BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Over the past week I re-watched the 2 Wet Hot American Summer series. Now they're aren't quite as good as the movie but they still manage to capture a lot of it's charm and it's honestly incredible they were able to get damn near everyone back (twice) after so many years. Not perfect and they were both a little wobbly at first but found their footing and were a lot of fun, which is more than I can say about a lot of follow ups made so long after the original.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Closing fast on the end of Succession and Barry, and (I assume at least, Lindelof tends to get these things right) Mrs. Davis:

I'm gonna go ahead and say Matthew MacFayden is my favorite actor on Succession. Braun is super fun, obviously, Snook, Strong, Cox, Ruck, Kulkin, Skaarsgard, several others, incredibly good performances, but man, Tom's scenes just tend to ring truer than most others IMO. Married into wealth and never forgets that he's kind of playing above his league but doesn't let it bring him down. And his chemistry with Sarah Snook in particular and also Nicholas Braun is as good as I can remember seeing. Also, Greg's recap of his night dancing with old men that didn't want to dance and drinking things that aren't normally drinks slayed me.

The surprise time jump in Barry is implemented way better than I would have ever seen coming. And for as um, interestingly, as everyone has turned out eight years later, none of it feels, I dunno, unearned. The setup for what I assume will be the finale next week, I really liked it. That's where Barry deserved to be and who he deserved to be with and he's there.

And now I guess Simone is going to rock down to Electric Avenue to maybe finally destroy the macguffin? Honestly, it's hard to even do moderate justice to Mrs. Davis in writing, but it's just so good. Maybe the first unequivocable recommendation I've had without being able to being to explain why other than it's utterly nuts in a good way. Seriously, that scene with Wiley and his right-hand guy in the desert, and the way it ended for the former, it's good stuff. Sometimes two dudes in Speedos having a heartfelt conversation about killing an all-powerful AI while also trying to stall the killer(?) mini-Uber driver is all you need.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Barry has been really good. The character arcs are great, it's just a very well made show and it seems to really know what needs to happen that is both best for the story but also interesting and satisfying.

I know that last episode of Succession was supposed to be hard to watch but eh, it felt a lot like Ozark, in a bad way. I agree that MacFayden is the best actor on the show, he really makes Tom a bizarrely relatable guy.

Reactions: jro

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Todd and the Book of Pure Evil- How the hell did I miss this? It's basically Idle Hands and Evil Dead meets Degrassi lol. It's not good but it's stupid fun.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I am watching Alf on 2-3 am antenna right now at work and it’s fuckin koll.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
And now I guess Simone is going to rock down to Electric Avenue to maybe finally destroy the macguffin? Honestly, it's hard to even do moderate justice to Mrs. Davis in writing, but it's just so good. Maybe the first unequivocable recommendation I've had without being able to being to explain why other than it's utterly nuts in a good way. Seriously, that scene with Wiley and his right-hand guy in the desert, and the way it ended for the former, it's good stuff. Sometimes two dudes in Speedos having a heartfelt conversation about killing an all-powerful AI while also trying to stall the killer(?) mini-Uber driver is all you need.

Just finished Ep 7 of 8. I assume the 8th ep is the finale. No spoilers - but does it actually end, or does it leave it open for more seasons and unanswered questions?

Lindelof worked on this and Lost got zero answers after 6 fucking years, so I'm hoping it actually ends with episode 8.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Finally getting to the final season of Saul. I've got 2 episodes left, it has certainly met my expectations. The way it's wrapping back around is incredibly well done.
We had watched season 1 a few years back and for some reason never got around to continuing until about 3 weeks ago, when we started burning through seasons 2- 6. We just finished tonight, and wow.

Fantastic show, but I was kind of surprised in the last episode to find out how condensed the entire Saul/Breaking Bad timeline is. I had thought more time had passed between the end of Breaking Bad and the black & white scenes in Saul. I thought he had spent years hiding as Gene, but it turns out to have only been maybe 6 or 7 months at most. When we see Jimmy for the last time in the final scene in the final episode, Walt has only been dead about 3 months.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
We had watched season 1 a few years back and for some reason never got around to continuing until about 3 weeks ago, when we started burning through seasons 2- 6. We just finished tonight, and wow.

Fantastic show, but I was kind of surprised in the last episode to find out how condensed the entire Saul/Breaking Bad timeline is. I had thought more time had passed between the end of Breaking Bad and the black & white scenes in Saul. I thought he had spent years hiding as Gene, but it turns out to have only been maybe 6 or 7 months at most. When we see Jimmy for the last time in the final scene in the final episode, Walt has only been dead about 3 months.
I think some of that is because BCS starts so far before BB that the sense of time unintentionally carries over to the final few episodes. Kim leaves him just as he meets Walt and Jesse, that kind of puts thing into perspective as the two series relate time wise. But yeah I was a little thrown off as well.

Final episode was really great, I don't think I ever commented on it earlier. The entire series was exceptional.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The entire series was exceptional.

Its feels odd to think that a show that isnt Breaking Bad can be just as damn good as Breaking Bad, but BCS is right there. So damn good.

Ive gone through BrBa probably 5 times by now, and even went through the Colombian remake "Metastasis" at least once, and started a 2nd. Its prob about time to go through BCS again.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Just finished Ep 7 of 8. I assume the 8th ep is the finale. No spoilers - but does it actually end, or does it leave it open for more seasons and unanswered questions?

Lindelof worked on this and Lost got zero answers after 6 fucking years, so I'm hoping it actually ends with episode 8.
He seems to be one of the very few in the business who's comfortable doing things on his terms instead of $ to the end apparently. And though I'd hope that MS made money for Peacock, it was 100% a Lindelof joint, to its credit. Loved it. I mean, jeez, Wiley was a far better lead than most shows get and he was the second here, and Betty Gilpin absolutely fucking earned her nepo baby spot. I shouldn't say that.

Gilpin was fantastic and she made the show much, much better than it could have been.

TBH, this is an interesting case, to me at least, of Max missing on a hit that they could have had. I mean c'mon, Lindelof was already here to do business but no, see your way to whoever else, then the show is awesome, just like all his other shows one of which they funded.

Regardless, it was great and easily one of the two best shows of the year alongside Succession.

edit yeesh me fookin' useless words whilst hittin the vodka and tonic. Time to go bet the horses!

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
He seems to be one of the very few in the business who's comfortable doing things on his terms instead of $ to the end apparently. And though I'd hope that MS made money for Peacock, it was 100% a Lindelof joint, to its credit. Loved it. I mean, jeez, Wiley was a far better lead than most shows get and he was the second here, and Betty Gilpin absolutely fucking earned her nepo baby spot. I shouldn't say that.

Gilpin was fantastic and she made the show much, much better than it could have been.

TBH, this is an interesting case, to me at least, of Max missing on a hit that they could have had. I mean c'mon, Lindelof was already here to do business but no, see your way to whoever else, then the show is awesome, just like all his other shows one of which they funded.

Regardless, it was great and easily one of the two best shows of the year alongside Succession.

edit yeesh me fookin' useless words whilst hittin the vodka and tonic. Time to go bet the horses!

Finished Davis and it was an enjoyable romp the whole way though. Though I do wish they hadn't leaned so hard into religious territory. But still, a fun show and I'm glad its bookended. Sorta.

That windmill started to move...

Started SILO tonite. Very interesting premise if it does remind me quite a bit of Ascension and almost a Westworld vibe, though mainly because of the intro.

But Tim Robbins? Shooot, lemme in on dat shit. I'll keep watchin'.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Have any of you guys watched FUBAR on Netflix? I just watched the first episode and the first 5 minutes takes place in my home town of Antwerp. It’s funny to so Arnie rape my native tongue.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
@HornheaDD - yes! I loved that shot. They went from the high of Wiley's ending and Simone's triumphant choice to chaos and famine to... maybe not. Reminded me very much of the ending of Watchmen, kinda apply your own biases as necessary. And, especially given what I'm posting in a minute, I think actually my favorite show of the year so far (not gonna be beaten).

Succession and Barry finales - former, it made sense at least. Mattson got things worked out by handpicking a CEO whose wife he wants to fuck and didn't have a problem with that while said wife was giving the CEO rave job reviews. Best part was Tom deciding to be loyal to Greg over everyone else when yeah, pretty much everyone else had fucked him over. Good end shot of Ken. There was, IMO, certainly some uneveness to the last few episodes that was pretty noticeable due to Armstrong's late decision on whether or not to end the series, kinda felt like 20 minutes and extra story explainer was shoehorned into the last several eps to make it work.

Gotta admit I'm with whoever wrote the article on The Ringer arguing that Barry ended better than did Succession. Sally, Fuches, Hank, they all ended, I dunno, right, for lack of a better way to put it. So did Barry and Cousineau, come to think of it. Very cool final sequence. Hader is honestly a fantastic director/storyteller, I will be very, very curious to see what he attaches to next. Could be Jordan Peele level if he picks projects well. Also similarly, I did not, at any point, watch Stephon SNL sketches and go yeah, that's a visionary right there.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I thought the Succession finale was excellent. Shiv breaking the deal at the last second causing Kendall and Roman to so incredibly embarrass themselves in front of the entire board and proving they are not suitable to run anything.

Roman then just kind of giving it all up and realizing that it's embarrassing but it'll be okay and he's never going to have to worry about anything regardless of the empire remaining in the family.

Kendall just being absolutely destroyed by his own selfishness.

Tom sliding through it all and coming out on top because that's what he does. He really is just an empty suit. Shiv smartly and patiently resigned to play her role and wait to see what the future might hold.

It was all very satisfying.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I also wanted to add that Greg being a total weasel faced snitch and betraying Tom and Tom ultimately giving Greg a pass once he gets the big seat is perfect. Greg is in reality the only friend Tom has and the only other character that is willing to be so unbelievably spineless. They are truly made for each other.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I also wanted to add that Greg being a total weasel faced snitch and betraying Tom and Tom ultimately giving Greg a pass once he gets the big seat is perfect. Greg is in reality the only friend Tom has and the only other character that is willing to be so unbelievably spineless. They are truly made for each other.
100% agreed. I didn't really get it in the moment but then went back and though about it and realized that Tom, as much as he abused Greg, loved him more than anyone else and ultimately took care of him. Greg never directly fucked over Tom like everyone else did, and Tom remembered that. And as such, Greg thrived, even after all that went down.

I think I will remember this finale more and more fondly over time. Braun and MacFayden were just so incredibly good, among various others.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Watched that Arnold documentary on Netflix, it was pretty decent. It's split into 3 parts; his childhood/body building career, his prime movie career and his political career as well as a bit of a personal retrospective. I found the first part to be the most interesting as I was mostly unfamiliar with his body building career before Pumping Iron. Arnold himself is interviewed extensively and does a lot of narration. He's charismatic and fairly candid, it gives you a good look into how his mind works. He's certainly not shy about how full of shit he is. Worth a watch.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
We started Lost 2: Electric Boogal- OH WAIT I mean Manifest when we heard that it was actually getting an ending.

Its... literally fucking Lost 2.

I mean... for real.

Plane crashes. People disappear.
They reappear randomly back on land.
Weird shit happens.
Some of them have powers to hear what they call "callings."
Josh Dallas has a really fucking weird mouth.
Hot indian chick that unfortunately looks a lot like a cousin of mine (non blood, so... would)
"Patterns" every where from their flight number. 828. (seriously you didnt even try something out of the 800s? like flight 2112 or some shit?)
Some sort of "God" variable in the mix.

One episode away from the finale and its wasting SO much fucking time on "oh I fell in love with you" sappy bullshit instead of answering questions. EXACTLY like Lost's penultimate ep.

The ending is obviously not going to answer shit and cement itself as a Lost Wannabe. But not as "good."

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Has anyone watched Silo? (did I already bring it up in this thread?)

Season 1 ended, and so far it's been pretty consistently great. Definitely want to read the books.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Finished up my Netflix run with The Glory and Beef:

The Glory - very damn long (who makes a 16 episode show now?) but oddly managed to earn that runtime IMO. As was noted in reviews, the extreme ineptitude/indifference of the adults during the initial abuse is a little out there but the attention to detail in tying things up made up for it I think. Some very good performances. I like the turn to the supporting character to lead to season 2.

Beef - pretty good overall, but unlike in TG, I was kind of bored for maybe the first half or so of the 10 episodes of this. I don't like Ali Wong as a standup at all, but she was quite good here, and Yeun was as good or better. I like the concept of just how far wrong two paired bad choices (plus depression) can go for the most part. Ending made me groan at first but then settled in as mostly earned, to be honest. Both characters are so incredibly broken and strangely bonded.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Just finished up Dexter New Blood - first note, the Showtime app is fucking terrible. It runs like Hulu from four years ago or so. Get a clue IT guys. Doesn't help obviously.

And then... the content. Was looking forward to finally getting a canon non-shit ending to Dexter, and I guess New Blood got that. Not good but not terrible which is far better than the original run.

Yellowjackets - huh, never thought I'd be thanking that 7-day trial. Show is so boring. Don't care about the adults. I'm honestly a little dumbfounded by how bad they fucked this up. It's just awful and nowhere worth paying money for.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Has anyone checked out the new Superman animated series on Adult Swim/HBO Max yet? I was gonna check it out later tonight. It has an anime-like art style but from what I've heard it draws heavily from 1980s Superman comics.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Days was good, not Chernobyl good but still. It's extremely critical of how the whole situation was handled and by extension Japanese bureaucracy in general. The acting is excellent and they do a good job of giving a lot of different people enough screen time so you get a full picture of what's happening from the Prime Minister all the way down to the guys on the ground. It's pretty engaging and tense without ever being too somber or dramatic. There's still a touch of J-Drama though and it's a little slow in parts but overall it never felt like it was really dragging. Recommended.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Late to this, but I've just started watching the HBO Perry Mason. Three episodes in and it's pretty great so far.