Big Tymers unwittingly laundering fake carts

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Would it surprise you to find out that some collectors who were buying their collections after 2003 have been buying fake games and recirculating them into the system?

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
no. i think there are a lot of collectors owning fake aes carts, perfectly made...

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I guess it surprises me to a degree.

I thought counterfeit quality rose with a gradual pace throughout the years.

Wouldn't a decent 2004 fake look suspicious when standing beside a well-done 2012 fake?

EDIT: So those fakes should have been outed by now. Unless they were that good in 2003, and well, that's your point here.

Last edited:

lions3

Igniz's Servent
I'm sure it happens. Any common carts? Anything surprising?

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I'm sure it happens. Any common carts? Anything surprising?

I got two fake (boot) carts: spinmaster & top hunter
I was surprised to see ppl boot those two carts........
You never know.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Who boots Spinmaster or Top Hunter? Would hardly be worth it wouldn't it?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If someone bought a fake game, like a Euro Real Bout 2, and upon realizing the nature of the fake, forced the seller to refund the money,

Would you fault the buyer for not returning the game to the seller?

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
If someone bought a fake game, like a Euro Real Bout 2, and upon realizing the nature of the fake, forced the seller to refund the money,

Yes, because how do you know the seller is the one responsible for the boot or knew so himself.

On a side note, at what point do the "fakes" become so good that they are making "real" carts? And if so why does it even matter anymore? The real carts are probably made with newer, higher quality materials that would probably last longer anyways.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
There's probably so much shit out there going on that has never been discovered. People probably found ways to counterfeit these perfectly, and i'm sure they ain't telling anyone. I wouldn't be surprised if a very large percentage of most AES games are fake.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member

The shitty thing is whether the buyer returned it or not, neither party would destroy the item so it will be recirculated at some point.

lions3

Igniz's Servent

So the seller doesn't pass the boot to another person? Sure I could understand that.

Now if you're the seller and don't know you're selling the boot (probably a very small percentage). You might just want the game back. As you don't believe it's fake but you also don't want to argue with the buyer who could give you negative feedback.

Hmm... I guess I would just prove its fake to the seller with a ton of pics. Get my refund. Then post a YouTube vid of me destroying it. Hehe.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Would it surprise you to find out...

Aggregators recirculating phonies would not surprise me a bit, but the biggest launders were/are Japanese stores & YAJ. Buyers understood this ethnic origin as a kind of inviolable guarantee for AES authenticity. But most Japanese sellers know less about boots & cons than the average ng.com noobster. Be it sloth or an IDGAF philosophy...

The times of careless and unprotected CBD are over anyway, fakes infested gatherers worldwide, just like AIDS did Yuppies in the 80's. So the only thing to regret about one's collection is... that it has Boneitis.

totoro

X>2, (He is so wrong -Ed),
name and shame...otherwise no point in even mentioning it

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
name and shame...otherwise no point in even mentioning it

I disagree, it's worth to discuss old blunders considering the arrival of the latest generation of counterfeits. Names would be the least important fact about it... except for hopeless drama afficionados.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
So the seller doesn't pass the boot to another person? Sure I could understand that.

Now if you're the seller and don't know you're selling the boot (probably a very small percentage). You might just want the game back. As you don't believe it's fake but you also don't want to argue with the buyer who could give you negative feedback.

Hmm... I guess I would just prove its fake to the seller with a ton of pics. Get my refund. Then post a YouTube vid of me destroying it. Hehe.

Exactly - the buyer should have posted a video of the fake cart dying in a fire.

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
...On a side note, at what point do the "fakes" become so good that they are making "real" carts? And if so why does it even matter anymore? The real carts are probably made with newer, higher quality materials that would probably last longer anyways.

a metal slug 1 is as real as a fatal fury is - but the price is different. i think 95% of the fakes are obvious and sold as conversions: pretty easy to identify because of insert, manual, sticker quality - and if these might be perfect (normally they are far away from "perfect") and 1:1 to the original, the boot can be identified via the boards. but i am sure that there are boots you cant identify via the boards, cause they are perfectly (re)made...

in a world where watch calibers are faked very well, faking aes carts seems to be quite easy (compared to that). and of course nobody tells in public "i make perfect boots". and ppl dont know they bought a boot so they cant tell "uhhh i bought a perfect boot for 5k".

i wonder how much ppl have an original jap aes cart with fake us kit (insert, manual, label) or vice versa, depending which is worth more $...

nintendospy

Crossed Swords Squire
20 Year Member
There's probably so much shit out there going on that has never been discovered. People probably found ways to counterfeit these perfectly, and i'm sure they ain't telling anyone. I wouldn't be surprised if a very large percentage of most AES games are fake.

Agreed. With thousands of dollars to earn from each sale, there certainly is the motivation to perfect the methods of producing counterfeits.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
What really should be done now, is people who have known legit games, like purchased new, and or directly from snk, should be documenting these things. Whats going to happen is these fakes, ate going to be thought of as legit, and possibly determining all real carts to be fake. So known real carts, from respected members should be documented inside. With high resolution photos.

Whats it's going to come down to 100 years from now, if people still collect Neo geo. Which I think they will even if not functional, is some dude with a magnifying glass like on antiques roadshow.

Sonesones gonna be like I found this last blade in my dads chest, it was his favorite he said he picked it up from a guy who purchased it over the phone from SNK back in the day. And guy with magnifying glass going to be like, sorry, this is well known aromikwave boot. You can tell from the solder joints under my magnifying glass. I also swabbed a small sample and the solder is not typical of official SNK product. Sorry for your loss. But it's still worth 1k instead of 10k.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The only allegedly fake game I have seen in person that looks like it could be real is Aero Fighters 3 English AES.

Never bought a fake AES game myself. The number of fakes has to be very small, but probably increases exponentially with value. The only high dollar games I've owned were MotW and Pulstar (both real). If you are repeatedly buying fakes, maybe the problem is you are not diligent enough.