Aww, here it goes. Coolio dead at 59.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Never would've expected him to die this soon, nor did I have any idea he was almost 60 already, RIP Coolio. 😢

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Rappers aren't allowed to die old in care homes, it's in the contract.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I’ve seen him live doing a DJ set once. He was at the St Andrews student union promoting a new album in the mid 2000s.

Early on in his set he played Gangsters Paradise, the crowd fucking loved it.

Then he played a new track, and got heckled and boo’ed. He put Gangsters Paradise back on. Everyone cheered, grooved and got wasted.

I think he played Gangsters Paradise back to back maybe 3 more times before taking the mic and saying ‘okay guys but now we’ve got to listen to the new shit’.

And then 80% of the crowd left. Poor Coolio.

RIP homie.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I’ve seen him live doing a DJ set once. He was at the St Andrews student union promoting a new album in the mid 2000s.

Then he played a new track, and got heckled and boo’ed. He put Gangsters Paradise back on. Everyone cheered, grooved and got wasted.

I think he played Gangsters Paradise back to back maybe 3 more times before taking the mic and saying ‘okay guys but now we’ve got to listen to the new shit’.

RIP homie.
mmj this is a really good post, no homo. Thanks for sharing.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Although the real banger on the album is the track Back to the Lab by Prince Paul.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I saw Coolio also a few years before MMJ by coincidence. Sometime between 2002 and 2007 most likely.

He was performing at a Car Audio show in Kansas City on a Sunday. Had we gone the day before we would have seen Vanilla Ice. It was definitely “has been” headliners for each day of the show.

Coolio gets on stage and says “Y’ALL LIKE CARTOONS? Dexters Lab?”

Then he drops his Dexters Lab track. I think he did fantastic voyage too. I dunno. We were there to look at car shit.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I read that he died in a friend's bathroom. Was it a full-on Elvis, or just toilet adjacent?

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year

RIP homie.

LOL that reminds me of the only other time I saw Coolio in the news in the last 20 years. Seems like the English fans were really tough on him, wonder why he moved there in the first place.

Rapper Coolio was injured during a gig in Stoke-on-Trent, England, after a stage dive into the audience went wrong.
The hip-hop star was performing at Staffordshire University's Students' Union on Wednesday (25Feb09) night, when he decided to leap into the crowd.
But the audience parted, sending the star crashing to the floor. The students them reportedly mobbed the rapper, stealing his bandana, jewellery and shoes before the star was rescued by the venue's security team.
Barman James Fielden, who witness the event, says, "(Coolio) nearly flattened one poor girl. Then all the students decided to launch on him. They grabbed whatever they could, including his trainers, watch, chains and glasses. He was pulled back on stage by the bouncers. They got his shoes back for him."

I used to think Gangsta's Paradise was an amazing song, but then I heard the Stevie Wonder song that they interpolated for the beat and I lost a lot of respect/interest in the song. That beat was like nothing I'd ever heard before, but to find out years later that they just replayed the exact same melody from the Stevie Wonder song made it seem much less creative and interesting to me. Don't get me wrong, I know sampling or re-recording pieces of old music is a key part of hiphop, but I appreciate it more if the beatmaker does something interesting with the sample like chop it up and rearrange it to make it sound different, instead of just lifting 10 seconds of music from the 1970s and playing it in a loop for three minutes.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
LOL that reminds me of the only other time I saw Coolio in the news in the last 20 years. Seems like the English fans were really tough on him, wonder why he moved there in the first place.

I used to think Gangsta's Paradise was an amazing song, but then I heard the Stevie Wonder song that they interpolated for the beat and I lost a lot of respect/interest in the song. That beat was like nothing I'd ever heard before, but to find out years later that they just replayed the exact same melody from the Stevie Wonder song made it seem much less creative and interesting to me. Don't get me wrong, I know sampling or re-recording pieces of old music is a key part of hiphop, but I appreciate it more if the beatmaker does something interesting with the sample like chop it up and rearrange it to make it sound different, instead of just lifting 10 seconds of music from the 1970s and playing it in a loop for three minutes.

Kids make loops out of classic hits to rap on top of every day in every city. It’s standard. Coolio was just one of the guys that gets randomly picked out a pool of hundreds of thousand and made world famous overnight by some label.

I’m amazed he made it as long as he did. It killed Mac Miller.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Sad. He has 6 Kids as well.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Because our world is strange and surreal, I found out about his death from Weird Al on Twitter.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
10 kids, 3M net worth.

His contract did him dirty; sold 30M records…if he had Nas’ point structure, album sales alone would have him at 69M.

Went out like John Entwisle from The Who. Cocaine induced heart attack.

His stuff w/ WC and the Madd Circle still slaps. Godspeed you, Artis.