BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Didn't Singer do that Superman movie? The sequel to the Reeves superman film? That wasn't very good. As I recall cyclops was in it as well.
Yes, he did that and yes, it was horrible.

Superman basically comes back to earth after being gone several years, stalks his ex (spies on her with super hearing and x-ray vision in her own home), and breaks up her family. And the ex happens to be his best friend and co-worker in his Clark Kent identity, and she doesn't know he's Superman. So, at some point, Superman knocked up Lois while maintaining a completely separate relationship with her as a friend and co-worker. Then ditched her for several years, came back, and destroyed her relationship with the man who raised his son.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The first 2 Spiderman movies are fine. They're no worse than any of the newer Marvel stuff, in fact they're actually better than a lot of it. Of course they've aged, they're 20 years old.

fami seems to have an irrational hatred of them as any time they come up he shits all over them. Which is hilarious given the amount of absolutely atrocious stuff he defends so often.

Reactions: wyo

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Y'all hear there is a rumor that Giancarlo Esposito is a possible choice to play Charles Xavier in the MCU?

I mean... If that has any truth to it.... Hell yeah.

Reactions: jro

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The first 2 Spiderman movies are fine. They're no worse than any of the newer Marvel stuff, in fact they're actually better than a lot of it. Of course they've aged, they're 20 years old.

fami seems to have an irrational hatred of them as any time they come up he shits all over them. Which is hilarious given the amount of absolutely atrocious stuff he defends so often.
The third Raimi movie is universally accepted as the weakest of the three, but even that, I would rate above many of the current Marvel Studios output.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Fami's just butthurt that they didn't make a 90s Spiderman cartoon movie so he can proclaim it to be the best Spiderman thing ever.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Y'all hear there is a rumor that Giancarlo Esposito is a possible choice to play Charles Xavier in the MCU?

I mean... If that has any truth to it.... Hell yeah.

That would be...incredible.

I just wonder who could even stand alongside him as Magneto. You'd need another actor of great caliber.

The third Raimi movie is universally accepted as the weakest of the three, but even that, I would rate above many of the current Marvel Studios output.

Oof, that's a low blow lol...but probably not wrong. I just can't stand Peter's haircut changing in Spidey 3 when he's like good Peter it's normal and then it's all Emo when he's bad Peter. Just super cringe. But yeah,

Last edited:

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I knew it would be terrible but I gave it a shot because Lance Reddick is in it but it's so incredibly stupid. The opening scene alone is so far beyond any semblance of logic. It looks cheap as hell too. I looked up some reviews after I turned it off and "confusing, stupid, mess" seems to be a common theme.

I just don't understand why they insist on making more RE stuff, shit the new reboot or whatever was apparently a total disaster and financial flop. They probably shouldn't have doubled down on that.
I sat down with it 2 episodes of RE on Netflix andLance is kinda the only saving grace of the show. It's poorly paced, the plot is middling and, since it's produced by Constatin Films (same producers as the movies with Milla Jovovich) it kinda has the same issues as said movies.

Not sure if RE Welcome to Raccoon city is any better but whatevs.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I finally watched No Way Home a couple nights ago, and as a Spider-Man movie, it was garbage. Better than Far From Home because...how could it not be. But not as good as Homecoming. And I didn't particularly like that one, either.

First, you've got a main character who in terms of personality, does not resemble Peter Parker in the slightest. Let's just get that out of the way. He's incredibly selfish throughout and kind of ditzy, and untouched by any tragedy until the end of this one, because there was no Uncle Ben in his world. So he became a hero just because. He doesn't even get the power/responsibility speech until the third movie, now from his aunt. And even then, he doesn't seem to grasp it as he secretly plans to murder Norman and has to be stopped by the other, more authentic versions of Peter.

If you're going to have Aunt May be a young MILF dating Tony Stark's best friend, and "MJ" as a completely new character with completely new personality who only happens to have the same initials as Mary Jane, stuff like that, that is all fine. You know, whatever. But at bare minimum, to make a Spider-Man movie, you at least need to have Peter Parker (or Miles Morales). And these "Home" movies don't.

Everything that was enjoyable in No Way Home came from the previous movies. The three Peters together. The old villains. Which is already a bad sign for the movie. And it used those elements from previous series in a cheap, manipulative way.

The one thing in this movie that did not come from previous series, but that I did find interesting, was the choice to turn Jameson into Alex Jones. Just straight up Alex Jones. That was an interesting way to update the character to modern times. But the downside it that it instantly makes him irredeemable. Plus, you lose a lot of supporting cast, and it's not like Peter is ever going to get a part time job working on an alt right internet show.

Then to top everything else off, we end No Way Home by basically adapting a bit of One More Day, the most hated Spider-Man story in comics history. Which can be undone, whatever. But the idea that out of 60 years of comics, they'd choose to pull from One More Day as inspiration, is another reason No Way Home sucked.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think I'm done with The Orville. Season 3 is an entire session on gender roles, but it's aliens instead....
-This race doesnt like men. -This other race doesnt like women... -This person doesnt like Aliens. -The robots were treated like slaves...
Don't Worry! The Union is here to save the day and smash alien gender bias!!

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Agreed on Orville. Bummer, it had promise in those two first seasons.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Went back and watched the first 2 Columbo pilot movies. They're from 71 so they still have a heavy late 60s vibe, especially the intro to the first one. It's quite a psychedelic animated thing that wouldn't be out of place in a James Bond credit sequence. The soundtrack as well is far more avant-garde and experimental.

Columbo himself is quite a bit different, he's not as disheveled looking and doesn't lean too hard into the bumbling and scatterbrained act to throw off the killer that he's so well known for. He doesn't have the car and there is never a "just one ore thing" moment. He also becomes outright aggressive and threatening a couple of times, which felt extremely out of character, though he does it for a particular reason. He does play to peoples arrogance and ego in order to allow them to trap themselves but it's not nearly as satisfying or sly as the later episodes.

They're both still extremely solid TV movies for the time and Peter Falk is of course outstanding especially in one on one scenes with the killer that are very dialogue heavy. Just two highly skilled actors going toe to toe for an extended period, something that is almost gone from modern TV and movies. It's interesting to see how quickly the character and Peter Falk's portrayal evolved.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Not sure if Episode 10 was the season finale of Orville season 3, but if so the finally killed off that stupid blonde chick thank good.

Below average season.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I think I'm done with The Orville. Season 3 is an entire session on gender roles, but it's aliens instead....
-This race doesnt like men. -This other race doesnt like women... -This person doesnt like Aliens. -The robots were treated like slaves...
Don't Worry! The Union is here to save the day and smash alien gender bias!!
I don't know the show in question but most new American (and British) tv is unwatchable because of the constant shoehorning of Twitter leftism into everything.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don't know the show in question but most new American (and British) tv is unwatchable because of the constant shoehorning of Twitter leftism into everything.
I can handle a little wokeness, but it spans the entire Season 3 of Orville. It's not a small side plot, it is the only plot.

I can accept that every new YA netflix show has at least 1 bipoc and 1 asian in a group of 4 teenage kids. One of which will absolutely be gay. It's a lot of checkboxes for a small group, but it is what it is now. It's comical at this point, and I can usually get past it.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
My own peak wokebottery moment was an episode of the female Dr. Who is which the antagonist was.... wait for it.... an intergalactic racist who wants to exterminate all sentient life from the universe except (of course) white Homo Sapiens! I laughed so hard I spurted Pepsi from my nose.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think so many writers (or rather probably the execs who have editorial control) fail to realize is that it’s perfectly fine to have a progressive message. In my mind being “woke” on television is simply pandering to whatever interest/groups/messages in a way that is both not natural or in furtherance of the story.

Star Trek: Discovery is “woke” while Star Trek: Strange New Worlds isn’t, despite both shows promoting progressive values and often the same message (Discovery has a host of other problems but that’s neither here nor there.)

Whoever said “woke” television is merely hitting a checklist of progressive/leftist/whatever values is correct. Usually to the detriment of the story.

Star Trek Deep Space 9 is a good example. You have a black Captain and I have no doubt they wanted to show a black man as a positive role model and a position of power. Was it Progressive for the time? Yes. Was it Woke? No, because they weren’t pandering to the audience. Same with a female captain on Voyager.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I think so many writers (or rather probably the execs who have editorial control) fail to realize is that it’s perfectly fine to have a progressive message. In my mind being “woke” on television is simply pandering to whatever interest/groups/messages in a way that is both not natural or in furtherance of the story.

Whoever said “woke” television is merely hitting a checklist of progressive/leftist/whatever values is correct. Usually to the detriment of the story.
This is the real problem, they feel the need to cram a certain amount of items from the checklist into something and it always comes off as forced. It gets really bad when they have a limited amount of characters to work with that they often double up on things. The new Doctor Strange had America who was a hispanic teen girl, that's perfectly fine but they had to stuff in that her parents were a lesbian couple. That was completely unnecessary, it added nothing and most of all stood out as needlessly pandering.

Instead of doubling down on the woke checklist they should have had it be a single mother and a younger sibling, that would have added actual emotional impact instead of feeling like a forced moment so that the writers and execs could pat themselves on the back for being progressive for the sake of it.

The execs don't seem to realize that the audience can spot this a mile away, they actually think they're doing something great and should be commended for it and if you're not 110% on board you're the problem. That's how most SJW/woke people roll, they never realize how condescending it is and assume everyone is so ignorant they need to have change forcibly stuffed down their throat because they know what's best for everyone.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
My own peak wokebottery moment was an episode of the female Dr. Who is which the antagonist was.... wait for it.... an intergalactic racist who wants to exterminate all sentient life from the universe except
Up until here, the mystery antagonist could have been Davros and the Daleks. They already serve that exact function in Doctor Who.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
New episodes of Beavis and Butt-Head are up now on Paramount+. Anybody check them out yet?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
No, my sub ended and I won’t resub until Strange New Worlds season 2 comes out.