BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Hacks- A brash, Bette Midleresque Vegas staple comediane whose career is on the decline takes on a young woman as a writing assistant to come up with more relevant material. The young woman is a super opinionated, overly PC 20 something bisexual whose career is based on twitter and instagram meta comedy.

It's basically the odd couple with an age difference, massive generational gap and females. Which sounds absolutely horrible but it works, it also reminded me just how much of a hell hole Las Vegas is.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Brooklyn 99. I like this show a lot. Too easy to watch. Almost completely unobjectionable. From the same guy who made Parks and Rec and The Good Place. Man, that guy gets me.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Malice at the Palace- Don't give two shits about sports but this was interesting. To think any professional athlete could jeopardize their career over some straight up ignorant shit like what happened is hilarious. Sports fans are just as bad as the players and that's saying a lot. Ron Artest or whatever made up bullshit he wants to call himself is legitimately crazy and is damn lucky he can play basketball and is rich otherwise he'd be in jail. They keep bringing up the thug labeling thing but it's true, these dudes are super rich, ignorant giants with almost no impulse control.

Cocaine Cowboys (Netflix series) I don't really enjoy watching things about real horrible people like this and I thought the other movies(?) before this were more entertaining mainly because this was stretched pretty thing and most the people they interviewed were pieces of shit. However I did manage to watch all of this and laughed when the main guy got fucked in the end. Also they got rid of Jan Hammer who did the previous entries for the score and it has a horrible opening song by Pitbull.

Shiny Flakes- German teenager starts an online drug emporium except it's not on the dark net, it's just a regular webstore based out of his bedroom and runs it for a couple years before he's finally caught. He's arrested, given some pussy european sentence after getting caught with 2000 kilos of every drug known to man. Then apparently shortly after getting out of jail he immediately does it again. It'ss pretty crazy that he got away with it for so long and did it all by himself at that level of sales. But again this guy is a piece of shit, smug little fucker.

Three documentaries about shitty people all kind of recommended... I guess.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I can’t bring myself to watch much on Netflix.
Hard pass on anything drug, crime, or their neural linguistic homosexual hypno-programming.

pretty much only watch The IT Crowd.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I quite enjoyed The White Lotus. Toed the fine line between cringe and compelling pretty much perfectly, binged it all in two sittings, which is definitely not my norm. Seriously I would NOT have guessed Steve Zahn had that performance in him.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The Walking Dead final season starts back today. I’ve persisted through the highs and the lows during the last ten years of the show and am really looking for to seeing how they lay it to rest. Hoping Rick makes a final appearance.

Oh, it started a week ago... *sigh*

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I quite enjoyed The White Lotus. Toed the fine line between cringe and compelling pretty much perfectly, binged it all in two sittings, which is definitely not my norm. Seriously I would NOT have guessed Steve Zahn had that performance in him.
Started this last night and have really enjoyed the first 2 episodes. It's pretty hard to describe to someone as a recommendation because it's so odd and the marketing reflects that. I had no idea what it was going to be about just that it was about a bunch of people at a luxury hotel in the pacific. Wasn't sure if it was a dark comedy or just a quirky drama and it's both but also a bit more than that.

If you look up the creator he's mostly made forgettable junk like School of Rock and Nacho Libre and this is in no way like that shit.

The show sucks you into it's bizarre little world very quickly.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
The Walking Dead final season starts back today. I’ve persisted through the highs and the lows during the last ten years of the show and am really looking for to seeing how they lay it to rest. Hoping Rick makes a final appearance.

Oh, it started a week ago... *sigh*
After they killed CORAL, the show became pointless.

My wife looked at me and asked me what we were going to be watching on Sundays, since it wasnt going to be TWD anymore.

It lived long enough to become the villain.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Really glad to hear they killed Coral. Hated that character. He’s the poster child for why I hate children in dramas. The exceptions being Arya and Bran, who were better as kids than adults.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Really glad to hear they killed Coral. Hated that character. He’s the poster child for why I hate children in dramas. The exceptions being Arya and Bran, who were better as kids than adults.
The problem with killing Coral was that the TV show was too strongly built on the blueprint of the comic book.

Adding shit tier characters like Daryl, TV versions of Morgan and Carol and all the rest isn't enough. Anyone being honest can tell that the TV series is pleather. Even if you've never worn real leather, you know when something is a faint echo of something that exists but which has already gone wrong.

It's like drawing up a blueprint for a house that calls for a stone foundation, distinct masonry and unique materials and then using that blueprint for prefab horseshit. Sure, it's a 'house', but it's a sham of what it was supposed to be.

This is why I have no beef with the Resident Evil movies. They are a shameless cash grab but they're kind of their own thing. They're stupid but they're fun and unapologetically unique.

If they were always going to deviate, they should have just started with Fear the Walking Dead.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I agree with you on Fear the Walking Dead. It debuted during the heyday of TWD and is an obvious cash grab with a thoroughly unlikable cast of characters that feel like the kinds of guest spots that get killed off on 'the main show'.

My main issue with them killing Coral isn't that I liked TV Coral or anything.

But he is the key material in the blueprint.

It's like Jon Snow and Ghost.

I know why they diminished Ghost. It made Jon more mysterious and enigmatic to have Ghost. Albino wolves are cooler than dragons. Deep down, we all feel it.

But the TV series felt the need to overcompensate by swerving you with Danaerys as a false hope. Jon had to be subtle and vulnerable, which he already was in the books 'as is'.

Dany is 'the character with awesome monster sidekicks' as far as dumbass & dickcheese are concerned. Uncreative fucks.

Jon is a total badass in the books and didn't have to say 'cunt' all the time or get in some faggor fire pit battle at the end which meant nothing and acknowledged a worthless social media reaction that will be forgotten Immediately after it happens.

So bye bye Ghost. Only...you knew something was off. You didn't have to read the books to sense this.

You didn't have to read the books to know Arya was a shit tier, low effort virtue signal feminist wank in the last season. Same with Sansa.

Pleather.

I AM intrigued by how Bran might have been handled had Isaac Hempstead simply not aged.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
We all know how GRRM treated characters in the first books - no favoritism, if you can die, you probably will die. It can be dangerous to be alive and a legal sword bearer in Westeros.

So if GRRM was consistent and writing the show, Arya would have died in canal of Braavos. Jon would have died in the battle of the bastards (I don’t think this happened yet in the books). Tyrion would be in the slave city farming hogs and fucking his imp wife.

So much went wrong when a profit seeking company puts their own show runners in charge of an artists vision. I mean, as a writer, can you imagine, your boss saying “hey Taiso, this character is great, but let’s replace his broadsword with a katana, and the president of the studio really loves the little girl character, so uh, you need to make her the main now.”

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I agree with you on Fear the Walking Dead. It debuted during the heyday of TWD and is an obvious cash grab with a thoroughly unlikable cast of characters that feel like the kinds of guest spots that get killed off on 'the main show'.
There was absolutely no reason why the junkie son had to walk around for months in hilariously bad clothes. Just fucking stupid. It reminded me of the 2nd or 3rd season of Prison Break where the prison guard-turned-inmate Bellick inexplicably ran around in dirty underwear for episodes on end, like we needed something to underline his fall from grace. Laugh out loud bad.

Prison-break-season-3-preview-13.jpg

Started watching Designated Survivor, up to episode 7. The first episode was half decent, interesting premise. Extremely quickly became a shit tier political drama and military circle jerk cheese fest. Will drop after I finish the season.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
GRRM MIGHT have killed Arya or Jon at either of those moments but I don't believe that only because the idea that 'anyone can die' is an illusion he intentionally perpetuates in order to keep the stakes high. There are a ton of characters he can execute through literary attrition to do this. There are bigger plans for both of them, as well as all of the Stark kids.

As for an artist's vision being compromised by corporate greed, it's a tale as old as adaptation. If I'm accurately reading between the lines, and I always believe I am, Martin's relationship with dipshit & dickhead changed at some point. I have every belief that it all started with the best of intentions. I'd even be willing to believe that D&D WANTED to stay more faithful to the source and its creator's intentions but the studio was pushing corporate work trash on it so suddenly, they had to pick a side in the battle between creative endeavor and corporate messaging.

And so it became 'too expensive' to CGI a wolf into scenes with Jon.

Such a limp dick excuse it is to laugh. That is code for 'Jon is such a natural lead, effortlessly the only real hero in this story, that we can't make people like Dany more so we need to tear him down.'

Martin being 'too busy to work on the show' is code for 'they're not listening to my ideas or respecting my criticisms of their adaptation anymore but I still want to make money and I don't want to tarnish my own legacy because I can't fight the corporate machine and their propaganda wing, the Hollywood rags.'

Think they wouldn't try to take ownership of his ideas and jettison him at the same time? Think again. Corporations have been doing it with IP for decades.

HBO is just another company packaging intellectual theft and selling it to you as the virtuous adaptation you never knew you wanted.

More's the truth to say it's the virtuous flex we knew we never wanted.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I will say this. I was moonlighting one day, and person working there saw my ASOIAF book and invited me to a bar to watch one of the episodes of the last season. I declined.

That bar is closed and that person is gone. I regret not going. At the time, I did NOT want to be watching the show at a freaking bar.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
The whole 'bar reaction' thing on social media is such a corporate construct.

It's marketing. Whether or not HBO had a hand in the insufferable Burlington Bar Bullshit or not, the last people you want to be writing fantasy stories for are drunk normies.

They are welcome to partake. They are welcome to watch. But the second they are the ones you are trying to please, the only thing left to do is cash in on their dumb asses. Unfortunately, that comes at the expense of effort. There is no longer a need to actually earn the dollars of the faithful. Normies are whales, and your hooks are in deep at that point.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
GRRM MIGHT have killed Arya or Jon at either of those moments but I don't believe that only because the idea that 'anyone can die' is an illusion he intentionally perpetuates in order to keep the stakes high. There are a ton of characters he can execute through literary attrition to do this. There are bigger plans for both of them, as well as all of the Stark kids.

As for an artist's vision being compromised by corporate greed, it's a tale as old as adaptation. If I'm accurately reading between the lines, and I always believe I am, Martin's relationship with dipshit & dickhead changed at some point. I have every belief that it all started with the best of intentions. I'd even be willing to believe that D&D WANTED to stay more faithful to the source and its creator's intentions but the studio was pushing corporate work trash on it so suddenly, they had to pick a side in the battle between creative endeavor and corporate messaging.

And so it became 'too expensive' to CGI a wolf into scenes with Jon.

Such a limp dick excuse it is to laugh. That is code for 'Jon is such a natural lead, effortlessly the only real hero in this story, that we can't make people like Dany more so we need to tear him down.'

Martin being 'too busy to work on the show' is code for 'they're not listening to my ideas or respecting my criticisms of their adaptation anymore but I still want to make money and I don't want to tarnish my own legacy because I can't fight the corporate machine and their propaganda wing, the Hollywood rags.'

Think they wouldn't try to take ownership of his ideas and jettison him at the same time? Think again. Corporations have been doing it with IP for decades.

HBO is just another company packaging intellectual theft and selling it to you as the virtuous adaptation you never knew you wanted.

More's the truth to say it's the virtuous flex we knew we never wanted.

Your comment about the relation with Dumb&Dumber made me wonder

What if HBO was feeding GRRM tinder profiles to chat him up and opiate him, make him psychologically vulnerable to the pressures from the studio to dictate the story, his story?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
You know, the more I've been turning the whole GoT debacle, the more I'm starting to see D&D as middle management. When shit goes south, you need a fall guy.

Can't make it Martin. He's the idea guy. Burn bridges with him and he'll write for a competitor.

And as long as the insufferable fake moral corporate messaging is forced in there, it doesn't matter.

It's frogger, hopping from lily pad to lily pad and avoiding beavers and alligators and cars along the way. Every once in a while it gets to fuck another frog (Burlington Bar normies) and keep its unholy mimic of a brood alive for future shit tier shows

Socially engineer the product so that the audience is ready to pay for it and carry on.

And D&D are discarded, addicted to their own fleeting fame and afraid to torpedo their future in this sick cycle of corporate venture capital

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Baskets- Zach Galifinakis play a guy who dreams of being a traditional French clown so he goes to Paris and enrolls in a fancy clown college but he's terrible and doesn't speak any French so he has to move back home with his Mother in Bakersfield. His mother is played by Louie Anderson. Louis CK is a producer and it has his vibe all over it along with Zack's and some Tim and Eric stuff as well. 4 episodes in and it's pretty good, not hilarious but amazingly awkward and definitely unique.