Atari VCS

ConstitutionalCommando

New Challenger
Anyone running an Atari VCS? I'm using the system strictly for retro emulation with Hyperspin in Windows 10. I like the look of the system and it's a great little console machine for dedicated emulation. IMO Atari games suck, so I don't run the Atari OS at all. Curious to see what type of set up anyone is running if they own the system. They were recently selling for $99 at GameStop with both controllers. MSRP is normally $399.

ConstitutionalCommando

New Challenger
Picture for reference:
onyx_thumbnail__97320.1641879973.jpg

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Warlords, NightDriver, Combat…so many good times on 2600.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
See, this is the problem dredging a brand up from the seabed. Nobody knows WTF you're talking about, when you try to hype your new thing with the same name as the old thing.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Atari Vault drops to 4-5 bucks during Steam sales multiple times a year. That's enough for my Atari Nostalgia.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The 2600 sucked. It sucked when it was the only thing I had and it still sucks.

I can see being interested in this particular moronic product though since the price dropped so much…

Warlords, NightDriver, Combat…so many good times on 2600.

Yeah, those are good. When you have to name three more games though you’ll be scraping the barrel pretty hard. To name yet another three games that good is maybe impossible. I don’t think the system really has nine playable games, does it?

Combat
Warlords
Night Driver

Demons to Diamonds
Breakout
River Raid

Megamania
Star Raiders
Pitfall

Hey, that’s nine! For sure 12 would be a stretch though. There are like 500 games for this POS including unplayable bad ports of Donkey Kong, Pac Man, Rampage, Double Dragon…hilarious garbage if you paid $1 for it, tragic if you paid $50.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Not a boomer, so I don't get the appeal of those games. But play whatever you want, I'm not your mom.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
MAZE CRAZE(played this for hours with a friend,so much fun)-BOXING-BASKETBALL-MNETWORK FOOTBALL-MISSLE COMMAND and SPACE INVADERS just because it was the hottest game around in Atari's hey day...
BB

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Anyone running an Atari VCS? I'm using the system strictly for retro emulation with Hyperspin in Windows 10. I like the look of the system and it's a great little console machine for dedicated emulation. IMO Atari games suck, so I don't run the Atari OS at all. Curious to see what type of set up anyone is running if they own the system. They were recently selling for $99 at GameStop with both controllers. MSRP is normally $399.

$99 for the bundle or bare console?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Do you also like the Atari 8-bit computers?
They're nice, specially the 800XL, but I never was a huge fan to be honest, most sprites in games looked quite blocky.

What I like about the 2600 and the older Atari stuff is their rough edge and that distinctive Pokey sound. Many games are very playable but most people let their looks deceive them. Their loss, eh :)

Sure, there's a huge amount of crap in the 2600 library as well.

Oh, and the 2600 homebrew scene is very active, these people have come up with a number of games that nobody thought would be possible on the old woodpecker, like Galagon (check out Atariage for more).

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The 2600 sucked. It sucked when it was the only thing I had and it still sucks.

I can see being interested in this particular moronic product though since the price dropped so much…

Yeah, those are good. When you have to name three more games though you’ll be scraping the barrel pretty hard. To name yet another three games that good is maybe impossible. I don’t think the system really has nine playable games, does it?

Combat
Warlords
Night Driver

Demons to Diamonds
Breakout
River Raid

Megamania
Star Raiders
Pitfall
Yars' Revenge
Jungle Hunt
Haunted House
Circus Atari
Kaboom
Star Raiders

Not that hard.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I picked a couple of these up from people who wanted some of their Kickstarter cash back. I was thinking about setting one up to run Big Box but never got around to messing with it. The classic controller is interesting.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Some of my all-time 2600 favs are Defender, Centipede, Defender II, Keystone Kapers, Pitfall!, Yars' Revenge, MS. Pac-Man, H.E.R.O., Berzerk, Solaris, River Raid, Galagon (new title), Tutankham, the COMBAT cart, Frogger, Demon Attack, Space Invaders, and yes, Donkey Kong. It's incomplete and whatnot but gameplay is right there so f00k it.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I already said Star Raiders!

Kaboom is legit. Massively better than Beat ‘em and Eat ‘em, no matter what people say.
How about Philly Flasher?

Yeah the 2600 has tons of junk and outclassed ports but it has a good amount of good originals too. It's not my cup of tea but it's a bit unfair to say it sucks, as it did stuff hilariously beyond what was originally planned for the system. I think it earned a bit of respect.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Some of my all-time 2600 favs are Defender, Centipede, Defender II, Keystone Kapers, Pitfall!, Yars' Revenge, MS. Pac-Man, H.E.R.O., Berzerk, Solaris, River Raid, Galagon (new title), Tutankham, the COMBAT cart, Frogger, Demon Attack, Spave Invaders, and yes, Donkey Kong. It's incomplete and whatnot but gameplay is right there so f00k it.
You ever play Montezuma’s Revenge? The 2600 version is surprisingly fine.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
You ever play Montezuma’s Revenge? The 2600 version is surprisingly fine.
Yeah, I love the game, mostly played the C64 version, don't have the 2600 cart, it was a US-only release and is hard to come by over here.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Yeah, I love the game, mostly played the C64 version, don't have the 2600 cart, it was a US-only release and is hard to come by over here.
Oh, I didn’t realize Montezuma’s Revenge never had a PAL release, that’s sad. Maybe there’s a PAL patch that could be used on a 2600 Uno cartridge? It’s a great flash cartridge, I highly recommend it.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Oh, I didn’t realize Montezuma’s Revenge never had a PAL release, that’s sad. Maybe there’s a PAL patch that could be used on a 2600 Uno cartridge? It’s a great flash cartridge, I highly recommend it.
I was thinking of buying a Harmony cart from AtariAge, sounds like the real deal. There also is a highscore-saver cart, I'm really intrigued by that one.