Bloodborne March 24th: Now I finally need a PS4

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Neobuyer, it's interesting how you and many others think Fromsoft shit the bed with this one, because thematically, the game is showing some crazy brilliance and subtle detail that was sorely absent in Dark Souls 2.

I went back to a youtube comment discussion about the 3rd "good ending" and I remembered to actually look up some of the dream symbolism you see in the game. It was a long comment so I'll just paste the relevant parts here.

Spoiler:
WHITE FLOWERS IN THE HUNTERS DREAM
When you dream of white flowers, they represent sadness and when flowers (specifically white ones) adorn graves, it represents a departure from earthly pleasures and pursuits. Indirectly this tells you that you are in Ghermans dream and the doll could very well be an effigy of a woman he lost....like a daughter or wife, perhaps. Interesting to note that everywhere else is hell on earth, but the landscape of Gehrmans mind remains unmolested by the great ones.....almost like he had a "deal" with them...which brings me to my next point/symbol....

BURNING HOUSE IN THE HUNTERS DREAM
This one is interesting. A burning house in a dream represents a returning sense of kinship towards your fellow man that was previously lost. Ghermans purpose was to trick amnesiac hunters into doing the bidding of the Great ones....until the ending where he stops playing their game and tries to prevent you from helping them any further. The house on fire merely represents Ghermans affirmation that he is human + his resolve to start helping his fellow man once again.

So in other words, the 3rd, "good" ending is actually the worst of the bunch.

THE MOON
Word for word, the dream dictionary states that "the moon represents some hidden, mysterious aspect of yourself". Perhaps this is where the myth of werewolves originated in the first place.
The symbol for your character level is interestingly a waxing moon, perhaps representing something on its way to reaching its fuller potential. Like your character, obviously.

THE BLOOD RED MOON

This ones freaky.

"When he opened the sixth seal, I looked, and behold, there was a great earthquake, and the sun became black as sackcloth, the full moon became like blood" - Rev 6:12

The moon is a symbol of femininity and red is a color of menstruation/fertility, combine the two and you get a BLOOD MOON which, for the longest time across many cultures is seen as a symbol for the womb......but in the book of revelations, a Blood Moon doesn't represent the birth of new life.... but rather a NEW WORLD, which is pretty fucking scary when not only the Moon presence emerged from this "womb" but also "The One Reborn" which was a mangled, bloody pile of tortured humanity....which should offer insight into what kind of "new world" the Great ones actually have planned for humanity.

=(
Even the Queen of Yharnam in the wedding dress might represent a marriage between humanity and the Great Ones, and the blood splattered all over her represents the inherent folly of trying to do such a thing.

So all things considered, the game is pretty deep and sophisticated as FUCK, if nothing else.

No no poon, you got me all wrong on this one, I think Bloodborne is the most fully realized, tightest most brilliant product Hidetaka motherfucking Miyazaki has ever created. But- I have now uncovered the reason why there are so many incongruities and not-fromsoft-quality omissions and balance issues in the game: i.e.: Sony forced from to release a beta version, 3/4s finished game to save themselves from having a horrible 1st quarter, profit wise.

The lack of beast mode: promised repeatedly by From in off-record press showings, the lack of ANY covenants whatsoever, the lack of ANY new game+ mechanics save for bosses having more HP, the huge lack of balance in weapon scaling, the fact that spawning in hunter's dream puts you into a black shadowy dialog mode you have to x button out of before you can talk to the doll and level up......

It goes on and on, this game is still in beta form.

Ludwig's holy greatsword was uber-buffed scaling wise so much more than any other weapon in the game it's obvious that the weapon itself was last-minute tweaked and upscaled to make the game easier for the masses.

I LOOOOOOVEthis game, but the evidence is overwhelming.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Thanks bro. But I ran out of sticky white stuff, and I have like 9000 souls and I'm running low on healing items. I may have to back track to the last warp or die and make my way back. :( Also, I decided to play barbarian style and don't have any magic. :(

I might be able to help Wednesday. But I'm not sure if I have a character your level. What level are you?

The shortcut is past all the mine guys on the right. Drop down all the planks. Halfway down if you have a certain world tendency there will be a hostile NPC. The worms at the bottom are good for farming rocks.

At the beginning of the stage down the elevator is a really good lizard nest. Past the hostile NPC characters. You need to not go there till you can one shot all the at once.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Anyone wanna play demon souls and join helping me try to kill the firelurker? ;) don't know if any of you guys still play that game?

What level are you? I have a few Demons Souls characters, though I don't remember their levels atm.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Hey guys thanks for the concern, but I passed him and now I'm at the fight with the king in The castle.
I know I'm late to this party...but... I gotta admit I'm loving this game as much as Dark Souls 1. I got bloodborne as an birthday gift and will play it soon, but demons souls is just pure awesome.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Hey guys thanks for the concern, but I passed him and now I'm at the fight with the king in The castle.
I know I'm late to this party...but... I gotta admit I'm loving this game as much as Dark Souls 1. I got bloodborne as an birthday gift and will play it soon, but demons souls is just pure awesome.

Demon's souls is great. It's my favorite. If you beat Flamelurker you can beat anyone.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Sony forced from to release a beta version, 3/4s finished game to save themselves from having a horrible 1st quarter, profit wise.

Ah yeah....excellent point and I agree.

Demon's souls is great. It's my favorite. If you beat Flamelurker you can beat anyone.

Holy fuck...he soloed him with melee? I've been playing this shit since the beginning and I don't think I could ever pull that off.
Honestly, so many of the bosses are just straight up shit with melee....like the Maneaters, for example.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member

Did you use Sticky White Stuff?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
We should get some peeps together and do a level one playthrough in demon's souls.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Flamelurker is definitely a tough boss, I think I always used water veil during the fight. But the boss that kicks my ass the hardest, without exception, is the Maneater(s). I normally just use the fog wall and archery exploit to kill one of them and have a much easier time with that fight.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
WTF Sorry I posted something from another thread in this one. A dumbass is me.

Wait what? I cant delete the image from this thread? Ugh, uber-not-paying-attention dumbass.

Edit: Ok good, I figured out how o delete the pic.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
finally beat my first chalice dungeon. I had a lot of fun.

Sometimes when the game is focused on simple objectives, it can be fun when the only motive is to kill and pull a lever. Kind of like a bizarro Zelda if Nintendo took it to a violent/gory path.

I'm having fun with this game. It's pretty damn good. Not sure if I would've bought a PS4 had I known then what I know now. I was hoping to walk into this seeing more of a progression of Dark Souls, but instead I feel that this is more of an appeal to the masses (even though it's still damn hard, thanks From Software!) I miss the armor, strategy, and wicked weapon creation that Dark Souls had. I feel Bloodborne is a stripping down of the formula of their previous games to focus more on combat and cool looking scenery and blood splatter.

That being said, I'm going to stop typing and get back to playing.

Last edited:

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
It's does matter. I generally do 2 points in my weapon scaling stat, then one each in vitality and endurance. Once my stats hit around 25 I start putting my weapon scaling in another weapon scale for the weapon I use. And continue the 1 vitality and endurance. I eventually when I feel my endurance and vitality is good go back to my first weapon stat and get it to 40, no points anywhere else.

As a general rule of thumb get your weapon scaling high for damage, and keep working on that endurance and vitality. As it is important. Very important. Especially that endurance. With good endurance you can run, and most importantly combo enemies to stagger and kill them without having to run away and come back.

It's worth noting soft and hard cap in stats. Soft is about 25, hard about 40. The higher a stat the less benefit you get from a level. For example you might get 3 attack per level in strength up to 25. Then after 25 get 1 or 2 points attack per level. After 40 it might take 2 levels to get 1 attack point.

It's going to be slow coming against bosses with low weapon scaling. You really need to focus more on strength. A lot of them will one shot you anyway. You want to land the least amount of blows possible to kill them and rely more on real life skill.

Just got around to playing again and this was very helpful. Thank you.

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
Ludwig's holy greatsword was uber-buffed scaling wise so much more than any other weapon in the game it's obvious that the weapon itself was last-minute tweaked and upscaled to make the game easier for the masses.

No, it wasn't. It's hidden behind an area which requires a key, which is only found from an entirely optional boss, which is only found in an area which directly tells the player not to visit. It might be overpowered in contrast to most weapons, but every Souls game receives weapon refinements over time.

Also, covenants are in, ng+ additions were a Dark Souls 2 B-team thing and weapon scaling is pretty much irrelevant thanks to the use of gems. This game might have some issues, but not for any of the things you've mentioned.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
With all due respect, wrong.

Ludwig's has been the most popular weapon since release day, and the whole "hidden" argument falls flat in a world where forums and faqs are almost mandatory for most gamers.

600+ damage AND IT's buffable? No no no no no no no, I think not. The only way to get another weapon to do that kind of damage is by making it +10 and grinding the chalice dungeons to get the endgame level gems.

I have something akin to circumstantial 'proof' of this- that I am going to spring on reddit and other places once I finish my article-length expose on why/how BB was forced to market to save Sony's financial ass.

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
Ludwig's has been the most popular weapon since release day

So what? Hunter's Axe outclasses every other starting weapon. It's popular too, does it need a nerf too?

and the whole "hidden" argument falls flat in a world where forums and faqs are almost mandatory for most gamers.

This isn't mandatory. Nobody is forcing anyone to play a game with a guide. 30% of Bloodborne's owners have yet to defeat the Cleric Beast, it's in the trophy information. You're just assuming that everyone is going to be looking up guides.

600+ damage AND IT's buffable? No no no no no no no, I think not. The only way to get another weapon to do that kind of damage is by making it +10 and grinding the chalice dungeons to get the endgame level gems.

The buffs only add +80 damage (Papers/Shell). Hypothetically, let's say it's nerfed. Would people still use it? Yes, because it's excellent in PvE and staggers most enemies out of their attack animations. My +10 Saw Cleaver outclasses my Ludwig's in damage simply because of DPS and moveset. Ludwig's moveset and damage are only as relevant as the player using them. People aren't using it because it's bad. But you're just assuming that Ludwig's is somehow a "get out of jail free card" without any real evidence (hint: because it's popular and because it does a lot of damage is not enough evidence).

You should probably do something constructive instead of wanting to post on Reddit. Play 1.00, that's messy. Enemies falling through floors, invisible NPCs, items without descriptions, unusable consumables, etc. The game was delayed for a reason. Hell, I have 5-6 videos of various bugs (all NPC dialogues being the same line of text, one enemy dying over and over, visceral attacks throwing enemies out of bounds (the <50 min niconico RTA speedrun actually does this on Father Gascoigne), bosses doing literally no attacks, NPCs falling to their deaths, etc) but hey that's minor stuff found in a very large project of a game. Bloodborne is a great game and FROM have continually supported all of the Souls games with frequent patches over the years. If they find something wrong, they'll correct it. Just look at Dark Souls 2, which is still receiving a ton of patches.

I have something akin to circumstantial 'proof' of this- that I am going to spring on reddit and other places once I finish my article-length expose on why/how BB was forced to market to save Sony's financial ass.

Okay, good luck with this. You should probably post it here so 55 people laugh at it instead of 55,000 though. I don't know much about Sony's financial status (nor do I care), but unless you can back your claims up with real citations, nobody is going to listen.

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
Beat BB two weekends ago and despite how much fat trimming they did, it felt like the one of the best first playthroughs of all the souls games. Although subsequent playthroughs I doubt will be as interesting since magic and pyromancy don't seem to have a place in BB. I know arcane and bloodtinge builds exist but they seem more like challenge builds as opposed to an alternate path.

As far as main weapon choice I loved my kirkhammer throughout the whole game. Ludwig's move set felt weird to me felt not as accurate and poking a boss with R2 to death wasn't my cup of tea. I loved the lumbering but exactness of the kirkhammer. Had some talks with others and they thought I was weird for not using the holy blade.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
I'm currently hanging out in the supposedly 'it' chalice for pvp- acc'd to fextralife and reddit: HIZZNGR3

My character name is 'Mutilator' :)

Edit: This is hella fun and I am having a blast. Any of you guys wanna start a private little PVP chalice dungeon? We can make the rules honorable and fair and all that. And let me repeat- I am not some badass alpha gamer or anything, I lost more often than not at Dark Souls 1 and 2, especially 2.

And since the connection times suck, I'm on my iPad posting waiting to duel.

My tally as of 1:30am PST- 2 wins, both used multiple blood vials, both got w-a-s-t-e-d too. And I'm not bragging, since I consider myself an average to slightly above souls games pvp player. I will update here, as I am loving thtis so far. My character was a bitch to level, but kills in terms of pvp burst damage: Lvl 113, vit- 40, skl- 34, BT- 40. Chikage +9 with good gems (not the best tho) and a +10 Evelyn with bone marrow ash. Chikage dam: 399, Evelyn dam: 333, un-buffed.

Update 1: Better match, opponent didn't use heals, even though my buffed gun takes off 3/4s of his health in one shot. He comes back, dodges through my R1s and staggers me even as I kill him. I have only a little health remaining, and give him the deep respect gesture. Still- I wish it had been a longer fight, the guy had skills.
Update 2: Very quick one sided match. Guy had my same rig too, chikage and evelyn. Had him down in about 7 or 8 seconds. The massive damage from the bone marrow ashed evelyn is insane, and I time it so that I hit the trigger the moment they come out of dodge, a roll or an attack.
Update 3: Another really one-sided match, just hammered the guy even through heals. I don't like these kind of wins, I want to feel like I could die at any moment.
Update 4: GREAT match, very close. Skilled player using Blade of Mercy, I was sure I was dead but he ended up falling right before he would have killed me. Thrilling.
Update 5: My winning streak ends. The guy was using the transformed reiterpallasch along with the repeating pistol. His dodging and timing was awesome. Long match, never got him with the evelyn+BMA combo. He had something like a third of his HP left. Awesome match.
Update 6: Another loss, this time to a Blade of Mercy user. The guy had serious skills, and that thing is fast. That's it for me tonight, had a lot of fun with this.

Last edited:

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Man, I picked a good time to buy this game. I have only played it for one day and the improved patch is coming out. Also, I am running this on a 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive with 30-35% faster loading speeds once the game is loaded into the NAND flash part of the drive a little. So, the patch will probably be 7 seconds faster loading for me. The load times are already pretty decent with the SSHD. As far as glitches go, I only got stuck and had to reset the game once from getting caught between some tombstones in online mode. I really hope the performance lag is smoothed out on some parts like the gatling gun shooting from the tower area.

I had a lot harder time with Demon's Souls than I am having with this game. So far, I have defeated the first four bosses in one entire day. I guess I am better with the parrying system vs. shield system from DS and faster paced action. The game is fun but also infuriating as fucking hell. I mean damn, do you die and have to travel back from where you spawn a shit ton!!! It is like I want to love this game and punch it in its taint at the same time.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
After playing quite a bit with the new patch, I can say it's quite a difference and much improved in terms of load times and the fact you no longer have to stare at a black screen with the bloodborne logo. They have tooltips that cycle on the load screen now. You really notice the difference when warping back o hunters dream, that's really fast now. I'll share any other differences I discover as I am pretty much obsessed with this game, lol.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
The load times make a world of difference now. Hunter's dream loads almost seamlessly. The world map load times are much faster, but still take a little time. As for the info in the loading screens, it actually tells you some very helpful stuff for the cryptic parts of the game. Going to play some more of it tonight to see if it runs smoother.