BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I was somehow completely unaware that there was an Arrested Development season 5. Season 4 was pretty terrible but this is just fucking awful. What a fucking mess. Nothing feels right, it's like they are constantly trying to prove to the audience that they know what made the show good but are nowhere even close to understanding it on even the most basic level. It also feels like most of the cast doesn't even want to be involved. I know that everyone is now busy and getting them all together is difficult but fucking hell. There are entire scenes where it's obvious that no-one is even in the same room together and it's all green screened or they are using stand-ins and shooting around them. It's pathetic.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I was somehow completely unaware that there was an Arrested Development season 5. Season 4 was pretty terrible but this is just fucking awful. What a fucking mess. Nothing feels right, it's like they are constantly trying to prove to the audience that they know what made the show good but are nowhere even close to understanding it on even the most basic level. It also feels like most of the cast doesn't even want to be involved. I know that everyone is now busy and getting them all together is difficult but fucking hell. There are entire scenes where it's obvious that no-one is even in the same room together and it's all green screened or they are using stand-ins and shooting around them. It's pathetic.

I never finished "season 4" which was basically a bunch of vignette type episodes because no one could get together. Never seen season 5 and by the sounds of it, I don't need to.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I never finished "season 4" which was basically a bunch of vignette type episodes because no one could get together. Never seen season 5 and by the sounds of it, I don't need to.
Season 4 was even "remixed" to try and make it more cohesive, which didn't help but season 5 is leagues worse.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
I am actually watching Young sheldon right now, it is one of the best shows I've ever watched. Which I was highly surprised because I hate big bang theory with a passion, think big bang is one of the worst shows ever. Pure trash it is.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Watched season 1 of The Sinner on netflix. Pretty strong. First episode was okay but I thought I could see exactly where it was going. Turned out to be a lot more elaborate than I expected without ever seeming like a cheat or twisty for twist's sake. If following seasons maintain this level of quality, I'll keep watching.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Bill espisode was some of the best TV I've watched for a long time. The homo stuff didn't bother me as it wasn't gratuitously done, and was emotionally engaging - just as the original game was. And of course, in the original game, it was heavily implied that Bill batted for the other team anyway.

Ugggggh... Bella Ramsey. Christ. Looks like someone set fire to her face and then tried to put it out with a spade. Fuck knows why they thought it was a good decision to cast her.
And I seriously doubt Ashley Johnson would have said no. Or Kaitlin Dever who was also considered AFAIK.

Anyway... Do check out Physical 100. The Algorithm popped it up on my feed after Alice In Borderland and it's fantastic. First Netflix show I've come across that has more than two release dates, otherwise I'd have binged it in a day.

Side note, Alice In Borderland was pretty good right up to the ending, which... yeah. I had not read the manga. Sort of works I guess but, I mean, really?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Anyway... Do check out Physical 100. The Algorithm popped it up on my feed after Alice In Borderland and it's fantastic. First Netflix show I've come across that has more than two release dates, otherwise I'd have binged it in a day.
I fast forwarded through all the available episodes in like an hour and a half. 80% of each episode is just replays and ridiculous filler. It also has the most annoying sound editing in anything I've ever heard. That awful super quick repetition of sound clips, like someone using a broken sample machine.

Some of the challenges are insane though. Definitely appeals to the Ninja Warrior crowd. Something best watched in highlight videos on YT and muted.

I watched some of Lockwood and Co. It's essentially Harry Potter meets Ghostbusters without the charm or humor. It's very British and strictly for a teen audience, definitely not for me.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
And I seriously doubt Ashley Johnson would have said no. Or Kaitlin Dever who was also considered AFAIK.
Um, Ashely Johnson is nearly 40... Still better looking than Bella Ramsey tho.

Reactions: jro

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Season 5 was weird. They split it in half, eight episodes came out in 2018 and eight came out in 2019, which by then the series was all out of gas and hype.

The ending, where you find out Oscar killed Lucille Austero, was just ugh. What a horrible way to end the series. I actually felt sad about it at the time because I knew this was it.

No one liked season 4 but I think I actually might like it? It has its moments and the framing of everyone's story coming together was cool I thought. Like everyone else, not a big fan of the drug addicted lady.

Wow I can't even remember season 5 aside from George Michael punching his dad.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Season 5 was weird. They split it in half, eight episodes came out in 2018 and eight came out in 2019, which by then the series was all out of gas and hype.

The ending, where you find out Oscar killed Lucille Austero, was just ugh. What a horrible way to end the series. I actually felt sad about it at the time because I knew this was it.

No one liked season 4 but I think I actually might like it? It has its moments and the framing of everyone's story coming together was cool I thought. Like everyone else, not a big fan of the drug addicted lady.

Wow I can't even remember season 5 aside from George Michael punching his dad.
I tried watching a couple more episodes this evening and I just can't bring myself to finish it. The whole season feels like the people writing it were like 20 when it originally aired and consider themselves fans but have no idea what they are doing. It feels like a smug, cheap imitation that fails on every level.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Um, Ashely Johnson is nearly 40... Still better looking than Bella Ramsey
Sitting here ready with a like for the first person to call me out on that. Avengers shawarma FL.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Physical 100 with a solid finale but a little let down by having to focus on 5 contestants. The show's style definitely does take some getting used to as noted above but the sheer craziness of the games and the refreshing Korean competitors (like it's notably weird when they swear) made it pretty fun to watch.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Finally started watching The Boys. Eh, great cast and it's pretty funny at times but the whole premise/gag just doesn't work that well for me.

Take everything that's awful with modern America (Corporations going unchecked, the military industrial complex, the alt right, religion, Fox News/media manipulation, social media, packaging and selling people as brands/products etc.) crank it all up to 11 and throw in the idea of what if superheroes were real and how all of those things would take advantage of that.

Clever enough but it has the problem that a lot of modern edgy shows have: everyone and everything they do is just awful. That wears thin really quickly when there is no real relatable character and instead of any sort of (even minor) resolution things just get infinitely worse. Capable actors in roles suited to them does not equal a good show when they are (mostly) all completely monstrous characters. It's well made but I don't find it enjoyable. We get enough of this awful shit in real life I don't want to watch horrible thing after horrible thing that people are helpless to do anything about as entertainment, satire or not.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Finally started watching The Boys. Eh, great cast and it's pretty funny at times but the whole premise/gag just doesn't work that well for me.

Take everything that's awful with modern America (Corporations going unchecked, the military industrial complex, the alt right, religion, Fox News/media manipulation, social media, packaging and selling people as brands/products etc.) crank it all up to 11 and throw in the idea of what if superheroes were real and how all of those things would take advantage of that.

Clever enough but it has the problem that a lot of modern edgy shows have: everyone and everything they do is just awful. That wears thin really quickly when there is no real relatable character and instead of any sort of (even minor) resolution things just get infinitely worse. Capable actors in roles suited to them does not equal a good show when they are (mostly) all completely monstrous characters. It's well made but I don't find it enjoyable. We get enough of this awful shit in real life I don't want to watch horrible thing after horrible thing that people are helpless to do anything about as entertainment, satire or not.
Yeah, it gets old super-fast. Nothing about the first season was bad, some of it was very good, but if you asked me at the time whether I liked it, I would have said, "...yeah...?" And I've never quite been able to get myself into the mood to watch season 2.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
S2 is okay, has an awesome fight at the end, but it’s a Nazis are behind the whole thing plot. I liked S3 more, though there are a few gags that are just so over the top grotesque i found it somewhat off putting.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Anyone watch the Consultant on Amazon? Not sure what to make of it. I was left with a meh feeling overall, I guess. Was it supernatural? Was what happened to the characters even that bad? If it was supposed to be about the characters being driven to what they were capable of I didn’t feel they hit the mark.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
S2 is okay, has an awesome fight at the end, but it’s a Nazis are behind the whole thing plot. I liked S3 more, though there are a few gags that are just so over the top grotesque i found it somewhat off putting.
Yeah the whole nazi thing was eye-rollingly lame but not as lame as the shit with Butcher's wife and the kid. Ugh.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah the whole nazi thing was eye-rollingly lame but not as lame as the shit with Butcher's wife and the kid. Ugh.

The situation with the kid is improved in season 3 and the ending with him at least seems a tad more interesting.

S3 also had some good fights between Homelander and the evil Captain America.

I do wonder if they actually have a story they want to tell or if they’re starting from scratch each time they get a season extension?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Finished season 3 of The Boys. Great casting for Soldier Boy, gotta love Dean from Supernatural. But ultimately more of the same, zero resolution. Just more cheap upping of the stakes.

The orgy was pretty funny though.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The situation with the kid is improved in season 3 and the ending with him at least seems a tad more interesting.

S3 also had some good fights between Homelander and the evil Captain America.

I do wonder if they actually have a story they want to tell or if they’re starting from scratch each time they get a season extension?
Since I haven't watched beyond season 1, I can't tell if the amazon series diverges from the story of the comic or by how much. But the comic was a finite thing that built to a definite end point. Maybe they're going off in their own direction now so they can stretch it out as long as it stays popular, but plan to bring it back in line with the comic for the ending.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
My feeling is they want to drag the show out but I realistically can’t see it being sustainable past a fifth season.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
My feeling is they want to drag the show out but I realistically can’t see it being sustainable past a fifth season.
To be fair, I didn't get far with the comic either, back when it came out. A couple issues in, I thought, okay, I get the joke, I'm good. I guess I made it farther with the tv show than the comic. I just have a vague idea of how it ended, by osmosis online.

I like Ennis when he writes non-superhero stuff. His war comics are fantastic. But he's clearly not into the superhero thing, and you can tell he forces himself to do some once in a while just for the paycheck. It's hard to be interested when the writer isn't really.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Last of Us:

The gay episode was better than the lesbian episode. It was a whole lot of nothing but I guess we got a bit of an origin story on Ellie. I never played the game. Fuck you.