Best Nintendo Console

Best Nintendo Console

• Total voters

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm a Nintendo fanboy at heart...I'll admit it. I think I look at the GC like Sega fanboies do the Dreamcast. Both were overall failures, but each were really unique and had a ton of unrealized potential.

I think the DC accomplished its full potential in all terms technical. Commercially speaking, yes I agree with your statement.

If you have a set of component cables or a FPGA modded cube then yeah, it's simple.

I got component cables, I wanna du it!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
New Flash, all systems have at least a good 75% of bullshit titles.

NES has the best games ever made in many a genre.

SMB is still the best Mario ever!
Ninja Gaiden Series is still the best Ninja Game Series ever!
Batman Sunsoft City is still the greatest Batman game ever!
River City Ramsom is still the best RC game there is!
MT's Punch-Out!!! is timeless, yesterday, today, tomorrow and forever!
Megaman 2...I don't really need to say much more.
Castlevania is still the best Castlevania and Konami platformer ever!
Should I keep going?!

Think of it this way, for every N64 game that is good, there's at least 10 NES games that are fantastic.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Most people who love the NES only love it for nostalgic purposes. A lot of the games are total shit. Yeah, there are some good ones, but most are horrible messes.

I hear this one a lot. Most people say this when the "classics" don't do anything for them anymore while having minimal experience outside of what they've always known despite having played the NES for 493049094 million years.

I won't get into why the N64 sucks.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
SMB is still the best Mario ever!
SMB == Mario 64. Neither is better than the other.
Ninja Gaiden Series is still the best Ninja Game Series ever!
And the Lynx also had 2 great Ninja Gaiden games. NES isn't alone in that department.
Batman Sunsoft City is still the greatest Batman game ever!
River City Ramsom is still the best RC game there is!
MT's Punch-Out!!! is timeless, yesterday, today, tomorrow and forever!
Megaman 2...I don't really need to say much more.
I haven't played many other Batman games, so I don't know there. River City Ransom, Punch Out and MM2 are great games, no arguments there.
Castlevania is still the best Castlevania and Konami platformer ever!
Castlevania Dracula X on the Duo.

N64's 1080 vs NES Slalom. No contest.
Mario Kart 64 vs any NES driving game, not even close.
Mario Tennis vs Tennis, Mario Golf vs Golf.
Wave Race 64.
Perfect Dark and Goldeneye.
Blast Corps.
Should I keep going?!

In five years or so the N64 prices will be through the roof, even crazier than NES prices today.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I voted 3DS. SNES and NES are obviously great, but most of the great games from those consoles are available on the 3DS as a remake, or in the eshop. Also, the 3DS plays original DS games, which had a very strong library of dragon quest, and final fantasy games. Not to mention the definitive version of chrono trigger, and many, many, other great games.

People praise the SNES so much, and with good reason, but I really think a big part of that is because of SquareSoft. I wonder without all those awesome square titles if people would still consider the system as "the greatest"? I honestly don't know the answer, because it's hard to beat super metroid, and super castlevania IV. Really though, the square games, and the ones mentioned are the SNES to me.

I would think being an 80's kid I would go NES, but the DS line of handhelds has somehow beat nostalgic ties for me. It's just an amazing console.

Wave Race 64.
Blast Corps.
Should I keep going?!

In five years or so the N64 prices will be through the roof, even crazier than NES prices today.

I honestly can not decide if I like Duo Dracula X more, or Castlevania IV. Castlevania IV is just amazing.

Wave Race and Mario Golf 64 are amazing games.

Here are some more.

Mystical Ninja starring Goemon (up there with the zelda games in my opinion)
Fighters Destiny (with friends, it's an excellent game)
WCW NWO Revenge (again with friends)
Ogre Battle 64
Space Station Silicon Valley

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
N64 prices are already horrible. How much worse can it get?

Give em a few more years. I doubt they will hit nes and snes prices, but they're bound to get worse. As much as I would love to hate on the N64, it's kind of hard too. I also agree the library is pretty weak, but there are really solid non-nintendo developed titles that people are going to pay for no matter how common. A lot of people owned a N64, they were incredibly popular among college housing for the great 4 player titles, and with little kids for the nintendo developed games. So with that comes people who are getting older, and are going to want to replay those games.

Some games I think are bound to keep rising...

Mario 64
Mario Golf
Wave Race
Paper Mario
Perfect Dark
Space Station Silicon Valley
Mystical Ninja (both games)
Ogre Battle 64
Jet Force Gemini
Kirby 64
Zelda (both games)
No Mercy
Conker
Mario Kart

Those are mostly commons, but we have seen even the most common nes and snes games continue to go up, like contra, punch out, and square titles. Like I said up above. I never see NES and SNES prices, BUT those common games will always have demand, and cost more than they need to. My reasoning is that pretty much all collectibles like comics, magic cards, baseball cards etc.. always have the most expensive pieces in the beginning of the era. I think video games will be the same, with a few exceptions. Premium edition games, protos, genuine low print run games, etc..

I personally think all retro game prices will continue to rise the older the console gets, as people try to obtain those games from their childhood.

I would also add I think games will eventually become more collectible than some things like baseball cards, that is if they continue to be operational. The thing games have going for them is that they can be used an unlimited number of times and enjoyed if they are good and hold up over the years. You can only look at a baseball card, or read a comic only so many times. It's the same experience every time. But games have that replayability. And it's been proven, even in times of recession one thing thatpeople continue to spend money on is games, because if chosen correctly it's a big bang for the buck. You could spend $15.00 at the movies for 2.5 hours, or drop $20.00 on used game and get hundreds of hours of enjoyment. Seems like the logical financial decision when times are rough.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
SMB == Mario 64. Neither is better than the other.

And the Lynx also had 2 great Ninja Gaiden games. NES isn't alone in that department.

I haven't played many other Batman games, so I don't know there. River City Ransom, Punch Out and MM2 are great games, no arguments there.

Wave Race 64.
Blast Corps.
Should I keep going?!

Make the math, I know you're not dumb, 10 great NES games per 1 great N64 game.

Rondo might be amazing but the 1st Castlevania is still the best.
Ninja Gaiden 2D games on the NES are the best, lol at everything else, seriously. Maybe Shadow, maybe.
SMB > M64 all day everyday until the day you die.

You cannot hope for me to take you seriously, you need a reality check.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
This was a tough one. I'd really like to go with a 5-way tie (between the NES, SNES, original grayscale Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, and NDS), but, if I could only play one Nintendo system for the rest of my life, I'd go with the SNES, as I think that console has the best overall selection of games in terms of variety and quality (plus, I really, really like SNES Populous).

madman

Make the math, I know you're not dumb, 10 great NES games per 1 great N64 game.

Rondo might be amazing but the 1st Castlevania is still the best.
Ninja Gaiden 2D games on the NES are the best, lol at everything else, seriously. Maybe Shadow, maybe.
SMB > M64 all day everyday until the day you die.

You cannot hope for me to take you seriously, you need a reality check.

I don't know about all that. First off, the NES had roughly 2x as many games as the N64 if we are talking purely North American releases. Even then a 5:1 ratio doesn't seem right, it would depend on game genres too. If you like racing games, the N64 is far and away the superior choice. The Zelda series? Better on N64. Fighting games? Once again, the N64 comes out far ahead of the NES. I'm sure next you'll tell me that Urban Champion helped define the fighting game genre. Sports games? N64.

The choice is clear.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Dude, staph. You are trying to talk about Racing games and sports games like that's the NES forte. Of course a lot of N64 racers are going to be better than NES racers due to graphics, lol, come the fuck on already with this logic of yours, geez. Zelda series, lol, keep your Zelda. You are being so irrational it's not even funny, chill man, accept the truth and realize the err of your ways. N64 is fun, no doubt but NES is it.

madman

Dude, staph. You are trying to talk about Racing games and sports games like that's the NES forte. Of course a lot of N64 racers are going to be better than NES racers due to graphics, lol, come the fuck on already with this logic of yours, geez. Zelda series, lol, keep your Zelda. You are being so irrational it's not even funny, chill man, accept the truth and realize the err of your ways. N64 is fun, no doubt but NES is it.

Dude, you shit on everyone on this forum who likes something you don't like and I'm the irrational one?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

You act as if fighting games were even a main stream thing during 90% of the NES life. I'd really like to know what you consider a good fighting game on the 64 too. Wargods? KI Gold?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Madman let's back up a bit. Look at your posts about this subject, forget that it's me for a second here, just look! It's straight up bullshit and you know it, for you to say that nostalgia is the only thing that makes us play NES is pretty irrational, some of these games still play better than a lot of stuff that has come up ever since, you know this, I know this, everybody knows this, what I dunno is why do you take that bullshit stance, are you just trolling?

madman

Madman let's back up a bit. Look at your posts about this subject, forget that it's me for a second here, just look! It's straight up bullshit and you know it, for you to say that nostalgia is the only thing that makes us play NES is pretty irrational, some of these games still play better than a lot of stuff that has come up ever since, you know this, I know this, everybody knows this, what I dunno is why do you take that bullshit stance, are you just trolling?

I'm not trolling. Ocarina of Time is one of the best games of all time, just because you don't like it doesn't make it shit. I think you're a solid dude, but the "LOL everything I don't like sucks and if you like it, you're stupid" schtick is really wearing thin. You do it all over the place on here. I grew up w/the NES, I like a lot of the games on it, many have stood the test of time despite the limited capabilities of the system. I find myself playing my N64 far more often than my NES.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
You act as if fighting games were even a main stream thing during 90% of the NES life. I'd really like to know what you consider a good fighting game on the 64 too. Wargods? KI Gold?

Oh man. War Gods. That was quite a laugh. I do dig KI Gold, but I've always liked the first game much more. I also really enjoyed the N64 version of MK trilogy, in spite of some of its fairly obvious issues. The smooth gameplay and larger, more detailed sprites and BGs let me overlook things like the serious audio deficiency (especially compared to the PS version) I also really liked doing away with unmasked Sub Zero and giving his moves to Classic Sub Zero.

As for Zelda, I think you're all wrong. To me, the first game trumps em all, and always will. It's nonlinear gameplay in one of it's purest forms, in every way. The story never gets in the way of actually playing, there's no mandatory 2 hour opening riddled with tutorials. From the moment you hit start, you're playing and exploring at your own peril, no set order or method in which to do things. Though to be fair, that's largely a modern Zelda problem, neither ALTTP, or LA really suffer from this, and OoT is only a minor offender, but they are all much more linear and deliberate than the first game. But still, first is best.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I agree with OOT being a good game. I actually like the N64 and enjoy it a lot. I never said OOT is shit. You're "nostalgic" comment just came across so hard, you know it did. I just said keep your Zeldas 'cause it's not enough for you to justify the N64 being up to par with NES, not even close. When I tell you there are a lot more great games on the NES than there are on the N64...well, it's true, how can you not accept that is beyond me.

Incidentally, what I like is always awesome, nothing but the best of the best, what I don't like doesn't necessarily suck but it's definitely not as good as the stuff I like, some of it does suck though, come on, you know my taste in video games is superb and it should be the mold for all gamers to come.

Edit: I think you're solid as well. Don't let it run thin man, appreciate me like I appreciate you...unconditionally, lol

Edit 2: The best Zelda will always be ALTTP, period.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Fighter's Destiny or GTFO.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

I think you meant to quote madman, lol. I do agree with you though.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Why fighting over something that's old news.

Yeah, the N64 is kinda crap, who cares, we have the benefit of hindsight and can pick and choose what's fun and steer clear of the rest.