B.B. King dies at age 89

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
CNN said:
Riley B. King, the legendary guitarist known as B.B. King, whose velvety voice and economical, expressive style brought blues from the margins to the mainstream, died Thursday night.

He was 89.

His daughter, Patty King, said he died in Las Vegas, where he announced two weeks ago that he was in home hospice care after suffering from dehydration.

The Mississippi native's reign as "king of the blues" lasted more than six decades and straddled two centuries, influencing a generation of rock and blues musicians, from Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan to Sheryl Crow and John Mayer.

Musicians mourn the loss of B.B. King

His life was the subject of the documentary "B.B. King: The Life of Riley" and the inspiration for the the B.B. King Museum and Delta Interpretive Center, which opened in Mississippi in 2008.

King's enduring legacy came from his refusal to slow down even after cementing his status as an American music icon.

Even with a long list of honors to his name -- a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, a Presidential Medal of Freedom -- he maintained a relentless touring schedule well into his 80s.

Throughout his career, King evolved with the times to incorporate contemporary trends and influences without straying from his Delta blues roots. Whether he was sharing the stage with U2 on "When Loves Comes to Town" -- a scene memorialized in the 1988 concert film "Rattle and Hum" -- or playing in the East Room of the White House with Buddy Guy, Mick Jagger, Jeff Beck and others, King's single-string guitar notes trilled with an unmistakable vibrato from his hollow-bodied Gibson affectionately known as Lucille.

RIP....you will be missed by many.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Oh my goodness, I can't believe he's passed! I listen to Blues FM on Jazz FM 91 every Saturday night, and he's always been a staple. He was one of my inspirations when I picked up the guitar.

B.B, you will be missed.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I first started listening to him on cassette tape when I was a kid. He certainly contributed to my love of the blues.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
B.B was one of my early influences as a guitar player. The man was a genius

RIP

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
BB was my inspiration for guitar. I got the chance to see him live and it was incredible. RIP, the man will be missed dearly.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I know he was old, but it's still surprising, considering how hard he toured even recently.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
I once read a quote from BB King where he stated he made more money off the sample used in Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth than his entire career up to that point.

Dude played for love.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Great guy, great music. 89 is a nice age but it's still sad that he had to go.

B.B.'s version of Ain't Nobody's Business is one of my fave songs... play it loud, folks, and remember him as a great guitarist and performer.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I thought he was dead already - and by that what I mean also is that since I can remember he is a living legend - musicians such as him are practically immortal.
q.d.e.p.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I would like to see how many modern artists will actually look back and apprecithe roads he paved way back when. I know several guitarists are upset that are very blues-centric (john mayer, jonny lang, Eric Clapton, Derek trucks, etc?)