• Samurai Shodown 64

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Samurai Shodown: Sen

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I'm really curious how members here liked 3 when it came out in '96. Game mags slammed it and said it was worse than 2. I was prety surprised when I played it for the first time how much I enjoyed it, but that was way later in like...2004? Maybe later even.

i had ss3 and 4 for my saturn back in the 90's and thought ss3 was far inferior to ss4 back then. and i remember when ss4 was the favourite of a lot of people here. but i guess over the years, most came to appreciate and understand ss3 more and saw the faults of ss4, as did i.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
i had ss3 and 4 for my saturn back in the 90's and thought ss3 was far inferior to ss4 back then. and i remember when ss4 was the favourite of a lot of people here. but i guess over the years, most came to appreciate and understand ss3 more and saw the faults of ss4, as did i.

So did you vote for 2?

vaanen

n00b
Is samurai showdown 64 really that bad ? It never seems to get any love, i never saw a 64 game that seemed to be "good"

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
How is Samsho 64 compared to one of my favs Soul Calibur?

Last edited:

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
Like everybody else I think Samurai Shodown II is probably my overall favorite but damn IV sure is beautiful. Since I'm nowhere near a competitive player any gameplay flaws it may have are easily lost on me.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Like everybody else I think Samurai Shodown II is probably my overall favorite but damn IV sure is beautiful. Since I'm nowhere near a competitive player any gameplay flaws it may have are easily lost on me.

this is how most come to think of the series and ss4. ss4 has certainly some of, if not the best backgrounds and presentation. and there was a time where fans were split between ss2 and ss4. but the longer you play the games in the series back and forth, you come to a realisation that the gameplay of ss4 is off and unbalanced.

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
this is how most come to think of the series and ss4. ss4 has certainly some of, if not the best backgrounds and presentation. and there was a time where fans were split between ss2 and ss4. but the longer you play the games in the series back and forth, you come to a realisation that the gameplay of ss4 is off and unbalanced.

So Samurai Shodown IV's balance issues is why many people say The Last Blade 2 is so much better?

Ip Man

15 Year Member
So Samurai Shodown IV's balance issues is why many people say The Last Blade 2 is so much better?

i don't know where last blade 2 comes into this. but i would say, last blase 2 is the better game. samurai shodowns 4's balance issues is what puts the game quite low on the list of many fans.

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
i don't know where last blade 2 comes into this. but i would say, last blase 2 is the better game. samurai shodowns 4's balance issues is what puts the game quite low on the list of many fans.

I guess I brought up The Last Blade 2 because so many people mention it whenever I bring up how much I enjoy Samurai Shodown IV. In all honesty it is an apples to oranges comparison, though.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I guess I brought up The Last Blade 2 because so many people mention it whenever I bring up how much I enjoy Samurai Shodown IV. In all honesty it is an apples to oranges comparison, though.

if you like samurai shodown 4, then great. it really is easy to love that game if not compared with the others. ss4 was in my top 3 neo games of all time once. but like many have done, including my self, i think once you get better at the game and spend a lot more time with the other games in the series, you will come to see the flaws of ss4.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
No one EVER mentions the first SS.

For reasons I don't really understand I prefer the first game to the second. The second has many improvements, but when I want to play one I almost always grab part 1.

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
For reasons I don't really understand I prefer the first game to the second. The second has many improvements, but when I want to play one I almost always grab part 1.

I think a lot of the reason people don't really talk about the first SS is the same reason that a lot of people didn't really talk about vanilla SFII once ST came out: SSII is largely seen as an improvement over SS but it doesn't really change the gameplay nearly as much SSIII or IV so it's almost like it's just an upgraded version.

That being said I know a lot of people who prefer Vanilla or Super SFII to ST so I could see why you'd prefer the first

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I prefer SFII: Champion Edition on the Genesis cuz I grew up with that

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Voted for SS3,I Love SS3,Its my favorite of the series!
The music is some of the best you can get in a Samurai Shodwon title!

crow

n00b
SamSho5S is the most well balanced and has the best footsies out of the whole series. It doesn't have the random aspect of item deliveries that II has and it's the most balanced for competitive play imo

strychnine

n00b
SS2 is my personal favorote, maybe I'm biased because it's the version I played the most at the local pizza place.

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
SSI is to me the best. I think is because it did a huge impact when I first played it. It is also very tactical...reminds me of a samurai movie duel.When all was fists in arcades, this came out to use swords in a fighting game. I still enjoy it to this day.

neofonta

Zero's Secretary
I voted for SS3 maybe it's just for nostalgia because it was the title I enjoyed more back in the days on arcade saloons