BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Trying to watch White Lotus, it has a lot of cringe humor. I hate most of the characters. Feels very LA jewish, you know wealthy, but with a heavy dose of kitsch. The food was ... ok.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Lupin the 3rd: Part 1 is on Pluto TV, w/ Japanese voice acting, and English subs.

This is Green-Jacketed/Sergio Argones style art direction meets ‘Once a Thief’ fun and excitement. The soundtrack is ace as well (ok, the opening theme not so much-lol).

Highly recommended.

This is the first run, not the stuff from Adult Swim.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Trying to watch White Lotus, it has a lot of cringe humor. I hate most of the characters. Feels very LA jewish, you know wealthy, but with a heavy dose of kitsch. The food was ... ok.
I was surprised by how much I liked it, still not exactly sure why. All of the main characters are horrible.

Dave- Delusional jewish guy become a joke Trap rapper. I hate modern mainstream rap so much it's depressing. This is like Curb Your Enthusiasim for jewish hipsters born in the 90s.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Lupin the 3rd: Part 1 is on Pluto TV, w/ Japanese voice acting, and English subs.

This is Green-Jacketed/Sergio Argones style art direction meets ‘Once a Thief’ fun and excitement. The soundtrack is ace as well (ok, the opening theme not so much-lol).

Highly recommended.

This is the first run, not the stuff from Adult Swim.
It's the only good Lupin tv show ever made. A few episodes are adapted from the original comic. The writing is good and dense. There's more substance in the first 5 minutes of any episode in this series than in any entire episode of the garbage series that followed (as seen on Adult Swim).

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
9 Perfect Strangers
On Hulu. Great cast.
Samara Weaving
Nicole Kidman
Luke Evans
Michael Shannon
Bobby Cannavale
Melissa McCarthy
And Jason Mendoza from The Good Place

Nicole Kidman is running a very expensive and elite retreat, but drugging patients with shrooms without consent.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Letterkenny- I don't even know what this is. Some serious Canadian shit. Kind of like Trailer park Boys but set in a rural area where everyone farms or sells meth. Also everyone talks like they have autism and tourettes.

Edit: A few episodes in and this is pretty funny.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Letterkenny gets insane.

The priest guy gets crazier and crazier as the series goes on. Great show.

"Take it down about 20 percent, there, buhd"

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Clickbait was completely absurd, layered on red herrings to a level I don't remember seeing before, and somehow still managed to keep me watching and not TOO annoyed to the end. Tepid recommendation if you don't mind completely ridiculous soap opera nonsense starring Adrian Grenier and both Sia's and Jason Clarke's doppelgangers.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
So I finished Letterkenny and I've gotta say I'm surprised it's not more popular. I mean the format and dialog are pretty jarring at first so I can understand that being a bit of a turnoff and it doesn't really change much over the 5 season unlike It's Always Sunny or TPB. Plus it is super Canadian, like to the point of absurdity. I guess it does well enough as there's a spin off animated series. Still I just never hear anyone mention it.

I will say though that for such a small rural town there certainly seems to be a lot of good looking chicks.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I thought I'd purged all of my dvd's but found out that I still have Brideshead Revisited (and The Addiction and Dior and I but those don't count), so I started watching that. Still great, Laurence Olivier in top form.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
So I finished Letterkenny and I've gotta say I'm surprised it's not more popular. I mean the format and dialog are pretty jarring at first so I can understand that being a bit of a turnoff and it doesn't really change much over the 5 season unlike It's Always Sunny or TPB. Plus it is super Canadian, like to the point of absurdity. I guess it does well enough as there's a spin off animated series. Still I just never hear anyone mention it.

I will say though that for such a small rural town there certainly seems to be a lot of good looking chicks.
Started watching and still haven’t figured out how this hot chick is just riding a pickup around with two hicks, or threatening to take away hand jobs from two hockey players in a wrangler.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah, the sister is hot, Bonnie McMurray is hot, all the hockey sluts are hot, the trashy indian chick is hot and even the druggie chick is hot.

Buncha hot chicks just hanging out with autistic Canadian rednecks.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Colin x Lasslo spinoff, I'm there. WWDitS picking up right where it left off as the best show on tv.

Kristen Schall has been great so far, I hope she's a regular going forward.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
doesn't really change much over the 5 season unlike It's Always Sunny or TPB.
And that's a good thing....? You really consider these to be dynamic television shows? I can't make it through one season of either of them, it's the same fucking stupid shit over and over. TPB makes me groan in boredom to even think about. I will be skipping 5 seasons of Letterkenny.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Dynamic? No. But those shows evolved over the first few seasons and then just rode on that formula forever. Letterkenny is exactly the same from episode 1, also the seasons are only like 6 episodes each so it's not really like those at all. I just used those as examples because they are also about groups of strange lower class people that get into bizarre situations. There's not really anything else I can think of to compare it to.

Maybe some elements of Strange Brew/The McKenzie Bros. and The Red Green Show but that's just because those are super Canadian comedies. Again it's hard to describe the show or draw any direct comparisons.

Sounds like you put on your Judgey McJudgerson pants about my opinion on a show you've never seen and now have no intention of ever watching.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
And that's a good thing....? You really consider these to be dynamic television shows? I can't make it through one season of either of them, it's the same fucking stupid shit over and over. TPB makes me groan in boredom to even think about. I will be skipping 5 seasons of Letterkenny.
Same

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
THAT IS CLEARLY THE SCROTUM OF A MUCH OLDER MAN is Emmy bait if I've ever seen it.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Nine Perfect Strangers was dumb fun right up until the end, when it jumped about 8 sharks while wearing a rhinestone-encrusted recreation of Fonzie's jacket.

Seriously, mind-blowingly bad ending. Really great cast, intriguing premise, then, that. I haven't read the book, but apparently its ending is very similar.

Also, I agree with the various critics that compared it (unfavorably) to The White Lotus, but I thought it also gave off some Devs vibes. Much, much stupider vibes, but the actual premise ends up having some striking similarities IMO.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
Y The Last Man: I am in love with this. It reminds me of a hot garbage dumpster fire rolling down the street at 100 miles an hour. I seem to be drawn back to it every episode being better than the last. If you are into apocalyptic shows you will like it. It has issues but it’s better than a lot of things currently available imo.

What we do in the shadows: This is literally the office with vampires and a large amount of satirical comedy. If you liked the office then you will like this. It’s literally what’s been missing on my list of things to watch for a long time. The 3rd season seems to have a very large budget and seems to be going in directions I never would have thought of.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
9 Perfect Strangers
On Hulu. Great cast.
Samara Weaving
Nicole Kidman
Luke Evans
Michael Shannon
Bobby Cannavale
Melissa McCarthy
And Jason Mendoza from The Good Place

Nicole Kidman is running a very expensive and elite retreat, but drugging patients with shrooms without consent.
Finale was good. Better than The Undoing. Michael Shannon should get a nomination for an award. He crushed it.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Finale was good. Better than The Undoing. Michael Shannon should get a nomination for an award. He crushed it.
Well yeah, no doubt, The Undoing was... not good.

I can't help but think that how some actresses have a no-nudity clause in their contracts, Nicole Kidman has a YES nudity clause in anything she bothers to be in.

She's like yes I've had 19 different plastic surgeries but I'm 54 and still look hot as fuck so yeah.

Agreed on Michael Shannon, he alone kept the series somewhat grounded, minor assist to Melissa McCarthy and Samara Weaving (she's never not good).

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Started watching Nine Perfect Strangers tonight, before reading the last couple posts here.

Three episodes in and I don't think I like it. It feels like a shitty book that women read on vacation, rave about and then immediately forget. Seems very much in the fad of psychedelics as acceptable therapy, which I find a very funny trend. Also if Nicole Kidman isn't a witch or demon I'm gonna be pissed. That Black Pete stuff seems a little obvious so maybe thats just a little thing to throw you off the more obvious and complacent ending.

And yes Michael Shannon is crushing the role.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Mare of Easttown - dark and dreary even for an HBO crime show but both the central whodunit and the characters are engaging so far.
I finally finished this about a week ago. I live in the real town/area where this fictionalized town is supposed to take place in Delaware County (Kate Winslet lived in a trailer at the studios near where I live for a year, they’ve filmed a bunch of movies here especially a lot of the M. Night movies and the Creed movies)

It was cool to pick up on all of the references Riddle Hospital (where they take the brother is my local hospital) and Cocos for Cheesesteaks and LaSpadas for hoagies that she discusses with Guy Pierce at the bar are my local sandwich shops (cocos is Coccos Pizza so I get pizza from there more and actually get cheesesteaks from LaSpadas).

Anyway I was thrown for a loop at the end didn’t expect that.

She got a lot of praise for her Delco accent and me and everyone I know sound nothing like that, that kind of bugged me the whole time though, they also pronounced words like creek and water different than most people do here. It was kind of dreary for sure but I enjoyed it.

Last edited: