Baseball is back, son.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Maybe Dick Monfort will get hit by a car.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I'm glad it is, if only for our local businesses that profit from the Spring Training season.

It's going to be interesting if the fans will forgive or show their feelings by not attending games when the season begins.

On the plus side, there's no reduced 7 inning games with double headers and they got rid of putting a runner on second base in extra inning games.

National League is now switching to a DH. No more easy outs with a pitcher batting.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I was a Braves fan before Colorado got a pro team, and to this day I prefer them to the shit-tier Rockies. It's hard not to be annoyed at how poorly the Rockies are run when the Avs and Nuggets are model franchises and the Broncos always at least try to win, moreso now that they have a non-retarded GM.

Baseball is and will always be my favorite sport, and I'm glad they're back, but really, Monfort can go fuck himself right along with Nutting and Angelos.

edit: the fact that DM is basically the single most influential owner in labor negotiations says way too much about MLB.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Dammit, now I gotta watch the Rockies again.

As jro said, all the other teams in town are competently run:
Avs - best record in the NHL; won two Stanley Cups
Nuggets - will likely be between the #4 and #6 seed in the west
Broncos - just traded for Russell Wilson; also won a Super Bowl within the last decade
Mammoth - 2nd place in the NLL west; won a title in 2006
Rapids - I heard they had the best regular season record in MLS last year but I don't watch soccer; pretty sure they won a title at some point too

Rockies - no interest in trying to keep players like Arenado, LeMahieu, Story, etc. Just thoroughly depressing.

famicommander

15 Year Member
This guy...
The DH sucks. Removes strategy from late game situations, rewards players that are such fatasses they can't even man first base or a corner outfield spot. Every player who bats should have to field a position and every player who fields a position should have to hit. If you're going to reap the benefits of a bat like David Ortiz you should have to suffer the consequences of his defense.

May as well have a DH for the catcher next. That's the lower average position now that pitchers don't hit.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Let's Go Dodgers!!

They just resigned Kershaw for another year, maybe his last?
Freeman might be next.

Reactions: NGT

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Remember when "Baseball, America's passtime" was more than just an old-timey expression? It is wild that within our lifetimes, baseball has deteriorated from legitimately being America's favorite sport to now being a distant, distant third and just barely fending off hockey in fourth place.

Thinking of baseball being America's favorite sport feels like hearing that musicals with Fred Astaire and whoever used to be America's favorite movies. It doesn't even sound plausible, tastes have changed so much.

What do you think was the final nail in the coffin? The point where they gave up any hope at ever returning to the top spot in American sports? I've always thought it was the '94 strike.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Remember when "Baseball, America's passtime" was more than just an old-timey expression? It is wild that within our lifetimes, baseball has deteriorated from legitimately being America's favorite sport to now being a distant, distant third and just barely fending off hockey in fourth place.

Thinking of baseball being America's favorite sport feels like hearing that musicals with Fred Astaire and whoever used to be America's favorite movies. It doesn't even sound plausible, tastes have changed so much.

What do you think was the final nail in the coffin? The point where they gave up any hope at ever returning to the top spot in American sports? I've always thought it was the '94 strike.
It was definitely the '94 strike, I still know a handful of people that refuse to ever watch again because of that

famicommander

15 Year Member

Steroid fallout was pretty bad. MLB pretending everybody didn't know the whole ass time. Watching legendary guys like Sosa, Clemens, Palmeiro, Bonds, McGwire go down in flames.

Games getting longer and more boring while resisting technological improvements or rule changes that could make the games go faster and better. Expanded video replay (but automatic and fast like hockey, not excruciatingly slow like what we have in MLB and NFL), using an automated strike zone, putting a pitch clock on all these slow ass pitchers, limiting these batters that have to step out of the box and readjust their batting gloves after every god damn pitch,

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
games getting longer and more boring while resisting technological improvements
Speaking of technology, kids that would have played baseball 50 years ago would rather play video games today. That's a big reason for a decline. More distractions today.

Shit, that's why I never played past YMCA soccer in the 90s. Video games were my life back then. And they are way, way more socially dominant nowadays.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Yet to be seen if baseball is back in Pittsburgh.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Speaking of technology, kids that would have played baseball 50 years ago would rather play video games today. That's a big reason for a decline.
Didn't hurt basketball or football any. They've gotten bigger. Only baseball has declined.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
baseball has too many retarded "unwritten rules", cheat but don't cheat bullshit, and the worst refereeing out of all the major sports (i might just be over influenced by angel hernandez).

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Can I also add the dissolution of non-Asian and Hispanic minorities? A bat, glove and ball sound cheap, but club sports is a racket.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
is baseball the worst major league sport? Yes.

What's the point of the world series if you dont get to watch American league pitchers try to bat?
Designated steroid batters all around now.
Might as well have 3 teams. One for fielding, one for running, and one for batting....

famicommander

15 Year Member
Participation in baseball is actually growing at the youth level, they're just not converting those kids into fans:
2020+State+of+Play+Tables+%28bg%29+1.62.png

Baseball isn't part of the culture anymore for these kids. It's just something their mom drives them to 3 days a week after school.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Works for football.
Too many injuries in football for everyone to play iron man. That isn't the case for sports like baseball or basketball.

What makes baseball special is watching guys who are great at everything.

Some day we'll have dedicated hitters, fielders, pitchers, and baserunners and then guys like Willy Mays, Shohei Ohtani, Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Jr, Alex Rodriguez, Hank Aaron, Ichiro, Mike Trout and Babe Ruth (remember, he started out as a pitcher) would just be reduced to specializing in whatever one skill they were best at.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
So basically, basball isn't coming back. Maybe not ever.
According to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, the final World Series was played in the late 21st Century, won by the London Kings in front of a crowd of 500.