Are the reactions to Trump winning rational?

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
I've never seen anything like it in my life.

People threatening to kill themselves because Trump won. People telling me that anyone who voted for him is a misogynist, racist, and everything else. I know people who voted for him that are not those things, they just did not believe in Hillary.

I didn't vote for Trump or Clinton. I didn't think either were quality candidates, and for me to vote, I'd truly have to believe in the person running, which I generally don't. Maybe that makes me ill-informed to understand, but I really cannot understand reacting in this manner to a presidential election.

Is this even normal? I can fully understand being upset, but this has gone to another level that I am struggling to even understand. Does anyone here actually think their rights are going to be stripped from them because Trump won?

While I have political views, I'm generally apathetic to the election process as regardless of who wins, I see no changes in my own life irrespective of who is sitting in the White House.

I get protesting if we actually had a body of work from Trump that you could go okay, this doesn't work and it's fucking up things more. But to be protesting over an election result that was not what Bush v Gore 2000 was? It seems a bit much. Apparently 33% of Hillary voters think the election result is not legitimate according to an ABC News poll. All because Hillary lost, suddenly it's not legitimate? What the fuck?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
When I worry about the way things are going politically, and how it might affect the economy, I remember that I lived through the worst financial crash in living memory and during that time I perhaps took a 5% hit in overall income. I probably put up with a car that I didn't like for 6 months longer than i would have done otherwise, and that was about it. Then I don't feel so bad.

However, my position in society is pretty concrete. I'm white, able bodied, reasonably young, financially comfortable, have a decent education and qualifications, I'm straight, in a long term relationship and live in a nice neighbourhood. Perhaps I would feel differently if a few of those things were changed and my position was a bit more precarious.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
~don't weep for America
weep for freedumb..

yH7Unn1.gif

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
However, my position in society is pretty concrete. I'm white, able bodied, reasonably young, financially comfortable, have a decent education and qualifications, I'm straight, in a long term relationship and live in a nice neighbourhood. Perhaps I would feel differently if a few of those things were changed and my position was a bit more precarious.

I'm Azn... a member of a one of the most aggressive gaming websites on teh nets... my position in society is AWESOME!...

Just sayin'...

xROTx

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Most of it no, but at the same time to a small point I can see why. The media has stirred up so many lies, manufactured stories (along with the legit ones), buried things that don't fit their image of Trump it should scare people. Over at racketboy there's a thread going on how f'd up things are (general thread that Trump oozed into) and he had this long post, well cited, lots of images. Many of these stories of scared muslims women with their head scarves thrown off are being found to be manufactured and debunked, some with various so called attacks from whites working over minorities. Also not that many weeks back there was this Trump event, a gay group showed up there in support, but you don't hear about this in the US media do you? Better yet, Trump actually pointed at them, asked for their huge rainbow flag that said ilke LBGTQ for Trump on it, pulled it up on stage and waved it for a cheering audience and mugged for the camera with it. Who carried that shit? Third string honest local media and the foreign press not in the back pocket of the DNC suck up machine.

When you see fucked up one sided coverage of the guy, not one of them other than his few buddies in the press like that crank Hannity on Fox's nightly opinion block, covering the other side of it you'd be scared to a point too. Ever read the guys plans for the future on the site for a long time now? The dude is like a 1980s style blue dog democrat with his infrastructure plans, his government blue collar jobs bill ideas (vs the lefty work for the green jobs/made up jobs numbers stuff) and others. Sure he has some goodly right leaning stuff when it comes to the dollar like forcing social security to ONLY be tapped for those paying into it locking it away from pilfering politicians who have used it as a fund for shitty democrat(more than republican but both) mooching plans which has bankrupted it and more. The rational members of the DNC remaining say they will work with the GOP in the Senate and House to pass such things to help the big swath of the US that took it in the ass the last 10 years. Again, something the press on the large is NOT covering.

Watch his first 100 days if some psycho doesn't assassinate him first (or shortly after) and you'll see what government was back under the days of Reagan, Bush Sr and Clinton -- parties working to actually get shit done versus stomping their feet and telling each other go radical my way or kiss off. I'm no Trump fan, did not vote for him or her, but I can see if you get beyond the fear mongering lies and spin of the media who caused this irrational wave of panic and suicide watches it actually could turn out pretty well, or at worse, 4 more years of deadlock but not likely(at least for the first 2 if the DNC pulls off a midterm majority.)

I'll throw this out there, fear December 19th. Currently there is a petition out there now with over 3M of 4.5M needed that wants to have Democrat votes count twice basically. They will come to the 1/3 of states that do not bind electors to vote for the winner (such as mine being one) and they will twist arms, beg, plead and offer assistance to switch votes to Clinton to steal the election a month and a half after the fact. Those who are not bound, states have like 1K-10K penalties for switching, and these petitioners will pay for all court costs, fines, losses and more to make sure Trump is not put in office. They're actually willing to subvert 250years of election history in this country for their own petty bullshit. Guarantee you, they fear 2nd amendment gun rights now, watch all those red leaning counties in many spots rise up in some kind of armed insurrection over that crap if it actually happened. You want American Civil War Part 2, that would be the one true way to do it.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
tooki #realtalk tho

on a cell phone that looks like the great borderWall of text

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Well let's see... over the years, Trump has been back & forth on everything(isn't even a real Republican). He only ran for President as a joke(most likely didn't think he'd get this far). He's a real estate mogul who's made his fortune off of screwing people over and "settling" in court. He has no political background. There's of course the whole "racist" thing(the KKK supporting him for one).

There's the immigration issue, abortion, gay rights, etc... but the most important to those in dire need:

Affordable Care Act(aka 'ObamaCare') - This has been a big help for people on the poverty level who otherwise couldn't afford decent insurance(or insurance at all). Also, lot's of people who have pre-existing conditions require this for continued survival. Why?... beforehand they were either denied insurance, or had to make un-affordable payments.
[yes, Trump did recently say he'd let people with pre-existing conditions continue to receive health insurance... but we'll have to wait & see how that actually turns out]

With all the protests lately(+ people wanting to move to Canada over this), he has yet to come forward and talk to everyone. The most recent news is how he just wants to live in the White House part time.

On top of everything... the American people(majority) voted for Hillary Clinton. Yet the 'Electoral College' gave the presidency to Trump. Regardless of how you argue this, it comes down to this: The American people don't want Trump... but that's who they've been given.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well let's see... over the years, Trump has been back & forth on everything(isn't even a real Republican). He only ran for President as a joke(most likely didn't think he'd get this far). He's a real estate mogul who's made his fortune off of screwing people over and "settling" in court. He has no political background. There's of course the whole "racist" thing(the KKK supporting him for one).

There's the immigration issue, abortion, gay rights, etc... but the most important to those in dire need:

Affordable Care Act(aka 'ObamaCare') - This has been a big help for people on the poverty level who otherwise couldn't afford decent insurance(or insurance at all). Also, lot's of people who have pre-existing conditions require this for continued survival. Why?... beforehand they were either denied insurance, or had to make un-affordable payments.
[yes, Trump did recently say he'd let people with pre-existing conditions continue to receive health insurance... but we'll have to wait & see how that actually turns out]

With all the protests lately(+ people wanting to move to Canada over this), he has yet to come forward and talk to everyone. The most recent news is how he just wants to live in the White House part time.

On top of everything... the American people(majority) voted for Hillary Clinton. Yet the 'Electoral College' gave the presidency to Trump. Regardless of how you argue this, it comes down to this: The American people don't want Trump... but that's who they've been given.

...been getting our facts from social media, have we?

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

You really have no idea how the electoral collage works do you?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

The Affordable Care Act ended up being a shitty fucking act to anyone who pays their own insurance without subsidies, which I guess you don't since you are defending it. Have you read Donald Trump's health plan? It's probably more ambitious than the ACA.

Electoral College in quotes, like it's some kind of dubious coalition. Jesus christ man. I will give you that "the american people do not want Trump" but guess what, faggot? They didn't want Clinton either. In fact, not even 1/3 wanted her.

Abortion, gay rights, immigration - you know how those will pan out, or is that projection? Have you read any of the events surrounding Trump and gays? If you sincerely believe the shit you've written here, then please, do the world a favor, buy a gun, and kill everyone around you. You live in an echo chamber in desperate need of a final menstruation.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Many many people here have acted sexist and narcissistic. Trump's racism? I think for me it'd be Curiel, which was his biggest fuck up of his campaign imo. It wasn't like he said anything hurtfully racist though about him either, but he literally described what racism is in his meaning towards him.

Mexico is a very corrupt country. Saying they ARE sending criminals and rapists and killers though is over reaching.. A small minority do fit this and most are just people wanting to better lives here who offer nothing but good if given the real chance at being citizens. This is why I want a blanket amnesty over who is here, then erect the damn wall to lessen the amount coming in. People will get through, but less people equals less piggy backing and theft from licensed workers.

I also agree with Trump to deport violent illegal offenders. I like Mexicans, and their amazing work ethic. They'd make great citizens if they ever had the chance of amnesty, and they wouldn't be forcibly relegated to vote for liberal presidents non stop to prevent potential deportation.

Those votes are like a hostage crisis. Their adult children are FORCED to vote for the left to protect their parents. Ever wonder why Obama hasn't just amnestied all these people? Why would he? It's bad business. He did say come out of the shadows. So why not issue a fucking order to amnesty them? Why would he or any other dem president risk losing all that free blue money to continue that power flow? (Before the feelings artists fry me on this one, this is a conspiracy theory in my mind on potentially why things are handled as they are, so please respect it as opinion speak. I cannot substantiate it. It's just what I've wondered. Grain of salt.)

We give 55 electors to a presidential vote, which immediately cripples the right, and insures our electors are guaranteed to the left in all but word promise. Everyone KNEW election night Hillary had California no matter what. Which is 55 in the bank early. So you gotta attach those 55 to anything Trump gets right from the start on assumption.. He's forced to win big states to pull over that 55 glass ceiling.

55 is the top amount of electors in the entire country also. This is why him winning Florida left him in contention the entire night. It's merely a counter punch. Especially since Florida can easily swing left and barely almost did. I personally believe that no liberal president would ever want to amnesty people from Mexico, because as they'd integrate more, they'd expect more for their talents and skills. This is where the right becomes more attractive..

People do not get how similar whites and mexicans are in many ways. I love the concept of amnesty. This way they can pay into the system. It's a simple idea and I think it'd work great. Personally due to my location almost all my friends are Mexican. I don't even have a single white friend I actively even hang out with. It's not intentional. I am not totally racist towards other whites, but it just doesn't trend with me currently. It's bizarre, but it makes sense due to the high amount of mexican concentration here.

Let's really analyze this Trump racism though. He said first they were not sending their 'best'. So he's acknowledged condescendingly that criminals are coming and they have good people there, but we're getting bad ones. So immediately he's overblown the violent criminal thing and assumed wrong.

Still though, does that specifically have anything to do with race, or is this a cut down on a culture? Last I checked, Mexico was a corrupt country, and calling that out isn't racist. Though it is easy to let the feelings that come with that statement make it more specific then it really was.

Knowing Trump. Who the hell knows, it could have come off less racist then he intended. The guy is a grab bag. This chaos makes him humanly relatable no matter how many it disgusts. How does it really make it about race as a direct context with the statement specifically though without some form of reaching? What if he had said that about Canadians. Would anyone call him racist?

Trump supporters need to just cop to the fact part of their vote was aroused from a concern for Muslim migration. Mine sure was. I am not sitting there excited to see Europe 2.0 where you got leaders like Merkel who care so much about political correctness and forced multi cultural-ism. Look at Sweden. That place was a nightmare of censorship now to hide the general demographic that stuff was coming from.

This was probably the general feeling people had with Hillary and the refugee's. She was Merkel reloaded. Meanwhile I'm on neo-geo.com reading posts from furious people like Shroom telling us about what is going down. I was heavily involved in experiencing European members issues with this.. It influenced me a lot.

So, let's contrast things: A illegal mexican immigrant who is violent may kill someone, but I'd rather take the 'texas hold'em' style variance to allow that, then bring a ton of war torn people in with naive faith they are all going to be respectful and immediately move away from a religious and political ideology that makes assimilation a nightmare? No, it is absolutely not fair to be prejudice towards them and assume so terribly either. This is what is so difficult about the times we are in. It is wrong and cruel, and especially bothering to me with innocent children..

I live in literal driving distance from that San Bernardino attack when that happened, and the main guy behind it was and american muslim. Khizr Khan is bitching up something fierce over Trumps disgust towards Islam, but WHO killed his son? A suicide bomber that he heroically stopped..
You won't see a liberal media head bitch about Islam, because Islam is the ultimate way to fuck up leftist style reasoning.

People tell Trump supporters they got conned. I mean of course it was a con, every campaign ever has been a con. Trump is skillful in inclusiveness and persuasion. I preferred his con to Hillary's. It's just these straw grabbers five minutes out the gate calling all these media opinion pieces from the same fucking sources citing all these polls.

Really? Let's let him actually take the office first. He'll appoint dumbasses, but its the variance once again. Donald Trump is like having my clueless gardner run a nuclear plant the next day. It's a terrible idea, but the results will be a 'blast'. (hopefully not literally, ahaha....) Of course it's a risk, but it was the decision I made and I stand by it. His basic core shit was worth voting for to me, and if he does nothing. Hey, I tried for what I wanted and I can complain if I choose to.

Wanna hear the sad truth? EVERYONE is racist on some level. I consider it part of human nature.

If you've never had a racist feeling in your lives once, then you are not a racist. Good luck finding those people though. I've never met a person who could claim that.

Only one I've seen in the media is Lil Wayne, who is a amazing interview. Seriously, he's out of this world bizarre and speaks his heart pretty heavy at times. Probably just a lot of drug induced peaceful momentary feelings though.

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
going to school in boston, it was stunning to see how many entitled millennials took to the streets to protest not getting what they wanted. at the same time, it was goddamn hilarious to hear them say shit like "this is what democracy looks like"

you could just taste the salt in the air wednesday night.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
you know it's funny.. i remember a lot of this same stuff happening 4 and 8 years ago.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
going to school in boston, it was stunning to see how many entitled millennials took to the streets to protest not getting what they wanted. at the same time, it was goddamn hilarious to hear them say shit like "this is what democracy looks like"

you could just taste the salt in the air wednesday night.

As racist as New England is, I'd have thought Trump would've been right up their alley.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
if you want to know why there is so much protesting..

rQwt3TK.png

it all makes sense now.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've never seen anything like it in my life.

People threatening to kill themselves because Trump won. People telling me that anyone who voted for him is a misogynist, racist, and everything else. I know people who voted for him that are not those things, they just did not believe in Hillary.

I didn't vote for Trump or Clinton. I didn't think either were quality candidates, and for me to vote, I'd truly have to believe in the person running, which I generally don't. Maybe that makes me ill-informed to understand, but I really cannot understand reacting in this manner to a presidential election.

Is this even normal? I can fully understand being upset, but this has gone to another level that I am struggling to even understand. Does anyone here actually think their rights are going to be stripped from them because Trump won?

While I have political views, I'm generally apathetic to the election process as regardless of who wins, I see no changes in my own life irrespective of who is sitting in the White House.

I get protesting if we actually had a body of work from Trump that you could go okay, this doesn't work and it's fucking up things more. But to be protesting over an election result that was not what Bush v Gore 2000 was? It seems a bit much. Apparently 33% of Hillary voters think the election result is not legitimate according to an ABC News poll. All because Hillary lost, suddenly it's not legitimate? What the fuck?

Nah bro, people are over reacting. He's our president and he got in fair and square. As citizens/residents of this country we have to stand by him and hope he does good for us. I don't agree with everything he stands for but life go's on, fuck it. We have to stay strong and at least give him a opportunity.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
if you want to know why there is so much protesting..

rQwt3TK.png

it all makes sense now.

C'mon. That can't seriously be the best you got to defend this chaos. Just call it what it is. Whiny spoiled brat bullshit.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
C'mon. That can't seriously be the best you got to defend this chaos. Just call it what it is. Whiny spoiled brat bullshit.

dude. its a fucking joke. if you think im defending this stuff with that, you're out of your damn mind.