Ben Daglish has died

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
C64 music legend Ben Daglish died of cancer on October 1st. He was 52.

I always was a huge fan of his C64 works, his magical music was part of my soundtrack of the 80s and a great inspiration for me.

Complete list of his C64 works: http://www.ben-daglish.net/c64.shtml

Auf Wiedersehen, Ben.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
good tunes

didn't know him before this thread.

RIP

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
His music for the first The Last Ninja game probably was his masterpiece. It's not just a collection of tunes for loading, titles and the levels but a coherent soundtrack which was quite uncommon in these days. Together with Rob Hubbard and Martin Galway, he was part of the Big Three of C64 music giants and worked for more than 100 games projects.

Here's a short bio blurb from his website:

Ben Daglish was born in 1966 in London. He moved to Sheffield as a small child, and grew up benefiting from both its peripatetic instrumental service and its cheap bus fares. He was the principal percussionist for the City Of Sheffield Youth Orchestra, and performed extensively as both percussionist and conductor before starting to compose music for computer games in the early 1980's. He moved on to compose and perform for a number of theatre companies as MD/actor/musician in places as diverse as Belfast, Tuscany and Jerusalem. Ben currently plays various instruments with a number of different ensembles (most notably Loscoe State Opera), and lives with his partner and three children in the Peak District. When he's not playing music, he works as a programmer, writing network device backup software for Restorepoint.

Here are some more of his game tunes:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Huge bummer. There is not a lot of of chip tune guys left.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The SID will outlive us all.
I didn't know this guy by name, but I definitely knew some of those tracks.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Wow, dude was only 20-ish when he did The Last Ninja. Insanely talented.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Fucking cancer. Gets everyone. Mother in laws memorial this Sunday...colon cancer got her Sept 11th

Gog

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Absolute legend, and my favourite C64 composer along with Rob Hubbard. Probably why Auf Wiedersehen Monty is my favourite piece. Two titans of SID working together.

RIP Ben, you will be missed.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Most i recognize is his work for the last ninja.Still RIP Ben Daglish,damn passing away at the age of 52 no less :(