Biggest Neo Geo related regrets back in the day :(

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Quite the opposite, videogames as investments is sillybusiness, but the regrets most people are showing are that they had wished they had bought this game back when it was cheap and now it's obtainable, or they wish they hadn't sold it because it's worth $XXX amount today. If you had lolmoney from actual investments then the price of that game you want is pretty insignificant and you could just keep/get rid of whatever you actually wanted without caring about monetary value.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
not having renters insurance and having my AES/MVS collection along with other stuff get stolen...fuck you Michigan guy who came over to pick up a GT2K...I know it was you :blow_top:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I played everything I had, and I had a lot. I regret very little.

If I had to pick something, I would say I regret not playing more of the NG library at a competetive level. Most of my skills in the Fighting games are against the AI. I should have gone to more of the meetups. I played almost all the 90's and early 00's fighters at the arcades, but rarely was it NG outside of SSII. I was too busy schooling people in KI, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter... etc...

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Quite the opposite, videogames as investments is sillybusiness, but the regrets most people are showing are that they had wished they had bought this game back when it was cheap and now it's obtainable, or they wish they hadn't sold it because it's worth $XXX amount today. If you had lolmoney from actual investments then the price of that game you want is pretty insignificant and you could just keep/get rid of whatever you actually wanted without caring about monetary value.
I wish I bought it when it was cheaper because I wanted the game. Not as an investment. I can still regret not buying it when it was cheaper.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Yup, I saw multiple copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga for sale in rows at £39.99 back in 1999 in a Game shop in Edinburgh. You could barely give that shit away back then.

I don’t regret it, I try to look forward not back. As others said, it’s just plastic and packaging at the end of the day and when you die it’s unlikely your relatives will care about it the same way you did.

Makes collecting feel like a mental illness when you take a step away from it and look at yourself. Especially with MisTer and other solutions being so good these days.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
not having renters insurance and having my AES/MVS collection along with other stuff get stolen...fuck you Michigan guy who came over to pick up a GT2K...I know it was you :blow_top:
WTF happened?

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
WTF happened?
well...it's been close to 17years now. I was selling some stuff on Ebay and one item was a GT2K. Dude from Michigan won the auction, said he'd drive down to pick it up. I didn't think too much about it when we were trying to figure out schedules but looking back, I pretty much told him when I was going to be home and not. I gave the local cops the dude's email/ebay info but I have my doubts they did anything with it. I think they thought I was making up shit prices when I was giving them an itemized list of what was taken...he didn't get everything. I took my dog (Neo) with me, at least he was safe. Dude was huge, 6'5" 300#+, drove a Durango, did get a weird vibe from him when he was here but dismissed it. lesson learned...

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
well...it's been close to 17years now. I was selling some stuff on Ebay and one item was a GT2K. Dude from Michigan won the auction, said he'd drive down to pick it up. I didn't think too much about it when we were trying to figure out schedules but looking back, I pretty much told him when I was going to be home and not. I gave the local cops the dude's email/ebay info but I have my doubts they did anything with it. I think they thought I was making up shit prices when I was giving them an itemized list of what was taken...he didn't get everything. I took my dog (Neo) with me, at least he was safe. Dude was huge, 6'5" 300#+, drove a Durango, did get a weird vibe from him when he was here but dismissed it. lesson learned...

Sucks, sorry to hear that.

I used to sell stuff on Craigslist all the time and never thought twice about people coming to my place to pick stuff up. After I got married my wife was like are you nuts, go meet them somewhere else instead. So I started doing that for awhile and it does make alot more sense.

Having said that, I just stopped selling stuff locally because it sucks in general. Time wasters, no shows, on the spot hagglers, etc. It's just not worth it. Now we either donate stuff or just toss it out.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
This thread got me thinking about Aero Fighters 3 and if anyone that bought it is here and has any ragurts on it.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
I gave the local cops the dude's email/ebay info but I have my doubts they did anything with it.

My house was robbed about 20 years ago. I found my entire dvd collection at a nearby store, complete with my name written into the inside of cases with a sharpie. The store had the guy's license photocopied. Cops did absolute fuck all. I never even got my dvds back.

Oh as for biggest Neo regret is probably selling my MSX US AES I bought new from NCSX back in the day.

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
I regret getting a little too excited about the new CD-based systems back in the day as a youngster, when I would have been better off just getting a Neo, even if it would have meant having a smaller games collection for a while. The arcade games of the time were the really fun ones for me anyway, but I was blinded by all the hype about the new tech.

I got an AES later though, and now I still play the Neo games, and don't find myself coming back to the disk games of old with their silly FMV and such so much.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
I fucked up my first AES when I was younger with a botched unibios install. Back then my soldering was horrific so I ruined a perfectly good system. Even now my current unibios install is from back in the day and looks like a rats nest and is God awful. I would like to clean it up but I am too scared to touch it. First pic is the install that destroyed my old console and the second one is the current install.

Attachments

• IMG_20180220_180124.jpg
    IMG_20180220_180124.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20190323_224534_Original.jpg
    IMG_20190323_224534_Original.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I fucked up my first AES when I was younger with a botched unibios install. Back then my soldering was horrific so I ruined a perfectly good system. Even now my current unibios install is from back in the day and looks like a rats nest and is God awful. I would like to clean it up but I am too scared to touch it. First pic is the install that destroyed my old console and the second one is the current install.
You’re a monster!

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
Hey, at least he was honest about it! That had to have been the worst feeling in the world to ruin a perfectly good console. It sucks and it’s painful to read, but thank you for sharing the story nonetheless. I did something similar years ago trying to remove a rental sticker on my Saturn Mega Man 8 disc. I thought if I just pulled veeery gently and slowly I could get it off, but it eventually pulled up the data layer, ruining it completely.

Obligatory Neo related regret? Wish I would have bought Matrimelee years ago from someone asking $500, but I was still new to the AES at the time and there were just too many other games I wanted first.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I was barely aware of the console, my neighbor said he had one but his family was...odd. Growing up he wasn't allowed to play with the other kids.

Nice guy but sheltered. We'd talk when we'd mow our yards.

So yeah later I played Metal Slug on the Saturn and rediscovered the Neo. Went AES, CD, CMVS and cab.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Hey, at least he was honest about it! That had to have been the worst feeling in the world to ruin a perfectly good console. It sucks and it’s painful to read, but thank you for sharing the story nonetheless. I did something similar years ago trying to remove a rental sticker on my Saturn Mega Man 8 disc. I thought if I just pulled veeery gently and slowly I could get it off, but it eventually pulled up the data layer, ruining it completely.

Obligatory Neo related regret? Wish I would have bought Matrimelee years ago from someone asking $500, but I was still new to the AES at the time and there were just too many other games I wanted first.
Yeah I remember that feeling and it sucked. I was like 13 at the time so the amount of money down the toilet was immense. I can't believe my first console to practice soldering on was the AES. I still bet you can find my posts whining about it somewhere on the forums still. Good times.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Ok that's kind of normal when you were a kid. Everyone who learned to repair stuff ruined perfectly fine systems. Later you repair broken systems to perfectly fine systems. If you're still uncomfortable send it to someone with more knowledge. There are peeps who can safe almost everything even your first AES.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I sold a sonic wings 2 after needing the money. I should have gave blood or something for the extra cash.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Ok that's kind of normal when you were a kid. Everyone who learned to repair stuff ruined perfectly fine systems. Later you repair broken systems to perfectly fine systems. If you're still uncomfortable send it to someone with more knowledge. There are peeps who can safe almost everything even your first AES.
I'm nearly certain I traded it to @BIG BEAR a few years back. Maybe he has it still?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I mean I kinda regret selling my entire game collection (including an AES with a dozen games) back in the 2000s when I was broke and unemployed but only because I could get more for it now. That money kept me in food and shelter for the better part of six months and I would've had to lug all of that shit 4 or 5 times between various moves so yeah... no regerts really.

I do kinda regret not spending more time back in the day getting good at SS5 Special. Seems to be the only SS game people play seriously anymore (and even that's in tiny little pockets).

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Not buying up some of Jorge's collection and some cabs from him when I had the opportunity. When $1100 for a nice Metal Slug US was considered crazy and for ballers only, lol.

Even at the end of his sales... those prices :(

Last edited:

NGLad

n00b
Not buying up some of Jorge's collection and some cabs from him when I had the opportunity. When $1100 for a nice Metal Slug US was considered crazy and for ballers only, lol.

Even at the end of his sales... those prices :(

Dear God..those prices... Seeing some of those makes me want to cry comparing what I've paid for some of those games in the last year.