Best tv for $700 or less?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
My couch is centered, but my much more comfortable chair is at about a 45 degree angle from the tv

My guess is if you're fine watching your current TV from a 45 degree angle, any new TV will be as good or better. I have a 65" TCL 4 series (the budget model) that looks good from an angle, at least to me. Reviews tend to focus on such things because there's honestly not a huge difference for the average person. If you're coming from a 10-year-old set or something, even the cheapest new 4k set is going to look great.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Are curved TVs still a thing
Not really. They don't really make them any more, because people found that they reflect the light in the room too much. Or something like that. Flat screens are better, IMO.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Or maybe they were just a retarded gimmick to sell TVs during a time when the technology had stagnated.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Thanks! I want a really nice crisp picture with bright colors and good blacks. I'd like the same picture at straight on as 45 degrees too. That's about it really. Lag or blurry movement would suck too, but I'm not super picky. I am coming from an 8 year old 50 inch Panasonic plasma. I love the color and black on it.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Are curved TVs still a thing

Planning to buy the new 49" Samsung Ultrawide monitor curve for my racing rig. i think if you're close then i can see its uses for better immersion.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I have a superwide curved LG monitor on my desk at my office. It felt gimmicky when they issued it to me. I haven't been there for several weeks at this point, but guessing that it still feels gimmicky.

Also in the market for a new tv to play primarily old consoles on via Framemeister. Checked out a couple of the links to TCL sets NGT posted - what's the difference between say 4 series and 5 series?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
For a desktop computer setup curved displays are awesome. Far from your face on a wall as a TV they are dumb.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I have a superwide curved LG monitor on my desk at my office. It felt gimmicky when they issued it to me. I haven't been there for several weeks at this point, but guessing that it still feels gimmicky.

Also in the market for a new tv to play primarily old consoles on via Framemeister. Checked out a couple of the links to TCL sets NGT posted - what's the difference between say 4 series and 5 series?

Mainly build quality. I own both models and don't notice any significant difference in terms of PQ. The 5 series looks sleeker and more stylish on the wall or stand.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I recommend a sorny, magnetbox or maybe a genuine panaphonic

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

This is strictly for input lag. You can generally go to their home page, use the search bar at the top and view a full review of the TV you are considering.

I also recommend a sound bar since most TV's have shit speakers. Does wonders and much more convenient than surround systems (some sound bars support optional rear wireless speakers if you opt to them in the future). That site also reviews sound bars.

Edit: Just saw ChuChu Flamingo posted the link already

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

This is strictly for input lag. You can generally go to their home page, use the search bar at the top and view a full review of the TV you are considering.

I also recommend a sound bar since most TV's have shit speakers. Does wonders and much more convenient than surround systems (some sound bars support optional rear wireless speakers if you opt to them in the future). That site also reviews sound bars.

Edit: Just saw ChuChu Flamingo posted the link already

I have a sound bar/sub setup already. It's an older Sony model and sounds great! I can control the volume with my x1 xfinity controller, but i can't get the controller to change the input. That has to be done manually, which kind of sucks.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
The one I stole from your grandmas basement.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Have I gone back in time or something?

Back to the Future 4, when Marty McFly goes back, to the future, to stop Biff Tannen from stealing his grandma's tv, a 5000K etherscreen that Marty and Doc procured in the year 2150 with built in multi-dimensional channel reception. At no point will they explain why Grandma is living in the future, but essentially time is just a number.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Thanks! I want a really nice crisp picture with bright colors and good blacks. I'd like the same picture at straight on as 45 degrees too. That's about it really. Lag or blurry movement would suck too, but I'm not super picky. I am coming from an 8 year old 50 inch Panasonic plasma. I love the color and black on it.
An OLED would be the only type of TV that has similar blacks to a plasma. On QLED and LED TV's the picture quality gets worse when you look at them from an angle, which isn't the case with OLED.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If I turn the lights out it's hard to know where the tv starts or ends when there's a dark scene with an OLED.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
It home (obviously) with my 50 inch plasma up on the wall and I'm thinking it's time. Usually this game is easy. I walk into best buy, look at the wall of tv's, and see the picture difference. Can't do that, so i turn to you guys. Was looking at the 4k Samsung 8 series, but there are all these new brands that are cheaper. Any thoughts on tv shopping asst this price range? There's lg, Visio, hisense, tcl...all around 5-800. I'm looking at 65-70 inches.

Some help wound really be appreciated
Is it possible that you could let us know which TV you ended up getting?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Is it possible that you could let us know which TV you ended up getting?

giphy.gif

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Sorry, i haven't bought one yet. I was waiting a bit to see if came back in stock. Then i got caught up in work and have been putting in consistant 10-12 hour days. I'm going to get the 65r625. Sorry to leave you hanging

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Sorry, i haven't bought one yet. I was waiting a bit to see if came back in stock. Then i got caught up in work and have been putting in consistant 10-12 hour days. I'm going to get the 65r625. Sorry to leave you hanging

Im sure joe8 can sleep now.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Good! I can't. I keep waking up at like 5 thinking about work. :(

I have this innate ability where I forget about work the moment I crack a tinnie, you should try it sometime.