Atari Lynx ballers post here!

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Songbird is cool and seems to be me to be an incredibly dedicated person. I remember looking up atari lynx stuff 20 years ago and finding his page, which even then, was selling prototypes and indie games for lynx and jaguar.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Finally got my Lynx 2 fully operational done some major mods to it. The usual Mcwill screen, caps, voltage regulator, etc. Went further and had added another DB-15 3 row besides the VGA out to have an external controller mod. Used a Jaguar controller (best use of this shit controller) removed the phone pad pcb made a block off plate. Works really well, I had to build some standoff's for both DB-15's to raise them up about 3/16" because solder side with heat shrink was putting too much pressure on motherboard for two halves of system to close properly. Lot of damn work but turned out perfect.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Finally got my Lynx 2 fully operational done some major mods to it. The usual Mcwill screen, caps, voltage regulator, etc. Went further and had added another DB-15 3 row besides the VGA out to have an external controller mod. Used a Jaguar controller (best use of this shit controller) removed the phone pad pcb made a block off plate. Works really well, I had to build some standoff's for both DB-15's to raise them up about 3/16" because solder side with heat shrink was putting too much pressure on motherboard for two halves of system to close properly. Lot of damn work but turned out perfect.

pictures?

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Pics would be great. Curious how the jaguar controller came out looking when you took out the numpad.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I took plenty of pics of the build process just not sure how to upload them here anymore. Hell it's been years since I have posted any pics I think it was photobucket I last used. I'm sure they are way easier ways to upload now just haven't looked into it.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
These days, I think you can just copy and paste them into your reply, or there is even a button to upload pics to your post. If you want to host them elsewhere, you could use imgur.com, and then link to the album, or else copy the links of each picture. It's never been easier to stick photos into forum replies than right now :)

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
These days, I think you can just copy and paste them into your reply, or there is even a button to upload pics to your post. If you want to host them elsewhere, you could use imgur.com, and then link to the album, or else copy the links of each picture. It's never been easier to stick photos into forum replies than right now :)
Ok thanks for that info I'll give it a shot this weekend to see if I can get it to work for me. I would really like to show you guys the build and how great everything turned out.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I think it was actually a solid system. It gets a lot of unnecessary hate. At the time it was released it was the only place to play a lot of these Atari arcade games at home. I kind of wish I still had mine and the games.

Definitely not much of a portable system because of the way it ate up batteries. I have a lot of good memories of it though.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I think it was actually a solid system. It gets a lot of unnecessary hate. At the time it was released it was the only place to play a lot of these Atari arcade games at home. I kind of wish I still had mine and the games.

Definitely not much of a portable system because of the way it ate up batteries. I have a lot of good memories of it though.
I guess it depends on your definition of portable. For me, as long as it ran off a car cigarette lighter you could use it on car journeys, and as long as you could do that and hold down your lunch, you were happy.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
I think you could get three hours out of it on batteries. That's much less than the Gameboy but better than what came before it, which was basically nothing comparable unless you want to count game and watch games or extremely primitive stuff along the lines of a tiger game.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I guess it depends on your definition of portable. For me, as long as it ran off a car cigarette lighter you could use it on car journeys, and as long as you could do that and hold down your lunch, you were happy.

We got banned from using it with the car lighter because my cousin ended up draining the battery of his parent’s car. I don’t remember if he was playing while they were at a rest stop in the car not running or what have you.

But yeah, we had those batteries and we were gonna play for as long as it would work and fuck my life if my parents were going to buy me a new pack of batteries that quick. The same also apply to the game gear.

The game boy won because the fucker wouldn’t die for a while. RIP portable console wars. No one stood a chance against Nintendo.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I rarely used my Lynx on the road - I typically used my GB for in-car and as soon as we got somewhere I could be close to an outlet it was all Lynx from there on. Good times.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
My little brother who's no longer a gamer bequeathed his Lynx stuff to me (along with his small Jaguar and 3DO collections) when he moved out of our parents' place. I bought Zaku.

View attachment 64556
Guess you stayed in the parents place and gained a level. Goodbye basement, hello sub-basement

• keke
Reactions: wyo

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Atari Lynx is awesome for having great ports of S.T.U.N. Runner and Xybots.
Read an interview with the creator of lynx stun runner. He did a ton of clever stuff. The game really took advantage of the lynx's ability to do sprite scaling. I think the tube sections were formed from the sprites being drawn on one quarter of the screen and then duplicated, mirrored and flipped to form the other quadrants of the screen that make up the tube. The whole game is just a masterclass in building sometime heavily focused on scaling and rotation stuff that a genesis or SNES wouldn't be able to do.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Guess you stayed in the parents place and gained a level. Goodbye basement, hello sub-basement
lol, leveled up! There's a sub basement? What about the water table?

He's a younger brother, so he moved out last. If only I lived in a parent's basement instead of real life. Sounds like heaven compared to having adult responsibilities about now.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
heavy sixer or go home
Lol, I don't think that version has any elite status in the 2600 community.

I did have some other atari systems over the years that I either donated or cashed in on such as a Jaguar, jag CD, 5200, light sixer, lynx 2, and one of the variations of atari 8 bit computers.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I have an almost complete boxed Lynx collection (minus homebrews). I'm only missing one or two boxes that I've been too lazy to pony up for such as Fidelity Chess.