Best Shooter for MVS?

Sigmund

n00b
I know I'm probably opening a can of worms, but I figured I'd throw this one out there. I'm trying to build up my MVS collection now, and I want to get a couple shooters. Sooooo...

What's the best shooter on the Neo Geo?

I've been tempted to pick up Pulstar, or Blazing Star, but I thought I'd see what everyone else thinks I should get first. :)

Sigmund

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
If you have a dig in Gameplay Evil Wasabi ran a poll on shooters.

I'd grab Strikers and Prehistoric Isle (Strikers first). But I know that is not going to be the general flavour of this thread.

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
I feel Strikers is the best for shooters on the Neo, though I also feel it is the worst in the Strikers series.

I'm ruling out run and gun shooters here.

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Amix said:
I feel Strikers is the best for shooters on the Neo, though I also feel it is the worst in the Strikers series.
LOL, I feel the exact same way with the strikers series.

Blazing Star is THE bet shmup for the Neo.

waku7

Dodgeball Yakuza
If you like shooters, sell your neo geo.
Neo geo console is not a shooter console.
Buy a supergun, and great Arcade shooter pcbs, Progear, Guwange, Donpachi, etc...

Neo geo is dead.

parodius

n00b
View Point still amazes me, even after all these years.

Blazing Star comes second, although I don't really like rendered graphics (which can unfortunately be found in each Yumekobo shooter).

Waku7 has a point though, the few shooters on the Neo are quite good, but they are no match for other shooters on dedicated hardware : Strikers 1945+ is enjoyable, but the Neo is clearly underpowered for it, and the fact that it's a vertical shooter using an horizontal setup makes it even worse compared to the original Strikers.

parodius

n00b
BlackSpy said:

The original Strikers hardware handles more sprites like a charm, Strikers + suffers from a lot of slowdown. It is quite enjoyable though, so you don't notice it all the time.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Metal Slug remains the king of all shooters.
Metal Slug 3 is the feather in that crown.

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
parodius said:
The original Strikers hardware handles more sprites like a charm, Strikers + suffers from a lot of slowdown. It is quite enjoyable though, so you don't notice it all the time.

I think you have only played the ROM.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
The best vertical one is Strikers, and the best horizontal is Blazing Star. I don't really like the rest of shooters in the Neo. Personally, I can't stand Prehistoric Isle 2, Pulstar, Last Resort, View Point, etc.

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
BlackSpy said:
I think you have only played the ROM.

I don't think he does. When you near the final stages and are co-oping with a buddy, the game does slow down.

the binary c0de

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
20 Year Member
To me it seems weird that people call Metal Slug a shooter. I guess it does count, but I always saw shooters as a flying type game. If metal slug is a shooter, what is ninja combat? You can't say shit, cause I already did.

PS: i own it so I can call it whatever I like.;)

Freakit

Host for Orochi
defenitely Strikers! :buttrock:

it's defenitely majority vote and should be the first you get.
as for that comment about Prehistoric Isle 2 though.. i sure hope that was a joke. that game was one of the worst p.o.s. shooter's i've ever played. :annoyed:

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
Amix said:
I don't think he does. When you near the final stages and are co-oping with a buddy, the game does slow down.

That is not a lot of slowdown by any means, that is a tiny little slowdown that I have never noticed even when playing the final stages in co-op.

The ROM though, is apparently full of slowdown.

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
BlackSpy said:
That is not a lot of slowdown by any means, that is a tiny little slowdown that I have never noticed even when playing the final stages in co-op.

The ROM though, is apparently full of slowdown.

I too heard the ROM is plagued with slowdown, but I'm judging my experience with the MVS cart, which gets regular play. The game slows down in the final stages - there is no denying it (not that I'm saying you were).

It's still fun, but it seems half-assed.