BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Did anybody watch Foundation? I don't have Apple TV+ or whatever. Might give it a download but these reviews aren't super encouraging

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Started watching Nine Perfect Strangers tonight, before reading the last couple posts here.

Three episodes in and I don't think I like it. It feels like a shitty book that women read on vacation, rave about and then immediately forget. Seems very much in the fad of psychedelics as acceptable therapy, which I find a very funny trend. Also if Nicole Kidman isn't a witch or demon I'm gonna be pissed. That Black Pete stuff seems a little obvious so maybe thats just a little thing to throw you off the more obvious and complacent ending.

And yes Michael Shannon is crushing the role.
Black Phillip

Black Pete is Santa’s helper.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I finally finished this about a week ago. I live in the real town/area where this fictionalized town is supposed to take place in Delaware County (Kate Winslet lived in a trailer at the studios near where I live for a year, they’ve filmed a bunch of movies here especially a lot of the M. Night movies and the Creed movies)

It was cool to pick up on all of the references Riddle Hospital (where they take the brother is my local hospital) and Cocos for Cheesesteaks and LaSpadas for hoagies that she discusses with Guy Pierce at the bar are my local sandwich shops (cocos is Coccos Pizza so I get pizza from there more and actually get cheesesteaks from LaSpadas).

Anyway I was thrown for a loop at the end didn’t expect that.

She got a lot of praise for her Delco accent and me and everyone I know sound nothing like that, that kind of bugged me the whole time though, they also pronounced words like creek and water different than most people do here. It was kind of dreary for sure but I enjoyed it.
I got the idea she was supposed to be from western PA.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
It's not a show or series in the sense of this thread but '8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown' is a great show. It's a UK show so you guys probably won't get it over there but it's hilarious from start to finish. Give it a go if you want a laugh.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
The only PA accent I know is VT, and I think he sounds like me.
That’s why I think the accents are strange on the show. I will say people around me say wooder more than water (funny enough I say water and my parents would “correct” me and say it’s wooder when I was younger) and creek is often pronounced crick.

I work in South Philly and there definitely are pronunciations and accents different than mine but I think that comes from the Italian influence. Delco is kind of strange in the sense of we have the main line Villanova and Chadds Ford which are very expensive and places like Chester and Darby that are very poor. I grew up in the middle probably a little more upper middle in all honesty that I’m thankful for.

I don’t think I sound different but I asked Jonny Maximum from Ohio last time he was here if I had an accent and he said yes but it’s understated. In the SNL video you posted the girl being interrogated to me has the most elaborately done
Delco accent.

I thought Silver Linings playbook captured Delco in a more positive light.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Did anybody watch Foundation? I don't have Apple TV+ or whatever. Might give it a download but these reviews aren't super encouraging
I thought it looked good I want to give it a chance. I bought a new phone this year so I got Apple TV for free for a year, I really like Ted Lasso, I’d pay for it just when that is on.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
I’ll be watching it tonight or tomorrow. I haven’t read the book so it’s a blank slate for me.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Nine Perfect Strangers ending was pandering, chick flick, book club junk at it's worst. All the writer did was add in a dash of psychedelia as an edgey and convenient way to wrap it all up in a dumb little bow.

I'm telling you guys Nicole Kidman should have been a demon who was feeding on the pain and vitality of her guests to prolong her stay on earth after escaping the pits of hell.

Or they could have at least had the ending shown just be the new book that Melissa McCarthy had written afterwards juxtaposed with the actual fallout of the entire mess.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Riget is something I re-visit every few years:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Nine Perfect Strangers ending was pandering, chick flick, book club junk at it's worst. All the writer did was add in a dash of psychedelia as an edgey and convenient way to wrap it all up in a dumb little bow.

I'm telling you guys Nicole Kidman should have been a demon who was feeding on the pain and vitality of her guests to prolong her stay on earth after escaping the pits of hell.

Or they could have at least had the ending shown just be the new book that Melissa McCarthy had written afterwards juxtaposed with the actual fallout of the entire mess.
Idk. I kept going back to Banana Lambo and Samara Weaving’s new careers at the end and it totally makes sense. I mean what is a more perfect role for two vapid people, than to offer useless escape for rich people?

also I complained a lot about how we know little about Banana Lambo period. He was wallpaper, a spiritless tulpa dildo that had hot tub sex, a chauffeur giving Samara rides.
The show wasn’t amazing, but I set aside all the warts for Michael Shannon and Bobby Cannavale.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Idk. I kept going back to Banana Lambo and Samara Weaving’s new careers at the end and it totally makes sense. I mean what is a more perfect role for two vapid people, than to offer useless escape for rich people?

also I complained a lot about how we know little about Banana Lambo period. He was wallpaper, a spiritless tulpa dildo that had hot tub sex, a chauffeur giving Samara rides.
The show wasn’t amazing, but I set aside all the warts for Michael Shannon and Bobby Cannavale.
Oh yeah, it fits that Lambo and Insta girl would be doing it since their lives were so meaningless.

Still everything was just so eye rollingly convenient. I can envision the writer story boarding everything out with a big stupid grin about how clever they thought they were.

It really was elevated by the casting though, without that foundation the whole thing would have been laughable.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Forgot I had a year of Apple TV, was gonna check out Foundation but started watching Ted Lasso instead. It's pretty great, it honestly has nothing that would normally appeal to me but there's just something about it that can make you smile.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Forgot I had a year of Apple TV, was gonna check out Foundation but started watching Ted Lasso instead. It's pretty great, it honestly has nothing that would normally appeal to me but there's just something about it that can make you smile.
It’s totally unobjectionable.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I honestly can't think of a more friction-less (not a word, I know) enjoyable 23 minutes a week than new episodes of What We Do In The Shadows. More writers should aspire to just make fun shows.

The Baron riding around on the Golden Retriever that turns out is actually a hellhound, just seriously, nothing better.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I honestly can't think of a more friction-less (not a word, I know) enjoyable 23 minutes a week than new episodes of What We Do In The Shadows. More writers should aspire to just make fun shows.
Agreed. Gizmo has become one of my favorite TV characters of all time.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Doom Patrol continues to be head and shoulders above the other comic book television shows right now. The first four episodes of season 3 are up on HBO Max. They had to wrap up last season because COVID shut them down halfway through shooting their season 2 finale but they managed to transition into this one pretty well.

Brendan Fraser is still the standout as the voice of Robotman.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Doom Patrol continues to be head and shoulders above the other comic book television shows right now. The first four episodes of season 3 are up on HBO Max. They had to wrap up last season because COVID shut them down halfway through shooting their season 2 finale but they managed to transition into this one pretty well.

Brendan Fraser is still the standout as the voice of Robotman.
The show was interesting at first, as I'm basically an Alan Tudyk nut, but I think we stopped watching when Dalton got his monkey daughter back and she was manifesting that candle guy.

We just never went back to it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Alan Tudyk was the best part of the show. It’s been in a death spiral since he left.

but I don’t think he’s completely gone.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The show was interesting at first, as I'm basically an Alan Tudyk nut, but I think we stopped watching when Dalton got his monkey daughter back and she was manifesting that candle guy.

We just never went back to it.
They wrapped up the Dorothy storyline and sent her off with the Dead Boy Detective Agency for a potential spinoff.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Foundation 1.3 was super meh.

So apparently I don't remember shit from the books other than Seldon's messages. Talked to my cousin who is a Asimov nut, and he said that the first 3 eps are not at all in the book.

All I remember is that when the story starts, I mean word one, chapter one - Seldon has been dead for a long time. Several encyclopedists on Terminus meet every certain amount of time (like 50 to 100 years or so) to basically watch a pre-recorded hologram from Seldon that says "The galaxy should be here, this civilization should be falling, that one thriving, this planet blew up, etc etc etc - do this and that to prepare for the next message. See you in X amount of years."

What I DO remember is that for the first... half? of the first book, each chapter or couple of chapters changes characters, because you are going through time. Seldon's hologram, a bunch of infighting with planetary leaders, war, etc etc. Next chapter, Seldon's hologram, new people bitching about this or that. At some point we do reach the 'main' characters in the story who are trying to find the Foundation. Salvor Hardin is A. a male in the book and B. an important Planetary Governor. Gaal Dornick is male as well, and there is no Dean Thomas actor that stabs Seldon.

All I can think is maybe they are showing us what happened before the first page of the book. I think that makes sense, honestly. So far the first 3 eps are showing what has led to the first page of the novel(s).

Allegedly the show runner plans on 8 seasons. I know Foundation isn't about lasers and epic starbattles, it's more cerebral and political (probably why I was bored to tears reading it). But still, so far it's just TOO Much of a slow burn.