Best fighting game console port.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
OK here we go to me it has to be a struggle between Dreamatch '99, which was '98 for the DC, and 3rd Strike for the DC. Honorary note for Vampire Saviour and the Capcom Vs. Series.

Oh! KOF XI was really good too, but the crown goes to Real Bout Fatal Fury Special for Saturn because it has Geese.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
SFIII:TS port for DC is actually inferior to SFAC on PS2. Unfortunately DC ports were not always the best ones available, most of the time, but not always.

As far as best console ports go...Im'a hafta go wit CvS2 on the DC. I'm sure there are lots of decent ports, but CvS2 on DC is one I always use to get ready for tourneys, so it stands out to me :cool:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
qube said:
SFIII:TS port for DC is actually inferior to SFAC on PS2. Unfortunately DC ports were not always the best ones available, most of the time, but not always.

As far as best console ports go...Im'a hafta go wit CvS2 on the DC. I'm sure there are lots of decent ports, but CvS2 on DC is one I always use to get ready for tourneys, so it stands out to me :cool:
OK how's that? the PS2 version is cropped, you can clearly see it like a exacto knife went every 2 pixels and cut them out. The DC doesn't have that problem, and it has a better res code that makes worlds of difference. I mean really how so, because I'm curious as hell.

Seriously MVC2 is dead on, MVC one was great, Last Blade was good too, please come up with some valid reasons, because in my opinion your way off on the comment "inferior ports".

Last edited:

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
I'd say XI is the best home console port in recent memory. I mean it has extra characters, an extra Arrange mode, that silly Challenge mode, but the most important thing is that it has MUCH SHORTER LOADING TIMES than the arcade version. Seriously, I play the arcade version like every weekend and the load times are obnoxious.

and yeah, what qube said about 3rd Strike, the Dreamcast version shouldn't ever be considered the best. There is a small amount of input lag which makes a lot of combos much harder than they are on the arcade or PS2, it even feels way more difficult to do parries on the DC. Plus the DC version is based on the "new type" board which removes Urien's unblockable setups, and pretty much everyone prefers the old version where he's got the unblockables.

Dreamcast versions of MvC2 and CvS2 are good though, yes.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
DC KoF 99 DM and Evo best ports?? They're not even proper ports to begin with. Evo was kinda okay in terms of gameplay accuracy but not DM with its horrible lags.

Ah well, my picks:

KoF2k1 DC
3s PS2
KoF XI

3s DC may look better than PS2 but it has issues with input lags, sound and most importantly suck-y parry timing.

Devil_Gans

Bu, ,
Even the DC version of SF 3 TS is worse than the newer arcade revision. The newer arcade version has the already mentioned changes in the gameplay that wasn't too popular with the fans, but the most important thing is that the newer arcade version does not have any input lags or messed up parry timings like the DC version has. So, the DC version is the worst version of TS ever, gameplaywise.

As for the graphics, the DC version has slightly thinner and smaller sprites than the arcade version, despite having a better resolution option than the PS2 and XBOX versions. The PS2 and XBOX versions did not have the graphic enhancement options that the DC version has during start-up.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Marvel vs Capcom 2 DC
Capcom vs SNK 1 and 2 DC
Xmen vs Street Fighter Saturn
Marvel vs Street Fighter Saturn
Soul Calibur DC
Third Strike PS2

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
electricgrave said:
OK how's that? the PS2 version is cropped, you can clearly see it like a exacto knife went every 2 pixels and cut them out. The DC doesn't have that problem, and it has a better res code that makes worlds of difference. I mean really how so, because I'm curious as hell.

Seriously MVC2 is dead on, MVC one was great, Last Blade was good too, please come up with some valid reasons, because in my opinion your way off on the comment "inferior ports".

Fucking owned loser.

Graphics don't make the game dipshit. Maybe if you played your games instead of drooling over pixels you would know what the fuck you're talking about. Don't spout your retarded shit at me when it's YOU who doesn't know what the fuck their talking about.

SFIII:TS on DC is NOT THE BEST CONSOLE PORT. Just because it's on the DC doesn't automatically make it better. How are those for valid reasons jackass?

Thanks for smacking this fool down while I was asleep fellas ;)

Last edited:
H

hermegildo

qube said:
Fucking owned loser.

Graphics don't make the game dipshit. Maybe if you played your games instead of drooling over pixels you would know what the fuck you're talking about. Don't spout your retarded shit at me when it's YOU who doesn't know what the fuck their talking about.

SFIII:TS on DC is NOT THE BEST CONSOLE PORT. Just because it's on the DC doesn't automatically make it better. How are those for valid reasons jackass?

Thanks for smacking this fool down while I was asleep fellas ;)
Holy fuck!

Simmer down, sweetie.

Martinov

Geese's Thug
PS2 3rd Strike isn't perfect either (runs fractionally faster than the coin op, supposedly), but it is superior to the laggy DC version.

KOF 98 on DC also suffers from skinny sprite problems and people also claim that there are differences in feel between this version and the coin op. I'm not so experienced with 98, so i have to admit I can't tell any significant difference.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
KOF XI has to be the best port in a while, actually even better than the original arcade for me. In general all the Atomiswave ports are really good, much better than the Neo Geo ones.

I also prefer Third Strike on PS2. KOF 98 on DC didn't feel right.

And about Geese in RBS, I think the arcade version had it too as an extra boss if you beat the game uder certain conditions...

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Martinov said:
PS2 3rd Strike isn't perfect either (runs fractionally faster than the coin op, supposedly), but it is superior to the laggy DC version.

the only thing I've ever seen anyone prove is "faster" about the PS2 version is that there's no slowdown when Yang connects the EX Rekkas.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
hermegildo said:
Holy fuck!

Simmer down, sweetie.

Haha, yeah, 2 hours of sleep will do that to you.

Seriously though. When you play TS every-single day competitively in the arcade, you find that even Training Mode on the DC is worthless at home.

I sold my DC copy of TS b/c I never played it since it wasn't any good to me. Now I wish I had kept it just for completion purposes though :(

Seriously electricgrave, come up with some better reasons why the DC port isn't "inferior", seriously. Please, because I think you're way off, and I'd like to know how it's better than the PS2 version besides the 2 whole pixels that the characters are off, which affects gameplay ssoooooo much. Seriously, please, seriously...

roffle :lolz:

EDIT: Oh, btw, Soul Calibur on the DC is better than the arcade version, so I guess that qualifies it as a "best fighting game console port".

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i think the problems with the dc version arise from it being one of the online titles.

or something.

either way id much rather play the xbox version over the ps2 one.

every ps2 port just doesnt run in the right resolution.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
For port, it's MvC2

But for extras, no game will ever be made that has more extras that are WORTH something, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure IMPORT for the PSX.

Seriously, it has a shooter mini game in there that blows away any Shooter ever made before.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
DARK ANDY said:
For port, it's MvC2

But for extras, no game will ever be made that has more extras that are WORTH something, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure IMPORT for the PSX.

Seriously, it has a shooter mini game in there that blows away any Shooter ever made before.

MvsC2 is not exact, but very very close. The timing is a hair off. Combos, IMO, are easier to do on DC. But that's splitting hairs, as it's an amzing port.

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
People are so quick to forget Fatal Fury Special on the Turbo CD. Unheard of accuracy for its time PLUS Geese Howard!

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
KOF 95 on the Saturn always get my vote because of the extra rom cartridge that made loading super fast, and looks so close to the NG original. Just a lovely game. Then, you have Capcom's 4meg conversion of MvS, etc.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I never honestly gave for these "exact ports" if they were close enough I was fine. Hell I played KOF 99 for the PSX a hell of a lot, before i had 98 for the DC.

As for ports hmmm I'd have to go with KOF XI for PS2, or maybe Project Justice for the DC...but that's because I LOOOOVE PJ for the DC

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
In an extreme technical sense, Capcom Fighting Jam is the best fighting game port ever.

Because it's not much of a port. The game ran nearly PS2 spec hardware. But it was a port!

Seriously though...

KOFXI is close, with the extra characters.

SFAC's third strike...
(Definitally not SFAC's Hyper SF2! That thing is buggy. :angry: )

Although my vote will always be with the NES port of Mortal Kombat 3(Special 56 Pepoles.)

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
Speaking of which, how are the ports on the Street Fighter Alpha Anthology?

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Neo Rasa said:
Speaking of which, how are the ports on the Street Fighter Alpha Anthology?
baddduderasa.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
qube said:
Haha, yeah, 2 hours of sleep will do that to you.

Seriously though. When you play TS every-single day competitively in the arcade, you find that even Training Mode on the DC is worthless at home.

I sold my DC copy of TS b/c I never played it since it wasn't any good to me. Now I wish I had kept it just for completion purposes though :(

Seriously electricgrave, come up with some better reasons why the DC port isn't "inferior", seriously. Please, because I think you're way off, and I'd like to know how it's better than the PS2 version besides the 2 whole pixels that the characters are off, which affects gameplay ssoooooo much. Seriously, please, seriously...

roffle :lolz:

EDIT: Oh, btw, Soul Calibur on the DC is better than the arcade version, so I guess that qualifies it as a "best fighting game console port".

Ok now that your are civil, I have to be honest, I'm not a great 3rd strike player, I mean I won a local tournament on the PS2 version, but I'm not good enough to notice lag issues on the dreamcast, my gameplay remains intact, also I play with Hugo, so my combo pletora is very scarce.

I never thought of Soulcalibur, but you're right, that's a hell of a port, to this day it stands as a great game. You just sounded like a complete snoob diminishing the DC, and I just wanted validation that's all.

In no way I'm a guru, nor do I claim to be, thus the thread, you can learn a lot from other's opinion.

I must add that I'm self procalimed artist, and perhaps that could be the reason why I pay so much attention to the sprites, is not a crime, is just a prefference like everything else in life.

Last edited: