Best tv for $700 or less?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
It home (obviously) with my 50 inch plasma up on the wall and I'm thinking it's time. Usually this game is easy. I walk into best buy, look at the wall of tv's, and see the picture difference. Can't do that, so i turn to you guys. Was looking at the 4k Samsung 8 series, but there are all these new brands that are cheaper. Any thoughts on tv shopping asst this price range? There's lg, Visio, hisense, tcl...all around 5-800. I'm looking at 65-70 inches.

Some help wound really be appreciated

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I hate walking into a store and seeing how crisp clear TVs look. That's all a bunch of lies. TVs will never look that crisp while watching TV.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I hate walking into a store and seeing how crisp clear TVs look. That's all a bunch of lies. TVs will never look that crisp while watching TV.

Yeah, but i can see the difference between the tvs. If they're showing 4k movies, it's pretty easy to tell which set I'll like better. Plus I can see the max viewing angle etc..

Maybe i just want out of the house, lol

Anyways...tv's? Thoughts?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
These real life quarantine problems...

I can't read the map on my videogame, while on the couch that's 13ft away, in split screen with my 8 year old son.

Come on guys, this is important!

Lol

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
NGT on suicide watch, day 1. Someone get this man a goddamn tv

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I have a tcl which is fine for a living room set but the speakers are next level awful. Particularly bad for even a flat screen. So external speakers are a must.

I also have a bigger Vizio that I do most of my console gaming on. Vizio has come a long was as a brand and would sooner go with one of those over the low tier Samsung all day.

eclypse

Banned
I'd say try to find a samsung 8 series 55" and above.

That model will allow you to not only use 4k but also 1440 120hz for pc and xbox one. Wish the ps4 could use that res.. maybe if they updated it.

This spec only starts at 55" and above. Newer models also have it but cost more.

Also has good game mode with low input lag.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I have a tcl which is fine for a living room set but the speakers are next level awful. Particularly bad for even a flat screen. So external speakers are a must.

I also have a bigger Vizio that I do most of my console gaming on. Vizio has come a long was as a brand and would sooner go with one of those over the low tier Samsung all day.

What do you us for external speakers?

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Just FINALLY made the 4k jump yesterday. Samsung has some good 50 inch choices for that price point.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Check rtings.com. I recommend TCL TVs. Best bang for the buck for budget sets.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
What do you us for external speakers?

It's the living room set and my whole home streaming ecosystem is Roku based so I got the Roku speakers. Just needs a wireless driver update and it's wire free.

They are spendy for what they are but are on sale often. $150 is a good price for them. Only work with Roku TV's though. Not for use with the standalone Roku devices.

https://www.roku.com/products/audio/roku-tv-wireless-speakers-bundle

Bonus they make rear, center, and a sub all wireless if you want to do the surround sound thing.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
As a guy who used to work at a store that sold them, do NOT buy a Hisense TV. Low end picture quality, even lower end durability.

Vizios are a decent value.

Samsung and LG are always nice.

TCL is really good bang for buck too.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
As a guy who used to work at a store that sold them, do NOT buy a Hisense TV. Low end picture quality, even lower end durability.

Vizios are a decent value.

Samsung and LG are always nice.

TCL is really good bang for buck too.

+1 on hisense being trash. tcl and vizio are the best values on the market tight now.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Treat yourself, get an OLED LG, picture is simply amazing. I've always been a Sony guy but i got converted with this TV.

For gaming, i believe the TCL have pretty good input lag w/ very friendly price tag.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Hahaha HDR coming in here with his big tyme suggestion and then saying 'oh but for gaming the tcl is fine' yeah ahuh.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Ultimately comes down to use case but I'd second the TCLs and Vizios for value proposition.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Sidenote on the TCL - the roku style remote that they come with is super duper line of sight. Going with the roku speakers i have, you get the normal bluetooth style remote you find in a standalone roku device and it makes the experience a million times better.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Treat yourself, get an OLED LG, picture is simply amazing. I've always been a Sony guy but i got converted with this TV.

For gaming, i believe the TCL have pretty good input lag w/ very friendly price tag.

LG Oled has the best picture for years. No one is coming close yet.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
If you're playing console 60hz is fine

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
As an owner of an LG OLED, I'd recommend avoiding them anyway. The OLED tech is more susceptible to burn-in than even plasma was. So... gaming, sports, pretty much anything that leaves a graphic in the same location for a long time will cause burn-in. LG's BS precautions like turning off the TV after 2 hours won't save you, as persistent graphics simply cause the underlying OLED pixels to age faster than the rest of the TV. If I had known then what I know now, I would have used the LG for movies only if at all and gotten something else for everyday use.

I'm not sure about the cheapo Samsungs, but I'm eyeballing the QLED ones for when I finally get sick enough of the burn-in to switch TVs.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Will it make and difference in anything else? 4k movie? Etc? Yeah, I really don't know sh...about this, lol

No way- movies run at 24 fps 99.99 percent of the time. Occasionally some weird director shoots at a faster speed and the end result is inevitably awful.

XBSX and PS5 might be capable of running some stuff at 120 fps, but that's counting chickens and all.