Biblical question (let's try not to start a flame war)

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
I've been on this site for a long time and I know how off topic and crazy threads on religion can be, but theres something that I've been wondering about.
First off I'm agnostic. I do not deny or believe in god. I simply don't think that theres enough evidence to prove or disprove that he/she/it is indeed out there.
Saying that, I'm VERY interested in different religions. And this is the main reason I'm posting this here. I was reading the Bible the other night, genesis to be exact.
I come to the part about the first murder between Cain and Able and something just doesn't add up.
Ok. You have Adam and Eve. God's first creations. Then from them you get Cain and Able. Cain kills Able, leaving three people. Adam, Cain, and Eve.
However when it mentioned how Cain was banished it states that he finds other people, includiing a wife, and creates a city called Enoch.
Where in the hell did these other people come from?

Please don't start a flame war. I was just asking because this issue is completely ignored.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Well, since the bible is a collection of fictional stories and writings, it doesn't have to make 'sense' or be accurate in any way.

Sorry if this is inflammatory- but c'mon- especially the 'old testament' aka Hebrew Talmud- it's really fantastical and cannot be taken literally (except by religious fundamentalists/zealots)

Even many progressive Catholics preach that the bible cannot be taken literally in many senses- So I'd say it's pointless to try to come to a real understanding of the 'old' testament.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
I dunno, I never thought about it, seems like someone screwed up the plot continuity. The producer will have to hear about this.

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking myself, but I wanted some people who share this view to explain it.
But I suppose that's the only answer I'm going to get.

Well, according to a mix of gnostic and Jewish mythology, when Cain ventured east of Eden he found the exile Lilith (who was invented by the Rabbinical scholars) and their children spawned the city of Enoch.

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
I know about Lillith. What I'm asking is how is there other people other than Adam, Cain, and Eve?
Where did they come from?

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Lilith the first woman? That one? The one that wanted to be equal to Adam and then she got kicked out right?

RVF400

Host for Orochi
well my mother is VERY religous, if u go to her house she has GOD digital t.v!, and a lot of scary stuff, anyway i was brought up to be religous but my dad wasn't religous (parents were seprate) so i grew up believing what i want, i have heard my mother preach many many times, it drives me mad sometimes, and the conclusion i have come to with the bible is that it is JUST storys, no1 can prove where they come from or who wrote them, people who denie this are just belivers, and good for them if they believe it, but my common sense tells overwise.
and believe me guys i have been preached to by my mum for 2o years now, and still i do not convert, so i think i have enough experience is this field to voice this opinion.

BTW, i think religon is a wonderfull thing and would never insult any1's religion EVER, people have a right to believe in something.

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
Rabid Harp Seal said:
Well, there was Seth, the third child of Adam and Eve who spawned basically..The rest of humanity..

Very interesting. Never heard of Seth. Funny how it makes no mention of him.

I had heard of Lillith from vampire mythos, much like Nod.

Interesting.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I'm a Sunday school teacher and also in charge of college student fellowship in Denton, TX :)

- Bible isn't fiction
- There are countless evidence to show that God created heavens and earth
- Bible doesn't just say there were only three people left on earth after the first murder: Adam, Cain, and Eve. Please find the verse to backup your argument.
It just mentions that first murder and that's it.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
neobuyer said:
Well, since the bible is a collection of fictional stories and writings, it doesn't have to make 'sense' or be accurate in any way.

Sorry if this is inflammatory- but c'mon- especially the 'old testament' aka Hebrew Talmud- it's really fantastical and cannot be taken literally (except by religious fundamentalists/zealots)

Even many progressive Catholics preach that the bible cannot be taken literally in many senses- So I'd say it's pointless to try to come to a real understanding of the 'old' testament.

My friend, currently I'm taking Hebrew at Dallas Theological Seminary and I can tell you that bible isn't a fiction :)

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
Liquid Snake said:
I'm a Sunday school teacher and also in charge of college student fellowship in Denton, TX :)

- Bible isn't fiction
- There are countless evidence to show that God created heavens and earth
- Bible doesn't just say there were only three people left on earth after the first murder: Adam, Cain, and Eve. Please find the verse to backup your argument.
It just mentions that first murder and that's it.

Well up until the murder. God has created Adam and Eve. They have the children, Cain and Able. No one else. That's it. No mention of anyone else. Then Cain kills Able leaving three. God curses Cain to wander alone, and he finds enough people to create a city. Theres not even any mention of how much time passes, so it doesn't even make sense to argue that he comes in contact with another generation.
So where did they come from?

RVF400

Host for Orochi
nah guys, i don't know where u heard that from, but there is no SOLID proof, the only people saying its real are christians themselfs, open your eyes, not your ears

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Giga Power said:
Well up until the murder. God has created Adam and Eve. They have the children, Cain and Able. No one else. That's it. No mention of anyone else. Then Cain kills Able leaving three. God curses Cain to wander alone, and he finds enough people to create a city. Theres not even any mention of how much time passes, so it doesn't even make sense to argue that he comes in contact with another generation.

Here's my theory:

God is actually E.T.

Adam and Eve are remnants of a human race supposedly wiped out by nuclear holocaust. Unbeknownst to Adam and Eve, there are actually many survivors outside of their land, and Cain was the first explorer to do so.

They should put Cain's portrait on a coin to honor him as the New World's first explorer.

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
RVF400 said:
nah guys, i don't know where u heard that from, but there is no SOLID proof, the only people saying its real are christians themselfs, open your eyes, not your ears

Please hold back from saying something that someone else might find offensive. I'm simply asking a question because it peaked my interest. Don't want anyone pissed off.

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
Nesagwa said:
Lilith the first woman? That one? The one that wanted to be equal to Adam and then she got kicked out right?

Yeah. Apparently her story was that when Adam wanted to "do it", he always wanted her to be on the bottom, submissive. This was because Adam was so used to doing that with animals. She refused, and the rest is (debatable) history.

...I dunno where I heard that, but it seemed credible.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
RVF400 said:

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse

(Roman 1:20)

:)

RVF400

Host for Orochi
i never meant to insult or upset any1 gigapower, if i said anything offensive, then im sorry but i don't think i did anyway

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Liquid Snake said:
My friend, currently I'm taking Hebrew at Dallas Theological Seminary and I can tell you that bible isn't a fiction :)

Well I'm Jewish and I can tell you it is fiction.

It's just as credible an arguement you realize.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Giga Power said:

If you read Genesis carefully then you'll know that:

- Eve became preganent and gave birth to Cain (but it didn't say it's Adam's & Eve's first child).

The main focus in Genesis 4 is describing the murder and that's it.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Liquid Snake said:
If you read Genesis carefully then you'll know that:

- Eve became preganent and gave birth to Cain (but it didn't say it's Adam's & Eve's first child).

The main focus in Genesis 4 is describing the murder and that's it.

So in Cain wasn't Adam & Eve's first child...then they had other children who inbred...since the genetic diversity of two people isn't enough to sustain a population by the time of the flood the Earth was full of nonfunctional retards.

So then only Noah and his family were left...and they started inbreeding.

Soon the flood will come again.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
RevQuixo said:
Well I'm Jewish and I can tell you it is fiction.

It's just as credible an arguement you realize.

Well, God gives us free will to choose whatever you want to do. But you can't deny that there is no God.

Believe or not believe, you are still God's child as He created and love us all.

the binary c0de

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
20 Year Member
Giga Power said:
Well up until the murder. God has created Adam and Eve. They have the children, Cain and Able. No one else. That's it. No mention of anyone else.
All I can really think to mention is that if every person ever born up to the crusifiction of Christ, the bible would be of unreadable size, so where do you think they stopped mentioning the birth of people and their names? I mean the bible is not an account of all things, and the early old testament I believe is but just a brief overview of events that bring us into the law and into the religion that Christ came to free us of.

If you are reading the bible for the religion, the old testament will give you plenty of it. If you are actually seeking God, I would make sure that you equally read from the new testament, as thats where relationship transends religion. Religion is dead and is only a cycle. Relationship is what saves, and its there for those who truely seek it. Anyway, best of either way. Its always good to question things. Best of.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
RevQuixo said:
So in Cain wasn't Adam & Eve's first child...then they had other children who inbred...since the genetic diversity of two people isn't enough to sustain a population by the time of the flood the Earth was full of nonfunctional retards.

So then only Noah and his family were left...and they started inbreeding.

Soon the flood will come again.

Inbreeding.

Genesis 1:28 says that "Be fruitful and increase in number". God allows this to be happen.

Later in the Old Testaments God prohibits Inbreeding.