Bethesda games: I just don't get it

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I've tried to get into their huge open world games like Fallout 3 and I find them boring and bland. The dialogue options either make you Mother Teresa or Hitler with no middle ground. I just can't see how people get so absorbed into them. If you like them, why?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I only like Fallout 3 and Morrowind. And there is a middle-ground in the recent games, especially Fallout.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
For me,

Vanilla Bethesda = Very much agree with you.

Modded Bethesda = Hours and hours of playing a game that I want to play, because I made it that way and can just lose myself in it.

Honestly, I haven't really liked their more recent projects, but once enough effort is put into fleshing out the framework they provide then things can get very very interesting quite quickly. I am not too sure if this is a model that should be emulated or shunned by other developers though...both answers feel right, but at the same time neither. It is complicated :)

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Fallout 3 is the best and most awesomest experience for me since Final Fantasy VII. My second big revelation in my life of gaming. I'm sooooooooooooo happy I decided to give it a try.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
My fascination with Fallout 3 was mostly because I'd never played a game where my decisions actually impacted the world around me. I could kill off NPCs, blow up whole towns, make and break alliances and so forth.

All of this stuff opened and closed doors and questlines as I played through, and I found it all to be relatively organic. Up until then, most of the RPGs I'd played didn't allow for that kind of drastic alteration to the landscape so I was naturally sucked in.

I am also a huge fan of dystopian/post-apocalyptic fiction and I loved Fallout 3's interpretation of America after a nuclear war. There is nothing so haunting as a touch of the familiar in your wasteland. I also liked the music choices. Gave the game a really odd retro feel that is hard to get right. But Bethesda, in my opinion, did it.

New Vegas didn't really grab me the same way and I never finished it.

I tried Oblivion and just couldn't get into it.

I am going to be picking up the Legendary Edition of Skyrim for PC and I'll be applying the hi-res mod to it. I've heard there are all kinds of insane Skyrim mods that make the game a completely unique experience if you put them all in. Starvation rules, extreme temperature/environmental conditions, and all other kinds of challenges that a person might actually have to deal with in a world like that.

I normally don't like 'real life' in my fantasy games, but I have to admit that the community modding culture of Skyrim has me very interested to give it a try.

Last edited:

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
One of the best things in life is a Bethesda game modded to the teeth with tits and ass c/o mods.

Fin.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I used to think the same thing about Fallout 3 for a while until I played it 2 days straight, then I changed my mind. Btw, I'm currently playing Dishonored and this one is pure awesomeness right from the start, you should definitely try it out.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I actually got Dishonored on sale a couple weeks ago, but I just mean Bethesdas open world games, basically Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Maybe I'll just give it another chance, I didn't like the first Mass Effect for years until last year when I tried it out again and ended up loving it for some reason.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I actually got Dishonored on sale a couple weeks ago, but I just mean Bethesdas open world games, basically Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Maybe I'll just give it another chance, I didn't like the first Mass Effect for years until last year when I tried it out again and ended up loving it for some reason.

Mass Effect 1 is great, but dated. Mass Effect 2 is great and somewhat modern. Mass Effect 3 is more Mass Effect 2 except they slip up on the story elements. However, ME3 multiplayer is surprisingly good as a customizable class-based hoarde mode.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Yeah around the release of the third game I ended up buying all three and finished them all in a month or so. ME2 is one of my favorite games now but I love all three.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I like Bethesda games for two reasons: Exploration and I get to make my own narrative. I really value that.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I just absolutely love the post apocalyptic theme in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Skyrim just doesn't do it for me.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I love Bethesda games (The Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3, not the other stuff they've published but didn't develop) because they scratch more than one itch. A huge world to explore; the sense of discovery being one of the best qualities of these games. Excellent production values; award-winning audio designers and Oscar-winning voice talent. And character progression from a virtual nobody to a virtual god.

Bethesda games give me a high unlike any other games I've played in this hobby for the past thirty years.

Not an easy thing to find.

Liq_Wurm

Krauser's Henchman
I also can't get into Bethesda, however they did acquire than publish Rage which really brought me back to the good old quake1 fps days.

I'd recommend it for the PC.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Dishonored is a game I've been meaning to play for some time. I heard the first DLC is really good too. Just waiting for a price drop (along with AC3.)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've tried to get into their huge open world games like Fallout 3 and I find them boring and bland. The dialogue options either make you Mother Teresa or Hitler with no middle ground. I just can't see how people get so absorbed into them. If you like them, why?

Your not alone. I haven't played FO yet, but Oblivion bored the crap out of me. I only played it for a few hours so maybe I need to give it another chance before counting it out. I failed to mention I'm not a RPG kind of guy, but I did enjoy playing Mass Effect.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I happened to love Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion, and Skyrim. I think they are fantastic examples of modern RPGs.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I happened to love Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion, and Skyrim. I think they are fantastic examples of modern RPGs.

I came in here expecting people to all jump on the bandwagon against Bethesda. Glad that's not the case. Bethesda is great.

Mr. Zurkon

Zero's Secretary
I love the atmosphere of pretty much all their games but I find that I have to be in a certain mood for the really open world titles. I still haven't played Dishonored, it looks awesome from what I've seen and I somehow still haven't played Skyrim.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
+1 for finding them boring. I find it hard to get into any long games these days though. The older I get the more my attention span shrinks.

I could imagine a 15 year old version of myself really liking them though.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
+1 for finding them boring. I find it hard to get into any long games these days though. The older I get the more my attention span shrinks.

I could imagine a 15 year old version of myself really liking them though.

I think that's my thing too. I rarely get into really long RPGs and I just got obsessed with Mass Effect last year so maybe I'm just kind of RPG'd out right now.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I liked Elder Scrolls Morrowind back in the day, but I lost interest Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 3 after a couple days. They were really boring.