Bill Burger AGAIN -- gameboardsoc1234

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Well, it took a bunch of years..

I have defended him here many times because he is a good deal on boards when you get them working. He's not going to be friendly but you'll get a good deal.

Well, he finally put one in me.

Bill sent me a very expensive boardset wrapped in about 4 sheets of newspaper.

Arrived DOA.

Refuses to swap out the motherboard and... as always... he's putting his best customer service foot forward. Offered to full deposit on a replacement part... nope.

I even noted that I have spent THOUSANDS with him, I've collected for decades, not going to rip him off, extensively tested... etc.

I'll post some screenshots in a bit.

Avoid Bill Burger / gameboardsoc1234 / bbu(or whatever his old aol handle was, etc.)

I'm not crying about it, I'll do my return/refund. (He's being difficult, says there's nothing wrong.) Just wanted to make sure his antics aren't forgotten. If you order something from him (AND I NEVER WILL AGAIN), it will be coming in poor packaging, probably dirty, and he will not do anything to fix the problem.

(All this over a $100 motherboard/single part.)

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
You would think even someone who is an absolute curmudgeon with no desire to provide good customer service would have a light bulb go off when they see a good repeat customer that is a steady source of income for them.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
You would think even someone who is an absolute curmudgeon with no desire to provide good customer service would have a light bulb go off when they see a good repeat customer that is a steady source of income for them.

Even better:

He told me he won't replace the motherboard because he doesn't have any to replace it with. Completely forgetting that you can go to his ebay store and see a bunch of them for sale.

I even offered to PAY for one of them if he would just accept the broken one I received as a return.

He'd prefer to argue with me and say that he packs everything well when he ships it. (Fucking lol.)

Not a joke. I have screenshots.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I recall hearing the warnings a long time ago and heeded them. Avoided the MVS listings of his as that's the majority of the arcade hardware I've picked up.

And it sounds like he's just gotten worse over time.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I recall hearing the warnings a long time ago and heeded them. Avoided the MVS listings of his as that's the majority of the arcade hardware I've picked up.

And it sounds like he's just gotten worse over time.

This is life man. People start somewhat good and realize they can get away with bad shit, and it just snowballs over time. At least Bill devolved into shitty customer service. Some dudes devolve into much worse.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Dude sounds terrible to deal with. Sorry you gotta deal with that BS. What Boardset did you get?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I got an STV from him years ago, wrapped in nothing but some newspaper. Thankfully it worked but I never bought from him again.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
lol, I expected this to be a bump of like a 20 year old thread.

I haven't bought anything from him in probably 15 years and I know VT is fully aware of what I'm about to say, this isn't meant as a defense really, but for anyone that has managed to not hear about Bill Burger before: He is just one of a zillion arcade op guys like this, he just happens to be the one that has been selling on eBay since the beginning of time. Back when you would buy something completely without pictures and description was everything, Bill's description would be about 5 words. It always felt like a crapshoot even though he was mostly reliable. He just didn't care for answering questions, providing more details. If you bought it great, he'd send it, but if you ask him about an MVS label he'd sooner hurl himself out a window than tell you if it was English or Japanese.

He has no patience for the 'collector' aspect of arcade shit. You get what you get, if it works he could care less how it looks because that's not the point of the thing. The good news for VT, is that eBay is pretty solid at this point with allowing returns, he'll get the money back.

Unless I'm mixing him up with mdgamessales, that guy was pretty similar. And then most of the older guys I talked to at arcade equipment auctions were just the offline version of Bill.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Yeah, he's a mixed bag. Not a good dude, but some deals to be had.

Unless I'm mixing him up with mdgamessales
RE: Necrobump - SAME.

MD gamesales I'm assuming is in MD; Burger is in CA if I recall

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Holy cow, same here. I haven't heard that name in at least a decade or more, but it's instantly recognizable. IIRC his old BBU eBay account feedback was a ton of positive ratings with almost all of them also mentioning that he's a complete prick.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Everyone knows of him and his temperament. In my case I would bulk buy multiple items and he would always short change me buy one item and make me wait until I bought something else to ship my missing item with the new order because he wasn't paying for shipping to correct his mistake. The irony of this is every consecutive order WOULD ALWAYS have a missing item creating a never ending cycle.

Rasubosu

Crazed MVS Addict
I still see a lot of bootlegs being sold as "GENERIC" games on his account for stupid prices. Has way more of those than actual real copies these days.