BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Initial reaction: Little Fires Everywhere had an ending on par with Dexter's. Goddamnit that was terrible.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Finished Tales from the Loop...

It was a solid series, but often depressing.

Started watching The Last Dance...man, those were the days of NBA basketball. I so miss the MBA of the 90's and I don't just mean the Bulls.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
The Bulls were awesome, but don't think 90s NBA was a watchable product. I remember Pat Riley's Knicks basically hold the ball for 24 seconds for every possession and grind the game into a borefest. Games regularly ends in low 70s for both teams. Of course, the by-product of this is that rules were changed for offense and now we have 150pt games on a regular basis. The pendulum swings too far in the opposite direction, once again.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Finished Tales from the Loop...

It was a solid series, but often depressing.

Started watching The Last Dance...man, those were the days of NBA basketball. I so miss the MBA of the 90's and I don't just mean the Bulls.

There was more parity in the league. Off the top of my head, you had Thomas, Dumar, Laimbeer, and Rodman in Detroit, Ewing, Oakley, and Starks in NY, McHale, Parrish, Bird in Boston, Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning in Charlotte, John Stockton and Karl Monroe in Utah, David Robinson in San Antonio, and Shaq, Barkley, Olaijawon, Clyde Drexler, Shawn Kemp. I think the 90s were the last time I cared deeply about the NBA. Maybe because I was a kid. Maybe because Lebron and Kobe hadn't raped it yet. Strong words, right? But something was happening in the early 2000s, where the NBA was trying to make itself into something it didn't need to be, with words thrown around like "dynasty" and "king James." MJ was referred to as "his airness" and it was cute, but the NBA went out of its way to create weird classist imagery after that.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The Bulls were awesome, but don't think 90s NBA was a watchable product. I remember Pat Riley's Knicks basically hold the ball for 24 seconds for every possession and grind the game into a borefest. Games regularly ends in low 70s for both teams. Of course, the by-product of this is that rules were changed for offense and now we have 150pt games on a regular basis. The pendulum swings too far in the opposite direction, once again.

I don't know if I agree. Changes to the physicality of the game, changes in pay (I think that was a HUGE one...Jordan made 8 million salary over 3 championship seasons 1990-1993), changes in the mentality of the players...

Jordan, the best player in the league, made $4m over the 1992/93 season. That's $7.2m adjusted for inflation. You'd have to go to position #170 in the 2019 NBA player salary chart to match that.

I don't know man...I found many teams, including the Knicks, enjoyable to watch from the late 80's through the late 90's. I've tried to watch post 2000 NBA...and it's just not the same.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
8os-90s basketball was the golden years of the NBA...Got to witness at least half of the top 50 Greatest players of all time.

I haven't watched a full nba game since 2009.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
There was more parity in the league. Off the top of my head, you had Thomas, Dumar, Laimbeer, and Rodman in Detroit, Ewing, Oakley, and Starks in NY, McHale, Parrish, Bird in Boston, Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning in Charlotte, John Stockton and Karl Monroe in Utah, David Robinson in San Antonio, and Shaq, Barkley, Olaijawon, Clyde Drexler, Shawn Kemp. I think the 90s were the last time I cared deeply about the NBA. Maybe because I was a kid. Maybe because Lebron and Kobe hadn't raped it yet. Strong words, right? But something was happening in the early 2000s, where the NBA was trying to make itself into something it didn't need to be, with words thrown around like "dynasty" and "king James." MJ was referred to as "his airness" and it was cute, but the NBA went out of its way to create weird classist imagery after that.

Couldn't agree more. I was more of a casual fan though. Is this the consensus of most fans that stuck with it into the 2000s and beyond?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Couldn't agree more. I was more of a casual fan though. Is this the consensus of most fans that stuck with it into the 2000s and beyond?

I'd say it was pretty cool with a decent amount of parity until Golden State went on its run over the past eight years or whatever. Salary cap spike plus favorable CBA allowed a team that won 73 games to sign the second-best player in the game, and rooting against GS became the only reason to watch.

Was cool seeing the Cavs and Raps beat their asses and then seeing the repeater tax do its job and gut the team to shit.

Least parity, statistically, of all the major US sports IIRC, but it's been better than it could have been and was shaping up to be a really interesting season before the stoppage. Three top-tier teams and maybe a half-dozen more that could be darkhorses.

Edit: hey, Jenna's back, maybe. Ask and ye shall and all that.

Last edited:
Initial reaction: Little Fires Everywhere had an ending on par with Dexter's. Goddamnit that was terrible.
Yes it was rubbish and made no sense at all. I found some of the identity politics stuff pretty grating as well but then maybe that's because I'm not American.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Hey Westworld, watch out for that shark, make sure you've got some good air there.

Edit : hey, Succession cast gettin` good raises, well deserved for the best show on tv.

EDIT: HEY!!!

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Just finished the final episode of The Clone Wars. I'm glad they brought it back, because season 7 was the best season of the show.

I'll go as far as to say that the last season of Clone Wars is the best Star Wars show or movie since Empire Strikes Back.

It's a shame they botched the new trilogy so hard. Clone Wars was great, Rebels was pretty decent, Solo was good, Rogue One was great, the Mandalorian first season was really good. But I really don't have any desire to watch the sequel trilogy again anytime soon. Might check out the Resistance cartoon but I hear it's not as good as Rebels, much less Clone Wars.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Christ the new Penny Dreadful series is unwatchable. Shame, the first was excellent.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Westworld ended fine. Gave some stuff to imagine on your own.

Homeland was the best finale for a series since Breaking Bad. It didn't have the action, but it was so satisfying. HBO should take note and learn.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Westworld ended fine. Gave some stuff to imagine on your own.

Homeland was the best finale for a series since Breaking Bad. It didn't have the action, but it was so satisfying. HBO should take note and learn.
Haven't watched the WW finale yet but do you know if they ended it or is there gonna be a Season 4?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Haven't watched the WW finale yet but do you know if they ended it or is there gonna be a Season 4?

I guess they can continue, and god knows HBO needs it. Their only other watchable show is Barry. But if they end the series on this it would be good.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

They officially announced a season 4 about 2 weeks ago. I felt season 3 started out weak but ended strong. Now we have to wait until 2022 for the next season.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Death in Paradise. Finally a show that takes whodunit seriously and doesn't water it down with moronic drama or exaggerated plots. The latter are cooked up for DiP hitting all the familiar story points you'd expect and though they offer no surprises either in their characters or in the work they do, the makers of this series, including the cast, are talented enough to transcend familiar material into something thoroughly gripping.

The production values are also top notch: You'll always spot new locations, new denizens, it's always about carefully chosen external shots and beautiful, yet authentic views. Doors and windows are mostly open to let heat and moisture inside spaces, making them alive and giving you the feeling to be one of the residents on the island, where it all takes place.

If you got tired of boring studio settings, imposed darkness to fake profundity and cheap satire posing as an excuse for numb characters, then Death in Paradise will be a welcome antidote to all that stale streaming crap.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Death in Paradise. Finally a show that takes whodunit seriously and doesn't water it down with moronic drama or exaggerated plots. The latter are cooked up for DiP hitting all the familiar story points you'd expect and though they offer no surprises either in their characters or in the work they do, the makers of this series, including the cast, are talented enough to transcend familiar material into something thoroughly gripping.

The production values are also top notch: You'll always spot new locations, new denizens, it's always about carefully chosen external shots and beautiful, yet authentic views. Doors and windows are mostly open to let heat and moisture inside spaces, making them alive and giving you the feeling to be one of the residents on the island, where it all takes place.

If you got tired of boring studio settings, imposed darkness to fake profundity and cheap satire posing as an excuse for numb characters, then Death in Paradise will be a welcome antidote to all that stale streaming crap.

This is one of my family’s all time favorite shows! Like Dr. Who, the lead DI role has rotated to a few different actors.

Each ‘era’ of the show is superb-top notch writing, acting...and SO beautifully shot.

The music they’ve managed to get cleared for this show is amazing to hear on TV, much less a PBS/BBC show.

It’s like going to a good movie, every week.

Dwayne & PJ crack me up. ^_^

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Upload
Binged half of it. It is essentially a black mirror episode turned into a series. It adds a good level of humor to a serious topic, death. Plot is predictable, but still engaging. I'd recommend it.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Dwayne & PJ crack me up. ^_^

Haha, yeah! The show where DS Cassel's off duty and Dwayne takes over Miami Vice style, or the one where he tries to play hard to get. My favorite DI's so far are Poole & Mooney, Goodman was ok, but a bit weird with his affection for Camille. Anyway, you're absolutely right: the music is awesome! The whole concept of DiP reminds me of The Mighty Quinn, except for missing Denzel ;).

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Been taking in The Last Kingdom on Netflix because I love period costume dramas and the Bernard Cornwell's novel series it's based on. First season was all right, didn't trip over the furniture, and really took off in the second season.

It's more focused than Vikings because all of its drama centers on Alfred's efforts to unify England and not the feuding of a family that can barely stand itself. I have really come to enjoy Vikings from S03 but The Last Kingdom is more accessible. Partly because the source is written by a really great author of historical fiction.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Haha, yeah! The show where DS Cassel's off duty and Dwayne takes over Miami Vice style, or the one where he tries to play hard to get. My favorite DI's so far are Poole & Mooney, Goodman was ok, but a bit weird with his affection for Camille. Anyway, you're absolutely right: the music is awesome! The whole concept of DiP reminds me of The Mighty Quinn, except for missing Denzel ;).

I’d buy you a drink at Catherine’s, man.

Sint Marie is Guadeloupe irl. We could break bread, heh.

I’m not totally caught up on season’s...I’d read that Dwayne left the show (!).

Good luck filling his shoes.

Mooney is a favorite of mine, as well. Would love to have that shack on the beach...lizard and all!

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Westworld's in a more interesting place than it has been in a while, and it's kind of striking to me just how little it resembles the show in say, season 1. I'm glad they finally (FINALLY) appear to have put a certain bad main character out to pasture for the last time. Really hoping that HBO can avoid pulling another GoT with however they end WW, and I'm not overly optimistic that they won't.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Westworld's in a more interesting place than it has been in a while, and it's kind of striking to me just how little it resembles the show in say, season 1. I'm glad they finally (FINALLY) appear to have put a certain bad main character out to pasture for the last time. Really hoping that HBO can avoid pulling another GoT with however they end WW, and I'm not overly optimistic that they won't.

I'm actually hoping they end it in season 4 because it takes a while to produce episodes and by the time it's all said and done the actors' will have to be CGI manipulated to look young again.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I watched the first episode of Solar Opposites today. It's Justin Roiland's new show, and it was fairly hilarious. Anyone else catch it? The first season is entirely available to stream on Hulu.

The art is exactly the same as Rick and Morty, and could easily be a sideshow that exist in the same universe.