Best Neo Geo motherboard

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Which is the best Neo Geo motherboard? Which has the most features and the best video output? It doesn't matter if it is modded as soon as it has the most features and the better components!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
RGB is the same across all of the MVS boards, as far as I know. I'd look at it more like which one will suit your needs. For stereo/mono switch, controller ports, headphone output I'd take the MV-1F or 1FS. The 2 slot is a very good board, comes with a mem card reader!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
A lot of people say the 2-slot for its card reader and ease of consolizing, though it's one of the more expensive boards available.

If you really don't need any fancy features, an MV-1FZ, MV-1A or MV-1B will suit you just fine. The MV-1F is good for having controller ports and a somewhat small size, at least compared to the MV-1. Don't buy a MV-1C, they're in demand from CMVS makers and the other boards are a better value. If you're a MVS big tymer, get a 4 or 6 slot board.

If talking about AES, it seems most say the 3-6 is the best revision, only needing a slight fix for the RGB. The other revisions have different issues but all play games the same.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
If you want an MVS board, then a 2 Slot, with a built in memory card reader, will get you the most bang for your buck.

But, if you want a Jamma board, then a MV-1 will get you the most bang for your buck.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
For stereo/mono switch [...] MV-1F or 1FS.
I have a MV-1FT and a MV-1FS, with both the stereo channels aren't completely separated, there's always some audio from the left on the right channel and vice versa (which seems to be a somewhat common problem that I haven't found a solution to yet). If you want real good stereo, I'd go with a multislot and renew it's cabs - my 2slot fucking rocks.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
The MV2 is the king.

Easy to work on, front controller ports, Stereo Headphone jacks, socket BIOS and stuff.

Any 1-Slot'er will do your job fine, but not all will suit your need the same way.
I tend to think the MV-1B is the most reliable of all ( battery leaks are less bound to happen on these little boards )
from my personal experience. Most of the boards I came across were alwlays running with less general issues than others
( Z80 error, Backup ram error, etc ).
However, it's not as simply to put a UNIBIOS on it, and you have to build a little circuit to make it sing in Stereo.

Any 1A, 1AX, 1FZ, 1FZS will do just fine.

4 Slot'ers are bitchy when it come to power. You really need a decent PSU to make them work flawlessly.
6 slots are to be avoided.

Last edited:

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
Don't forget to take a look at Hard MVS.com and other sites.
I always encourage people to do their own research instead of blindingly take what ever advice from intent web forums.
Although I agree with most of the good info above.

MV-2 the two-sloter has the most in board features including a built in card reader.
I think the MV-1 is a great 1 slot board if native stereo is important. Also the MV-1 is the only 1 slot with support for the MV-IC memory board.
MV-1B & MV-1FZ PCB are good for DIY consolization mods.

MV-1C is too valued by the Consolized MVS market, Analogue and Omega driven the market prices on these boards.

4 Slots have strict power requirements
Unless you are a serious collector I avoid the 6 slot.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Don't want to buy one, just discussing for knowledle. There is not knowlwedge that is not power... "Mortal Kombat"

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
Don't want to buy one, just discussing for knowledle. There is not knowlwedge that is not power... "Mortal Kombat"

Still, you ask for knowledge, and there nothing wrong with having some smart consumer advice.

Also you spelled Knowledge wrong, and with two different spellings.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Still, you ask for knowledge, and there nothing wrong with having some smart consumer advice.

Right now, he has knowledle and knowlwedge. With our help, one day he will achieve knowledge.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
... the other half is violence.(?)

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Knowing when to use violence is the answer...I'm sure I read that on a public toilet wall...

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
You are right! Typing from a Vita. Shitty keyboard.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I use a MV-1B. I love it, mine is still mono but it rocks good, one day I would like to mod it for stereo. I use it in my cab though so it's not really something I think about as far as looks are concerned.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For MVS boards I'd stay away from MV1C, MV1FZ/S, MV1A, MV1, MV1F, MV1FS, MV1T. The MV1B is a good choice. Most other boards mentioned suffer from corrosion issues from leaking batteries or are just failure prone, especially the FZ and 1A.

As for AES, I'd go with a 3-5. It already has the proper cap/resistor combo so RGB is nice and bright and won't suffer from insufficient ac coupling like any revision prior and only issue known for a 3-5 is a checkerboard pattern but is rarely ever seen. The best out of the box choice.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
For MVS boards I'd stay away from MV1C, MV1FZ/S, MV1A, MV1, MV1F, MV1FS, MV1T. The MV1B is a good choice. Most other boards mentioned suffer from corrosion issues from leaking batteries or are just failure prone, especially the FZ and 1A.

As for AES, I'd go with a 3-5. It already has the proper cap/resistor combo so RGB is nice and bright and won't suffer from insufficient ac coupling like any revision prior and only issue known for a 3-5 is a checkerboard pattern but is rarely ever seen. The best out of the box choice.
Why would you say stay away from ALL of those boards?

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
He probably goes through a lot of MVS board repairs and the ones he mentioned most likely appear broken the most often.

Grendell

Morden's Lackey
hm so if we discuss how bad or good each board is could someone also say something about the prices , i want to buy one for a future arcade bartop project and i need some infos on prices ;D

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
hm so if we discuss how bad or good each board is could someone also say something about the prices , i want to buy one for a future arcade bartop project and i need some infos on prices ;D
Avoid the MV1-C as they are desired by consolizers and the market priced has gone up.
Your best bet is the MV-1B as Xian Xi stated.

He probably goes through a lot of MVS board repairs and the ones he mentioned most likely appear broken the most often.
I figured as much, Xian Xi does more mods and repairs in 3 months than I have done in 3 years.

I do find the best learning should be interactive, and I want to learn as much as I can on the Neo Geo. I really like to know that the major flaws are on each board.

Grendell

Morden's Lackey
what would be a good price for a MV-B1 , swapping the bios shouldnt be a problem i guess , i can go with a unibios and solder it on the board is this correct ?

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I figured as much, Xian Xi does more mods and repairs in 3 months than I have done in 3 years.

I do find the best learning should be interactive, and I want to learn as much as I can on the Neo Geo. I really like to know that the major flaws are on each board.

Well, as he said before, the common flaw on the MV-1 (and MV-1F/1T) is the large battery present, that thing always leaks and eats parts of the board. I don't know what dies the most on MV-1A/FZ boards.

what would be a good price for a MV-B1 , swapping the bios shouldnt be a problem i guess , i can go with a unibios and solder it on the board is this correct ?

$80 - $100 seems to be fair for a MV-1B. Just get a NeoBiosMasta and plug it onto the 68k.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For the MV1, MV1F, MV1FS, MV1T; if you find them clean with no battery leakage then go for it. Snip that battery and replace with either a coincell or a new rechargeable. They are good boards since they have controller ports on them, personally I'd go for the ones with the newer chipsets (All except MV1 (Large)).

MV1C, it's a great board but lately I've been seeing ones on ebay are corroded or heavily rusted. Keep in mind that this mobo 3 custom chips that take the place of 5+ custom chips on other MVS boards so if ANY of them have rusted legs then the only fix is a chip swap and that is assuming the pads aren't rusted, too.

The FZ, FZS and 1A. Stay away from them if you plan to consolize them unless you fully test the board with a Diagnostic Bios. 8/10 of them will have Z80 errors and if it isn't a Z80 error then it's a palette RAM error, BRAM error, sometimes all three. The solder mask on them is also pretty thin so any slight corrosion is enough to cause problems.

Grendell

Morden's Lackey
Thanks for the nfo , a few seconds a go i placed a order for the neobiosmaster , so if someone can tell me where to get a
Mv-1b in Germany or europe at a fair price that would make me happy