BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I've been re-watching Warehouse 13 and finished it a couple days a go. The last season is terrible, apparently I had never watched it before because I'm pretty sure I'd remember something that bad. A majority of the rest of the series is still quite enjoyable and is one show that I think actually benefits from it's SyFy channel original cheapness.

So after mostly enjoying that I thought I'd give Eureka another shot. Holy shit is this awful, just fucking awful. The pilot is okay, enjoyable even but it goes downhill so fast and at a certain point takes a hard turn into chick flick for nerds territory and abandons all sense of fun and focuses almost entirely on relationships. It sucks seeing all these likable actors relegated to a sci-fi soap opera of the lowest level.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Late to the party on this one but I think a lot of the times when people are crying about "wokeness" what they're really mad about is shit writing and miscasting. There's nothing wrong with addressing political and social issues in your entertainment and people who constantly overreact to every casting decision or story choice that even remotely smells of "wokeness" are as much a part of the problem as the dummies who constantly defend it. Many of the best shows and movies (including several that are awful now like Star Trek and Doctor Who) have addressed political and social issues in meaningful ways and some of the best movies ever made had race/gender swapped characters. The difference was that they cast the right person.

Asking entertainment to be "apolitical" just tells me you're a child who's incapable of having your worldview challenged.

The problem is that most of the people who work in writers' rooms these days are talentless dickholsters who are completely incapable of subtlety, much less basic writing skills like believable natural dialogue or simple set up and payoff storytelling. Sure a lot of their political posturing is juvenile and they're completely incapable of acknowledging or accepting legitimate criticism (it's probably a big reason why they're so godawful at their jobs) but the vast majority of their dumb shit could be salvaged if the writing was halfway decent and they cast the right people for the parts.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Hey The Sandman came out some days ago. What's the consensus?
It's pretty good. They made some changes to characters with their casting choices, the type we're all tired of hearing about or discussing. I only bring it up because in the cases of Rose Walker and Lucien, the changes end up causing some hilarious unintended consequences that work against what the producers were trying to accomplish by making the changes in the first place. 5 seconds of thinking might have avoided it, but most probably won't notice anyway, so whatever.

But overall, it's well done. It's authentic where it needs to be, and more than I was expecting. The atmosphere is fine, the effects are decent. The music is only adequate, but by no means bad. The only casting choice that did bother me was Patton Aswalt as the talking raven, because he annoys me in general. Mark Hamill voices a talking pumkin head, which is nice. I've seen some people complain about the actor for Death, but she was perfect.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
No. Not one other human being on this entire planet besides you has seen it. What's it about?
I would like to suggest that there be a new emoticon created that makes it clear that recipient of said emoticon is a fucking retard who should be sterilized in hopes of not contributing to the ongoing general idiocracy of the planet.

Why no, of course not, there's not a recent prior post in this thread that might have any impact whatsover on the ideas contained in the preceding sentences.

Anyway, the finale for Better Call Saul was solid if a bit unexpected. I dunno, I think I like it overall, especially as a contrast to how Breaking Bad ended, but I'm just still kinda on the fence as to whether Gilligan and Gould earned it or not. The execution was so good, though, that I guess I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, even if I can't help but think something darker would have felt more authentic.

edit: that's way too much thinking. That's gonna send me down a bad/joe9 path if I'm not careful.

Edit that actually means something: give Rhea Seehorn her well-deserved Emmy. Odenkirk was great but she was the heart of that show.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
give Rhea Seehorn her well-deserved Emmy.
Double agreed she is a phenomenal actress and Kim is one of the best characters in recent TV history. Maybe not the biggest standout comparatively but a truly strong and deep character.

We Met in Virtual Reality- This is an HBOMax "documentary" about people meeting and trying to find relationships in VR. I have no interest in this aside from just being curious as to how exactly it was shot and presented and that there might be some sort of actual story thread. There is not. Turns out it's exactly what you'd expect, a bunch of weirdos with little anime girl avatars being super awkward and creepy. Got about 15 minutes in before I had to turn it off.

Also VRChat is far more shitty looking than I imagined, which makes it extra creepy. There is a scene where a bunch of people are riding in a car and the song "Lowrider" is playing and I think it's supposed to be kind of like a "wow look at this, isn't it cool and amazing really demonstrates the kind of freedom that VR can provide" but it's a car full of little girls with giant tits so big that they are glitching out the physics and are being controlled by socially retarded degenerates and it has the complete opposite effect as intended. It's fucking Sonic fan art level cringe.

Oh and this makes sure to stay on the nice side of the VR world and this is the best they could do. It just skims the somewhat acceptable of what I can only imagine not much deeper is a nightmare world. It almost seems like a bizarre elaborate ad.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I have literally zero interest in virtual reality and I'm inclined to agree with you: VR is for socially retarded degenerates who can't cope with reality. Zuck wants the meta verse to be a thing, but it's dead on arrival. No one wants it.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I have literally zero interest in virtual reality and I'm inclined to agree with you: VR is for socially retarded degenerates who can't cope with reality. Zuck wants the meta verse to be a thing, but it's dead on arrival. No one wants it.
Hey. HEY... try Vader Immortal.
Or Alyx.

Otherwise... VR is bs.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Hey. HEY... try Vader Immortal.
Or Alyx.

Otherwise... VR is bs.

I’ll try a VR game when a Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo console ships with it day one. Until then it’s early adopter stuff, not interested.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
My wife wanted an Oculus to play Beat Saber, which we do from time to time because its kinda fun in short spurts. I just set up a blank Facebook profile to log into it because you need a FB profile. Stupid.

Anyway, Vader Immortal is pretty immersive, and there are lightsaber trials that you can play which are quite a bit of fun.

Alyx is cool because its just a continuation of the weird non-story story of Half Life 2. Also, I do like Star Wars Squadrons in it because that is really cool visually. I just dont have a flight stick or anything so its not that immersive. But playing in VR mode even with a controller is pretty fun. Its novel, but not the end-all-be-all of gaming by any means.

For me I have to stop playing at about 30 minutes because I get nauseated.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I briefly had a PSVR and used for maybe 12 hours, that was enough to know it's not for me. The sickness and disorientation were minimal (but still present), the real problem is that it's still mostly just a gimmick at best and just far enough removed from reality that it didn't feel mentally healthy even at this current level. My nephew has an Oculus that he was super hyped to get but last time I asked him about it he forgot he even owned it. Said he used it for about a week before he went back to playing regular games and he is the prime demographic.

There is a graffiti making app for the Occulus that is pretty interesting and I've seen people do some neat stuff with it but nothing really impressive.

People make fun of goofy shit like Lawnmower Man but honestly that looked way cooler than actual VRChat, which literally looks like an ugly broken fan made PS2 mmorpg.

All these Web3 and Metaverse people are out of their minds if they think this shit is the future and regular people are going to willingly adopt it.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Doom VFR is fun with the right settings but it's like a 3 hour game and I haven't really used my PSVR since I got done with it.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
So yeah I was thinking about how I need a women like Kim Wexler.
She's a real ride or die women, totally understandable how she bailed after Howards brains were emptied in her front room.
The first few episodes of season 6 seemed like a rehashes but I was excited to see the gang back together after a several year hiatus.
By season three the show found its footing and felt like watching breaking bad.
Season 4&5 were epic and some of the best television ever.
I liked how in the end you felt disgust for Jimmy/Saul and welcomed the resolution.
Kind of like how in Breaking Bad at the end you just hoped for Walt to die.
Really he was a scammer degenerate, inside was a decent person with morals but he was never able to fully break out and reach his full potential.
Too much media in the last 30 years have had us cheering for the bad guy, or showed us alternative views and the antihero.
Also loved how Carol Burnett guest starred in the final episodes.

Other good examples of strong women portrayed in the media:
Dick Cheney's wife in the movie Vice
George Carlin's wife in a documentary

Also^^^^^

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I'm halfway through the second episode of The Rehearsal. It's completely insane, unlike anything else on television. Nathan Fielder is both brilliant and an utter lunatic, and I gotta give HBO some props for providing what must have been some very hefty and honestly kind of risky funding for this. Very curious what Fielder will make next on his overall deal.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
My friend just binged the show and is basically saying the same thing about The Rehearsal. Funny you brought it up he just told me about it today.

Last edited:
Reactions: jro

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
My friend just binged the shoe and is basically saying the same thing about The Rehearsal. Funny you brought it up he just told me about it today.
I also binge shoes occasionally.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Two episodes into The Rehearsal and yeah it's fucking nuts. I am somewhat familiar with Fielder from Nathan For You but this is next level. As fascinating and brilliant as it is awkward and insane. Unbelievably original.

Edit: Holy shit this goes so far beyond what I thought. The layers just keep getting added.

Last edited:
Reactions: jro