Bloodborne March 24th: Now I finally need a PS4

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
ok..so here it is. A different take on this game:

this game fucking sucks a huge dick

i am all about a challenge and 'hard' games, but this game is has done my head in. My main problem with this game is not the difficulty itself - its the repetitive enemy encounters between checkpoints. The load times are horrendous (im told its going to be addressed in a upcoming patch). And when you die, why does this game force you to repeat encounters you've already figured out just to get back to the one you haven't? Why must you grind out a ton of levels in order to stand a chance of beating a boss encounter? I've already put 15 or so hours into this game and i havent accomplished anything outside of 5-6 levels and some level ups to my weapon.

Yeah, i get it - ive never played a 'Souls' game before, but i really don't get the praise this game is getting. It looks like shit, plays like shit, it doesnt reward you for progression, it takes 45 seconds of your life multiplied by the thousands of times you will die in this game.

im short. i hate it. If you're not a 'Souls' guy, avoid this like the plague.

Is there not a 'bonfire' like save mechanism so you can manually save?

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member

i am all about a challenge and 'hard' games, but this game is has done my head in. My main problem with this game is not the difficulty itself - its the repetitive enemy encounters between checkpoints. The load times are horrendous (im told its going to be addressed in a upcoming patch). And when you die, why does this game force you to repeat encounters you've already figured out just to get back to the one you haven't? Why must you grind out a ton of levels in order to stand a chance of beating a boss encounter? I've already put 15 or so hours into this game and i havent accomplished anything outside of 5-6 levels and some level ups to my weapon.

Yeah, i get it - ive never played a 'Souls' game before, but i really don't get the praise this game is getting. It looks like shit, plays like shit, it doesnt reward you for progression, it takes 45 seconds of your life multiplied by the thousands of times you will die in this game.

What are you? Casul?

jepjepjep

King's Dry Cleaner

Don't give up yet man. There are some shortcuts that make it really easy and quick to get back to the boss. Maybe explore the level a little more to make sure you've unlocked them. The boss is tough, but it's manageable even without leveling up your character. You shouldn't have to grind at all. Try a different strategy, maybe use some molotov cocktails. The bosses in souls games are really about knowing when to attack/when to retreat/when you have time to heal. This game is rough because there are no shields too so you really have to figure out how to dodge and retreat from attacks. The mechanics took me a while to get a hang of and I've played a bunch of dark souls, even done a SL1 run. I died a bunch of times on the first two bosses, so i can imagine it being pretty punishing for new players. It's really awesome though once you get the hang of it.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
By the way, lantus, I take it you didn't find the shortcut in the level? Once you open it you can run straight from the spawn point to the boss easily, by passing most of the enemies.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

It's definitely not for everyone.

I really don't see how you can say it looks like shit though. It looks amazing.

I think you are trying to hard. You don't need to grind levels. Especially when there is Co op help. The main focus for a first time player should be vitality and weapon upgrades. You can just run to every boss gate in like 1 min.

Also, you are in no way forced to fight enemies over. In fact some areas are so populated by mobs you just need to run past parts you've already explored.

The game is only has hard as you make it. You have to make educated guesses whether to take on a large group, or come back later when you're more powerful to explore fully.

I use to do the same stuff and make the game way harder than it needs to be.

How far did you make it? 15 hours seems like a very long time to only gain 5-6 soul levels especially if you are grinding.

Last edited:

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
sure you can run past stuff but if you keep dying - your ammo and potions aren't replenished so you typically need to farm them

maybe im just not doing it right idk, but so far this game is lost on me. I havent given up on it. I just am not "getting it"

As far as the graphics go, amazing is a stretch. The Order: 1886 looked amazing, this doesn't. IMO of course

ThGame

Geese's Thug
just nearing the end of my bloodborne ng+ playthrough. Ive actually found this game to be the easiest in the series so far. I think mainly because its kind of catored to the build style i usually play in dark souls, faster high dps lots of dodging (never understood the op shield thing as i rarely used one to potential). The checkpoints are shorter as well. I like the pacing and balance this game just flows a bit better than the souls games but it lacks quite a bit in end game content as there wasnt really much of anything in ng+ beyond the opposite choices i made in the first run. Just a heads up for people expecting alot of new stuff in second or third playthroughs.

Last edited:

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
sure you can run past stuff but if you keep dying - your ammo and potions aren't replenished so you typically need to farm them

maybe im just not doing it right idk, but so far this game is lost on me. I havent given up on it. I just am not "getting it"

There's no reward without risk.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
Keep dying early in the game. I'm pretty sure I can get by that mob by the fire easily (yet still time consuming). Snuck by that beast pounding on the door, but got killed by the next mob with dogs.
Will try again later.
Hope the load time patch gets here soon.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

As far as the graphics go, amazing is a stretch. The Order: 1886 looked amazing, this doesn't. IMO of course

I admit, farming ammo and potions is very annoying. It is one of my 3 main gripes. You really should meet some friends here and do some Co op. That's where the game shines. I would be willing to make a character just to level when you're on to help.

Also, I would not judge souls games on bloodborne. It's quite different, and so far in my opinion not as good as demon or dark souls. You really should give dark souls a try before you become a souls hater. This game is easier, but the beginning is really rough, especially if you are not going strength. I admit I struggled at first. The first stage is really tough if you try and kill everything.

You will learn later that soul level doesn't matter much. Cause most bosses one shot or two shot you no matter the level. It relies much more on skill, item use, and weapon upgrades. Then once you get a playthrough in, you will see how you built a character wrong, and next game dominate. The first playthrough in a shouls game is learning to play. Every one after is dominating the game with perfect builds.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Keep dying early in the game. I'm pretty sure I can get by that mob by the fire easily (yet still time consuming). Snuck by that beast pounding on the door, but got killed by the next mob with dogs.
Will try again later.
Hope the load time patch gets here soon.

Just run past the dogs, skip the werewolves. The first level is really hard. Fund the boss and you will finally be a to level up

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Used the one-time psn 10% discount and purchased the game.

I'm still waiting for my new hdd but a discount is a discount.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
See, Germy? This guy gets it.

Jon

Get outta here Jon. We don't want yer kind round herr. Now skidaddle, before I exit my ghetto house and step on to my ghetto brick road, and drive to shitty Xenia and steal your SNK4EVR license plate that you adore so much and take a giant dump on it.

I know FROM games are more for adults and don't feature half naked Anime chick's to spank off to, in the same lame ass boring story, teenager save world from evil. That also feature spikey hair boy that might be girl who is suppose to be funny but is incredibly annoying. Which by the way are normally created for teenagers, and feature incredibly boring combat that requires no skill whatsoever. But the Soul games are still OK .

I know some people enjoy the same exact book their whole lives with only a different cover. But I for one enjoy a game that takes skill and challenges you mentally.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Alright I just saw a video but it looks like any other hack and slash third person adventure game. What's the hype on about?

ThGame

Geese's Thug
Alright I just saw a video but it looks like any other hack and slash third person adventure game. What's the hype on about?

Must play to understand the greatness. Its in the gameplay, back to the roots!

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

It's a hack n slash like 85% of every other game released. But it's just hard. Not cheap hard, but mentally hard. You're not a one man army. You have to calculate attacks, and think before you leap.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
The thing about bloodborne being 'easier' than the other 'souls' games is that that's an opinion coming from us fans of the series. If you haven't played the previous games, then bloodborne will seem really difficult to a lot of players. Playing demon's and dark souls, you have to get past the steep learning curve, learn the mechanics of the combat system, and in doing so you start feeling incredibly badass. The whole joy of the souls games (new game) for many is later returning to enemies that stomped you earlier and wasting their asses like you're some sort of god.

Last night I first got to yahar'gul-unseen villiage and it's easily one of the the craziest, coolest looking things in all the 'souls' games. Also- it's fooking hard! Like, so hard most people say online to just run through the level without fighting anything but the boss. Up until this level, I have breezed through the last few levels with my upgraded weapons and runes. Kind of pisses me off because the level is so cool and utterly alien to look at.

Speaking of weapons, I have found so far that an upgraded Ludwig's holy blade is BY FAR the most powerful weapon in the game up until the point I am at now (the unseen village after the moon has turned red). My next most powerful weapons (all +6 with good gems) do around 200-ish damage (saw spear, reiterpallasch and blades of mercy), my +8 ludwig's holy blade does 427 damage (my stats are strength-30/skill-26') And the holy blade is fast, even in greatsword form it swings fast and hits hard, cannot recommend this weapon enough.

My internet connection is still down (7 solid days now), but the guy is on the side of the house finally fixing it now. I will post a bunch more once I'm finally off this iPad in an hour or two.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The thing about bloodborne being 'easier' than the other 'souls' games is that that's an opinion coming from us fans of the series. If you haven't played the previous games, then bloodborne will seem really difficult to a lot of players. Playing demon's and dark souls, you have to get past the steep learning curve, learn the mechanics of the combat system, and in doing so you start feeling incredibly badass. The whole joy of the souls games (new game) for many is later returning to enemies that stomped you earlier and wasting their asses like you're some sort of god.

Last night I first got to yahar'gul-unseen villiage and it's easily one of the the craziest, coolest looking things in all the 'souls' games. Also- it's fooking hard! Like, so hard most people say online to just run through the level without fighting anything but the boss. Up until this level, I have breezed through the last few levels with my upgraded weapons and runes. Kind of pisses me off because the level is so cool and utterly alien to look at.

Speaking of weapons, I have found so far that an upgraded Ludwig's holy blade is BY FAR the most powerful weapon in the game up until the point I am at now (the unseen village after the moon has turned red). My next most powerful weapons (all +6 with good gems) do around 200-ish damage (saw spear, reiterpallasch and blades of mercy), my +8 ludwig's holy blade does 427 damage (my stats are strength-30/skill-26') And the holy blade is fast, even in greatsword form it swings fast and hits hard, cannot recommend this weapon enough.

I have no idea where I'm going with this skill build. I already pumped 26 points into it. I'm with going to have to go blades of mercy or another skill weapon. I really regret going skill my first playthrough. I thought there would be a good amount of weapons to choose from early. I have no idea I would be caning it through 3/4 of the game.

I think I'm going to look into a bloodtinge gun build next for fun, that uses the katana

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
P
I have no idea where I'm going with this skill build. I already pumped 26 points into it. I'm with going to have to go blades of mercy or another skill weapon. I really regret going skill my first playthrough. I thought there would be a good amount of weapons to choose from early. I have no idea I would be caning it through 3/4 of the game.

I think I'm going to look into a bloodtinge gun build next for fun, that uses the katana

I did a 'quality' build for the most part, and got strength up to 30 so I could use the cannon (upgraded to +5 atm), even though it costs 10 bullets a shot it is SUPER useful against bosses. With Ludwig's holy blade and the cannon, it made the shadows of yarnham bosses easy.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!

This sounds a lot like pre-patch Shrine of Amana in Dark Souls II.
I remember when I first got there and it was so unlike anything I've ever seen in another Souls game.

then the homing magic missiles came.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
Am I the only person that thinks of Nightmare Creatures for the Nintendo 64/PS1 when they hear Bloodborne?
I haven't beatwn the cleric beast yet. Just farming and grinding to get better with the controls. Such a fun game.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I got the game but I also bought two indie games that have eluded 360 owners:

The Binding of Issac: Rebirth

Hotline Miami 1

So I haven't really delved into it completely yet. I will say I'm not so sure how I feel about the fast paced combat so far. I do like that to counter all the chips at your health that it appears you pick up blood vials on the ease. The hub system is cool, not as seamless as Dark Souls though, which has one of the best hubs I've ever used in a game ... period. I might be too early to say, but I like how the gate unlocking is connecting the playfield.

The graphical upgrade shows. It looks nice and the blood soaked protagonist (who I named Le Roker) is pretty badass. I have so much work to do lately that I don't think I'll be able to get to this game until the weekend.

Hey, did I mention that Hotline Miami is pretty badass?

edit:

Also, Got Best Buy to match Amazon.com's Bloodborne bundle, sans 20 dollar gift card.

Last edited: