Bloodborne March 24th: Now I finally need a PS4

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I keep hearing that the SSHDs, especially the Seagate ones are prone to failing.

That's a persistent old myth from when SSDs were young and they actually did fail, like Burn-In on plasma TVs.

SSHDs are different. They're mechanical drives with SSD drives to use as a kind of secondary cache.

NAND flash still has limited write cycles, but during the course of normal use, it'll still probably last 5+ years.

I've had a Samsung SSD in my desktop since 2010.

Personally, I'm waiting for a 7200 RPM SSHD with a 16GB or higher SSD NAND and 1TB or more on the magnetic portion.

he loves God of War and Darksiders series. Will this game appeal to him?
the Souls series games are not really "action" titles like God of War or Darksiders.

You move a lot slower, every hit does more damage to the enemy, and you take way more damage from individual hits.

It's a methodical game, and requires patience, planning, and caution.

If you treat it like an action game, you're just going to die.

Last edited:

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I'm aware of the article.
If you read it, it mentions specifically that the worst drives used in the study were purchased refurbished.

They also were "green" models designed to spin down when not in use.
"Green" hard drives are TERRIBLE in just about every application except maybe as a NAS for movies and music, or cheap storage that isn't accessed often.

The Seagate SSHDs have a "projected failure rate" of 0.48% per year.

Regardless, Toshiba also produces an SSHD if you want to avoid Seagate.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
I got a question for anyone who played Bloodborne. I'm thinking of giving it as a gift to my brother. He's never played the souls series( neither have I) but he loves God of War and Darksiders series. Will this game appeal to him?

I think so yes. Its in that realm Of both of thise games, a little more rpgish though with equipment and statistics and the difficulty is up there but if you liked darksiders and wanted a much more in depth type of game then he will enjoy it

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
My friend had a Sony rep bring some PS4 pods to his shop this evening for a pre-release Bloodborne event. Although I don't own a Quad and have no intention of buying one in the near future, having enjoyed Dark Souls, I was intrigued to give this a go.

From the 30 mins or so I played, the game was immense.

It had the dark, brooding feel of a Resident Evil game mixed with classic, English horror heritage. It works splendidly. Like it or not, I got a real RE4 vibe from it tbh. That's a good thing in my book.

Combat was much more satisfying and useful than what I have encountered in Dark Souls. The standard weapon was very satisfying to use, however, I really didn't use the gun all that much myself.

I don't really want to say too much, but I was really impressed with it. The FIRST game on PS4 that owners can truly justify their console purchase against.

I personally enjoyed what I played more than Dark Souls, overall.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Oh, for funsies, when you get to the Plain Doll (that lets you level up) do some gestures in front of her after you gain 1 insight.

See what happens.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I wish these type of games would play better. I love the way Dark Souls looks, and the combat looks awesome as well until you have to control the character and everything just falls apart. I know is a preference thing but the way you attack in Dark Souls is so alienating for me. It feels clunky and the whole difficult curve isn't on the game being challenging, no, it's just a barf fest to control thus the difficulty.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I wish these type of games would play better. I love the way Dark Souls looks, and the combat looks awesome as well until you have to control the character and everything just falls apart. I know is a preference thing but the way you attack in Dark Souls is so alienating for me. It feels clunky and the whole difficult curve isn't on the game being challenging, no, it's just a barf fest to control thus the difficulty.

The controls are fucked up until they aren't.

Anyway, after getting burned by DS2 I won't be jumping up Froms ass anytime soon...think I'll stick to youtube playthroughs until "Bloodborne: Hemophiliac Edition" arrives with the inevitable DLCs, weapon, costume and stage packs bundled with it.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The went right over my head. The controls are fucked. "Oh let's attack with the R1 button! Yay totally, that makes so much sense!" "Watch the clunky way he swings that sword, omg so awesome!"

ThGame

Geese's Thug

clearly not a vetran of these games. The controls are boss. anyone who doesnt plan on spending an hour or two to get into it is just denying themselves one of the best game experiences available in gaming today. everything about this game is dead on.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Everyone has their opinion and why these games have so many different builds for your character. I prefer lighter/stamina builds over heavy and slower brute strength style builds. If ya don't like it, you just don't like it, not gonna force shit down someone's throat.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yeah maybe I'm out of my element here, but my issues with these games is mainly the controls and also how dorky your character looks, luckily you don't see their face constantly 'cause what a turn off that would be.

This might come across rather ignorant but I just wonder what is stopping these developer to create a combat system as good as Ninja Gaiden Black but with all the shenanigans these games are known for. I just require more speed, more frantic combat, more of everything! That slow weapon swinging and the dorky strafing just alienate the shit out of me.

I want to get into the games but Jesus, I just don't see the appeal. I'm always hoping someone would wise up and develop something insane. I was hoping Monster Hunter was gonna be it but it's just as bad if not worse. All this games with great worlds and tons of weapons and cool stuff are just riddled with meh combat. So sad.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The went right over my head. The controls are fucked. "Oh let's attack with the R1 button! Yay totally, that makes so much sense!" "Watch the clunky way he swings that sword, omg so awesome!"

I understand where you're coming from. I feel the same about 2d fighters when they try and shove Strongs on the shoulders, and other things like dust moves. It's really awkward.

But...

If you played the games enough, like a few hours, you would see you have to use both analogs so much to move and control the camera that pressing the face buttons is really hard to do in the heat of combat. It would not be logical at all to attack any other way with a standard controller.

I hate using shoulder buttons. But for some reason in souls games it does not bother me at all. I think because it just feels right, and you only press one shoulder button at a time, unlike fighters where you need to fluidly press shoulders to do complex combos.

You really should go back and give it a try. Just do what hard core gamers do. Adapt.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I understand where you're coming from. I feel the same about 2d fighters when they try and shove Strongs on the shoulders, and other things like dust moves. It's really awkward.

But...

If you played the games enough, like a few hours, you would see you have to use both analogs so much to move and control the camera that pressing the face buttons is really hard to do in the heat of combat. It would not be logical at all to attack any other way with a standard controller.

I hate using shoulder buttons. But for some reason in souls games it does not bother me at all. I think because it just feels right, and you only press one shoulder button at a time, unlike fighters where you need to fluidly press shoulders to do complex combos.

You really should go back and give it a try. Just do what hard core gamers do. Adapt.
I have to agree, playing fighters with a D-pad is a death trap, specially if you have to use the shoulder and even more so if you have to use the left shoulder, forget that.

I might give it another go. Hardcore gamers...pfft.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member

Left trigger raises a shield, right trigger swings a weapon....how is that not intuitive for such a game?

It's not devil may cry or bayonetta....the game is less about muscle memory and combos and more about knowledge/experience/tactics/preparation/managing enemy placement/weapon range....the games are quite literally akin to using a lone pawn on the chessboard and wiping out the other side before bringing down the king.

That's what made the games so cool; you're just some guy who starts out as a scared, weak pussy and you finish the game as a fearless badass.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I like all that you said, I just want more control over my character, the muscle memory and combos I can do without, I just want tight controls. The swinging of the sword is so cumbersome, as if the guy never swung a damn sword in his life. Trust me, I want to get into these games, I've had conversations with RepX about it countless times. The atmosphere and presentation of these games, specifically Dark Souls, is out of control, I love it, it truly makes me sad that it's such a horrible experience for me.

It's not the challenge mind you. I love challenging games and I'm stubborn when it comes to beating a game, I'm not afraid of dying a million times to get better if the game keeps me engaged. I'm not gonna brag on what games I've beaten and how hard they are, I'm just telling you I can handle difficult, if I can't engage with a game it's not gonna happen though. I understand I need more time with Dark Souls, I will give it another shot, hopefully for the better.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I have to agree, playing fighters with a D-pad is a death trap, specially if you have to use the shoulder and even more so if you have to use the left shoulder, forget that.

I might give it another go. Hardcore gamers...pfft.

I hope you do. I commend you for being willing to try. The thing that gets me are the Souls bashers who never played the damn game. Or tried to devil may cry mash button and gave up on the first level cause they sucked.

I was at another members house a few months ago who I won't name.. Cough "terry330 and Jon", and we were talking about dark souls and they were saying it sucks. And I said have you guys even played it? And Jon said that's that game 16-bit said the first levels impossible. And I said how can you bash it if you never even tried it?

I don't think they will be trying it. I love the guys but damn, give a game a shot before bashing it. Put in a few solid hours before you say you don't like a game.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Once you know the game, at least in Dark Souls, a lot of it is pretty damn easy. You need to memorize enemy locations and patterns like Sp00n said. The first time through can be quite jarring.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I have all the intentions to spend a day diligently with Dark Souls and see what comes from it.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Left trigger raises a shield, right trigger swings a weapon....how is that not intuitive for such a game?

It's not devil may cry or bayonetta....the game is less about muscle memory and combos and more about knowledge/experience/tactics/preparation/managing enemy placement/weapon range....the games are quite literally akin to using a lone pawn on the chessboard and wiping out the other side before bringing down the king.

That's what made the games so cool; you're just some guy who starts out as a scared, weak pussy and you finish the game as a fearless badass.

That's so true. I use to be like Oh My Gerd, Asylum Demonz, I'm gonna die.

Last time I fought him I went in butt naked, and literally raped Asylum Demon in the ass hole with my 2 handed Zweihander in like 3 hits.

Cause if you're not swinging for his ass hole you're doing it wrong.

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
and also how dorky your character looks

If you can't create a badass in a souls game, you aren't trying hard enough!

pringles.jpg

I wonder if someone here can make this guy in Bloodborne and take a pic of it for me?

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
If I had a druple, I'd totally start an NG.c "Pringles" Co-op clan....Order of the Curleh Moustache.

Same name, different titles (like Father Pringles, Judge Pringles, Mr. Pringles, Sir Pringles, Doctor Pringles, Esq. etc)

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
The swinging of the sword is so cumbersome, as if the guy never swung a damn sword in his life

That's more or less the point.
Except for Demons Souls, your character in these games is NOT a professional soldier, they're some random shmuck.
Also, if you like faster weapons, try daggers and small parrying shields/daggers or twinblades in Dark Souls 2.
They're significantly faster than other weapons.

You can also go for fist type weapons or claws, and in Dark Souls 1 and 2 it's 100% possible to play the entire game barehanded and do flurries of hits.