group I've ever encountered and it an extremely active group. Almost none of them actually use their TVs, they just constantly fuck with the settings and endlessly discuss screen geometry, needlessly recapping every component and every other autistic thing you can imagine. Taking pictures of the same 3 games title screens endlessly is about the most use they see.

The price for RGB monitors has gone through the roof because of these guys as well. They're paying upwards of $2000 for a PVM that just 2 years ago would have been around $200 or less.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I think I posted this in another thread, but I would be happy never to touch another CRT again.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I think I posted this in another thread, but I would be happy never to touch another CRT again.
I know I never will, especially after the last one I touched shock the living crap out of me :tickled:

Moral of the story: Always unplug, then discharge monitor before working on it.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
De-casing TVs will keep the arcade cabs running (rsg hooked up what ended up being my Blast this way) unless these mongs that terry is talking about, cause free curbside TVs to price spike as well.

I’m not opposed to a 4:3 flat panel solution for cabs; I’m opposed to the solutions I’ve come across that look like shit.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I’m not opposed to a 4:3 flat panel solution for cabs; I’m opposed to the solutions I’ve come across that look like shit.
This is what I want, I don't care it it's not the same I just don't want to have to dick around with and worry about 30 year old tubes and components but like you said there isn't an actual good solution as of yet.

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
De-casing TVs will keep the arcade cabs running (rsg hooked up what ended up being my Blast this way) unless these mongs that terry is talking about, cause free curbside TVs to price spike as well.
This is already happening. People will happily pay $20+ for a dogshit Emerson tv if it has a vcr built in. The crt group on fb is hilariously sad to watch

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The cassette people are just as bad. It’s fucking wild.

And I say that as someone who owns a few CRTs and tape decks still.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Never underestimate nerds' ability to create increasingly ridiculous subcultures to try and differentiate themselves from one another.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Cool. I wish my parents didn't give away our childhood TV, either. However, the thing was as big as a couch and, we somehow got used to it being oversaturated in red. It had those pitchforks of death, too. The ones you had use an RF modulator or, a converter plug on to get AV cables to work.

Jon

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
So Time Crisis has been leaked and it is hideous. Absolutely hideous. Wasn’t interested anyway, but was expecting something a little snazzier

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
You know what, I thought I hated RF connections for old consoles, but I had to use RF recently to connect my Atari 2600... and that stuff is good for fake enhancing such simple graphics as the atari 2600... The RF signal noise gives some fake shadows and additional color depth to the limited palette simple graphics of the atari 2600. It actually seems like it enhances the graphics for some games. I'd probably never want to use RF on a playstation or similar though...

Playing old games has a big nostalgia component to it for some people. I can imagine people who grew up with the RF signal on a CRT tv enjoying the experience more from a nostalgic recreation perspective if their setup in 2022 apes that old cruddy experience.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You know what, I thought I hated RF connections for old consoles, but I had to use RF recently to connect my Atari 2600... and that stuff is good for fake enhancing such simple graphics as the atari 2600... The RF signal noise gives some fake shadows and additional color depth to the limited palette simple graphics of the atari 2600. It actually seems like it enhances the graphics for some games. I'd probably never want to use RF on a playstation or similar though...

Playing old games has a big nostalgia component to it for some people. I can imagine people who grew up with the RF signal on a CRT tv enjoying the experience more from a nostalgic recreation perspective if their setup in 2022 apes that old cruddy experience.
When we got our 7800 it only had RF. The video and audio was so noisy, and it was the holidays so someone turned on a blender or mixer upstairs and the screen went crazy. That S-video mod we ended up doing couldn't come fast enough. It was a huge improvement.