Best tv for $700 or less?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
No way- movies run at 24 fps 99.99 percent of the time. Occasionally some weird director shoots at a faster speed and the end result is inevitably awful.

XBSX and PS5 might be capable of running some stuff at 120 fps, but that's counting chickens and all.

+1

also the whole "soap opera mode" of watching tv at 120hz. im not a fan of fiddling with settings every time i switch what media i am consuming.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
As an owner of an LG OLED, I'd recommend avoiding them anyway. The OLED tech is more susceptible to burn-in than even plasma was. So... gaming, sports, pretty much anything that leaves a graphic in the same location for a long time will cause burn-in. LG's BS precautions like turning off the TV after 2 hours won't save you, as persistent graphics simply cause the underlying OLED pixels to age faster than the rest of the TV. If I had known then what I know now, I would have used the LG for movies only if at all and gotten something else for everyday use.

I'm not sure about the cheapo Samsungs, but I'm eyeballing the QLED ones for when I finally get sick enough of the burn-in to switch TVs.
How old is your LG OLED? The latest models are better for burn-in, and other issues related to the colors.
TV's usually have at least a year's warranty, so if it's prone to burn-in, you'll probably know about it, early on.
Panasonic and Sony OLEDs are also good.

I would say that an OLED TV is the way to go, if you can afford it. You can often get TVs cheaper online, than going to a store. The type of picture technology that the TV uses is more important than the size of the screen.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Get the cheaper one, spend the $150 on the roku speakers (unless you already have a system to use) and come out $100 ahead with a better remote.

The difference between the 2 is negligable.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Decent deal on the 5 series. I'd go with that.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
How old is your LG OLED? The latest models are better for burn-in, and other issues related to the colors.
TV's usually have at least a year's warranty, so if it's prone to burn-in, you'll probably know about it, early on.
Panasonic and Sony OLEDs are also good.

I would say that an OLED TV is the way to go, if you can afford it. You can often get TVs cheaper online, than going to a store. The type of picture technology that the TV uses is more important than the size of the screen.

I have an LG B8 OLED and have been using it for the past year. I don't spend hours and hours on end gaming or watching news or anything and I haven't experienced any burn in. But that's just the thing, I don't use it heavily so I'm likely to never experience these issues. I would not however use it as a PC monitor, that is just plain dumb.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I was going to suggest a TCL 5-Series but it seems like a bunch already have. That's what I use in my game room and it's very nice for the money.

The 6-Series kinda kicks it's butt through with the ~120 local dimming zones or whatever it is. I have a 65" TCL 6-Series in my living room as my main TV... which I just checked the price on and it's only $729 now! (I paid a grand maybe a year ago). I would HIGHLY suggest you stretch your budget by $30 (plus tax of course) and get the 65R617/615. I've been extremely happy with it and I literally still have people say "wow" every time somebody new comes over to my house (and it's usually only running 1080p since thats what my media computer runs... when I put on 4K content peoples minds are blown!).

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Man, i was all set and then you came in, lol. Anyone else feel the same way? I'd be up for a couple extra hundred for a better picture. You said you own both tvs. Is the difference that noticeable?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
also, I've been reading about the poor viewing angle of the tlc tvs. True?

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Man, i was all set and then you came in, lol. Anyone else feel the same way? I'd be up for a couple extra hundred for a better picture. You said you own both tvs. Is the difference that noticeable?

I just saw your link above to the 65" TCL 65R625 - which is the newer version of my 65R617 I think (and these prices just keep dropping...)... but for $30 more I would go for the newer version if the reviews of it are similar to the last model (I haven't been following TBH).

I'm going off info that's a year+ old when I got mine, but if the same differences between the 5 and 6 series still hold true now, yes, I think it's worth the extra money for the 6-series with those dimming zones. I still get slight backlight bleed (think that's the proper term) on my 5 series because it doesn't have those. TCL's still aren't perfect - when I got mine there was a whole mess of people who didn't like the DSE (dirty screen effect) theirs had, and I didn't like it on mine either, but then I ran those same tests on my two like $1500/each color calibrated NEC monitors I have at work for design stuff and those STILL had DSE just a little bit... so I don't think anything is perfect.

Viewing angle is just fine for a regular size room (mine is like 15x18' maybe?). Plus whose living room is big enough where you even have seating all the way across the room to get a bad viewing angle? Like maybe if I'm in the kitchen it's not the greatest, but I'm also 20+ feet away so I think that's normal).

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The TV for 749.99 is QLED, which has better picture quality than the LED screen that the other TV has. But QLED and LED are just a more advanced version of LCD technology. OLED is a totally different technology.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
when I got mine there was a whole mess of people who didn't like the DSE (dirty screen effect) theirs had, and I didn't like it on mine either, but then I ran those same tests on my two like $1500/each color calibrated NEC monitors I have at work for design stuff and those STILL had DSE just a little bit... so I don't think anything is perfect.

You and I (possibly the entire board) have a very different idea of what DSE means.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I have an LG B8 OLED and have been using it for the past year. I don't spend hours and hours on end gaming or watching news or anything and I haven't experienced any burn in. But that's just the thing, I don't use it heavily so I'm likely to never experience these issues. I would not however use it as a PC monitor, that is just plain dumb.

I don't play games on my OLED C8. It's just for movies and tv shows.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I don't play games on my OLED C8. It's just for movies and tv shows.
Games can be a problem because they can have a static image stay on the screen for a long time. You don't get that so much with movies or TV.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Sound like a plan. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
also, I've been reading about the poor viewing angle of the tlc tvs. True?

Who watches TV from an angle anyway?

Spoiler:
Answer: A fagit

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I hate walking into a store and seeing how crisp clear TVs look. That's all a bunch of lies. TVs will never look that crisp while watching TV.

I find the opposite to be true. Most TVs are just taken out of the box, put on display, and possibly fed some shitty signal going to all displays. I can make my old plasma with a good calibration disc look better than any of them, even though many of the newer TVs are easily better.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I find the opposite to be true. Most TVs are just taken out of the box, put on display, and possibly fed some shitty signal going to all displays. I can make my old plasma with a good calibration disc look better than any of them, even though many of the newer TVs are easily better.

I'm stuck in the same situation. My last gen panasonic Plasma still looks amazing. The main negatives are it's heavy and puts out some heat. I wouldn't mind something slimmer, but Im not seeing anything compelling enough.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Who watches TV from an angle anyway?

Spoiler:
Answer: A fagit

My couch is centered, but my much more comfortable chair is at about a 45 degree angle from the tv

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
If you're coming from a Plasma, especially a Panasonic or Pioneer "upgrading" to most LCDs will probably be a downgrade tbh. OLED seems like the obvious choice but seems out of your budget.

The sentiments of TCL being a good low budget monitor are very real though. They have low input lag, often are OSSC compatible in 4x/5x mode, 4k resolution,higher refresh rate and come in large sizes. Just know the motion clarity, viewing angles, and black levels are probably not going to be up to par with your plasma.

In any case it would probably be best if you listed what your true priorities are. Low input lag, 4k resolution, screen size, motion resolution, 120HZ etc. At the end of the day you will need to make compromises at that price range given the screen size you want it 65-70 inches.

Below is a good site to see reviews.

https://www.rtings.com/

Last edited: