Best Nintendo Console

Best Nintendo Console

• Total voters

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Wonderswan had an awful D-pad, awful but at least there's 5 games I enjoyed. Tekken Card Challenge was excellent, prolly played that the most.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Um no, Gunpei Yokoi left after the Virtual Boy, which was launched in 1995. Nintendo didn't outright fire him, they just took away any power he had in developing new products. Gunpei Yokoi left to start his own company, which would go on to partner with Bandai with the WonderSwan. Gunpei Yokoi died in a car accident (hit & run I think) in 1997.

Did you know Nintendo marketed the Wii without the Nintendo branding? It was the first time Nintendo had ever done that with a game console. Even the Virtual Boy had full Nintendo branding all over it.

He resigned in August 1996 according to everything Ive ever read. The n64 launched in June 96 in Japan. I remember reading in a magazine shortly after his death that he and Sakamoto were both against the design of the n64 controller. Him being "forced out" because of the VB was a greatly blwon out of proportion. He also worked on the Gameboy pocket right before he left to form that company and then died shortly there after.

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
To address the topic at hand:

The Super NES. Console had an amazing library of games, my favourite being Ninja Warriors Again/New Generation. It's not a stand out title as there is plenty of goodness on the SNES.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
So you're saying OoT is better then LttP?

Yes.
And yes, I am aware that OoT borrowed many themes from LttP.
But OoT is the more ambitious of the two titles and succeeded in doing almost everything it set out to do.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
All this GC talk has me wanting to pick one up... before they become even more expansive. Anything I should look out for?
Anyone want to school me or point me in a good direction where to read up on it?

On topic: Back when the SNES was released I always wanted to have one, but my parents were against it... they said the 486 PC we had was enough. Same with the N64 - I saved up for a PSX and bought it myslef, didn't regret the decision. I much later found a NES in the rain when I was in high school (electronic trash is still picked up in front of the houses here) - cleaned it up and enjoyed it imensely. Still have that system, bought a SNES a few years back and got a beat up N64 from a friend... I'm really into the SNES, the N64 is OK, not that great but not horrible at all.
I did get a Game Boy for Christmas when I was in elementary, loved the hell out of it, but wasn'T allowed to bring it to school like so many others were. And after I went to bed my Dad used to borrow it to play Tetris ^^

The [N64] controller might look like an abortion but it does perform very well.
Until the damn stick is worn out that is. Major flaw. Luckily there are now good ways to replace it.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
All this GC talk has me wanting to pick one up... before they become even more expansive. Anything I should look out for?
Anyone want to school me or point me in a good direction where to read up on it?

On topic: Back when the SNES was released I always wanted to have one, but my parents were against it... they said the 486 PC we had was enough. Same with the N64 - I saved up for a PSX and bought it myslef, didn't regret the decision. I much later found a NES in the rain when I was in high school (electronic trash is still picked up in front of the houses here) - cleaned it up and enjoyed it imensely. Still have that system, bought a SNES a few years back and got a beat up N64 from a friend... I'm really into the SNES, the N64 is OK, not that great but not horrible at all.
I did get a Game Boy for Christmas when I was in elementary, loved the hell out of it, but wasn'T allowed to bring it to school like so many others were. And after I went to bed my Dad used to borrow it to play Tetris ^^

Until the damn stick is worn out that is. Major flaw. Luckily there are now good ways to replace it.

I never had problems with my sticks and we played a bunch of mario party :D

As far as GC games to look out for here are a few; Metroid Prime 1/2, Time Splitters 2/3, Medal of Honor Frontline, Resident Evil 0/1/4, Eternal Darkness, Mario Sunshine, F-Zero GX, Super Monkey Ball, Metal Gear Solid, Star Wars: Rouge Squadron 2/3, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Soul Caliber 2, and any of the party games like mario party or kart.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

It's strange that people, who will likely convince you to go the MVS path in regard to the Neo-Geo world of marvels & prices, neglect the fact that in regard to the GC universe choosing the Wii route is an equally wise decision. Alone the fact of getting a dirt cheap original YPbPr cable is worth it. Moreover it's lag-free, has no slowdowns & repairs the glitches found in certain GC games played on "original" hardware. I used those quotes deliberately, since you'll find the original GC hardware inside the Wii, only that now it includes a better lens.

In fine: 480p rules, baby... and then some ;).

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I never had problems with my sticks and we played a bunch of mario party :D

As far as GC games to look out for here are a few; Metroid Prime 1/2, Time Splitters 2/3, Medal of Honor Frontline, Resident Evil 0/1/4, Eternal Darkness, Mario Sunshine, F-Zero GX, Super Monkey Ball, Metal Gear Solid, Star Wars: Rouge Squadron 2/3, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Soul Caliber 2, and any of the party games like mario party or kart.

Don't miss the amazing first party sports titles like tennis, golf, and of course Mario Strikers.

It's strange that people, who will likely convince you to go the MVS path in regard to the Neo-Geo world of marvels & prices, neglect the fact that in regard to the GC universe choosing the Wii route is an equally wise decision. Alone the fact of getting a dirt cheap original YPbPr cable is worth it. Moreover it's lag-free, has no slowdowns & repairs the glitches found in certain GC games played on "original" hardware. I used those quotes deliberately, since you'll find the original GC hardware inside the Wii, only that now it includes a better lens.

In fine: 480p rules, baby... and then some ;).

See here's the deal. Someone did a test showing that the GameCube component output is slightly better, but to the naked eye is almost indistinguishable. So yes, you're totally right about going Wii over cube. The only disadvantage is that you lose out on the Gameboy player. There are also several FPGA add ons out now that add component, HDMI, or 240p output to a GameCube (both models) without the need for the crazy priced cable. In conjunction with a GC media launcher it makes for an amazing GBA experience.

Last edited:

sparksterz

Camel Slug
See here's the deal. Someone did a test showing that the GameCube component output is slightly better, but to the naked eye is almost indistinguishable. So yes, you're totally right about going Wii over cube. The only disadvantage is that you lose out on the Gameboy player. There are also several FPGA add ons out now that add component, HDMI, or 240p output to a GameCube (both models) without the need for the crazy priced cable. In conjunction with a GC media launcher it makes for an amazing GBA experience.

Yeah, the only reason to have the component cables on the GC is for the Gameboy Player. Otherwise, Wii all day!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
thanks guys - wii it is. Any advice on models/peripherals/... is welcome of course!

[guess I can also hack a wii? Sounds way better than having to get a new case so burned CD-Rs would fit into a GC :keke:]

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
But even then the GC Gameboy player runs on 480i which is kinda sad but there's this disc out there to make it run on 240p.

Wii is the best though. Homebrew Channel FTW, all the GBA you want, all the NES, SNES, GEN, PCE, etc. On component running 240p, classic controller, you're all set, you're welcome.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
But even then the GC Gameboy player runs on 480i which is kinda sad but there's this disc out there to make it run on 240p.

Wii is the best though. Homebrew Channel FTW, all the GBA you want, all the NES, SNES, GEN, PCE, etc. On component running 240p, classic controller, you're all set, you're welcome.

You need a media launcher and Swiss and it will force it into other resolutions including 240p.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I implore everyone to not vote. Discussion, fine, but if you vote you are enabling this sick behavior.

This dude is weirder than Makismo and Dollfucker put together.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm lucky to have climbed on the GC wagon when the gettin' was good (I think I picked it up summer of 2003). It was a black/black combo that came out of the box with the GBA player. I picked up the component cable as well as a Wavebird.

I love that little thing...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Badass. I have a couple of cubes and a GC Player, but I was dumb and sold my component cables.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
There are also several FPGA add ons out now that add component, HDMI, or 240p output to a GameCube (both models) without the need for the crazy priced cable.

Please elaborate, I'd love some Component and/or HDMI action on that little guy. GC and Wii U are the main party machines at my house.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Please elaborate, I'd love some Component and/or HDMI action on that little guy. GC and Wii U are the main party machines at my house.

Sub boards that are soldered on to the GameCube mobo. Depending on who makes them they either remove the digital out port or some add an HDMI port over it. They are coming out from so many makers it's hard to keep up. I know one allows for VGA output as well. That's the one that can connect to a bnc breakout cable and force 240p using the fpga.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Badass. I have a couple of cubes and a GC Player, but I was dumb and sold my component cables.

I'm a Nintendo fanboy at heart...I'll admit it. I think I look at the GC like Sega fanboies do the Dreamcast. Both were overall failures, but each were really unique and had a ton of unrealized potential.