Board game suggestions

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
We have an event coming up with some relatives soon and board games are the buzz word. Usually I'll go straight to trivial pursuit or scrabble but one of the players isn't big on those kinds of games. He's been over before and we've played pictionary, which is fine, but there's only so many times you can play it.

So what would you suggest? It will be boozy, adult, and not too cerebral. Before anyone suggests cards against humanity, it's shit, so not that thanks. I also don't want to play twister with my brother in law.

Edit - what's Risk like?

Edit edit - has anyone done one of those home murder mystery things? Is it all a bit gay?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
We have two excellent boardgame threads, the one started by me is a bit older and a another one started by some faggot too dumb to bump my thread, is a bit newer.

Are the people you would play with generally good sports?

You don’t want to play Risk. Takes too long.

How many players you have will probably be the most helpful for us to give recommendations.

Do you want everyone vs each other, teams of people versus other teams, or even everyone working together to collectively win?

My random suggestion is a social deduction game like Secret Hitler. That one is great with booze.

EDIT: I see it’s with relatives so that might not work.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Axis & Allies
Monopoly
UNO

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Monopoly or Cluedo would be my choices.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Carcassonne is still my favorite board game and I’ve played quite a few with my local group. It’s been around for a while so there’s a shit load of expansions which aren’t really needed. The base game plays 5 and some of the expansions offer a 6th.

It’s easy enough to get into where a new player can be taught the rules in a matter of minutes. Each player draws a tile on their turn and plays it in compliance with the rules so every time you play it’s totally different. There is some strategy and fuckery to be had but it’s a rather light hearted game that doesn’t require a degree from an Ivy League college to comprehend.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
1678592903903.png

This game is great, though not technically a board game. Very similar experience to Jenga.
1678592834392.png

StevenK

10 Year Member
We have two excellent boardgame threads, the one started by me is a bit older and a another one started by some faggot too dumb to bump my thread, is a bit newer.

Are the people you would play with generally good sports?

You don’t want to play Risk. Takes too long.

How many players you have will probably be the most helpful for us to give recommendations.

Do you want everyone vs each other, teams of people versus other teams, or even everyone working together to collectively win?

My random suggestion is a social deduction game like Secret Hitler. That one is great with booze.

EDIT: I see it’s with relatives so that might not work.
Good advice and points. To throw more light on it we're looking at 4-6 of us depending on an undecided couple, which would scupper secret hitler which I love the sound of. Interested though, why might that not work if it's with relatives?

StevenK

10 Year Member
Carcassonne is still my favorite board game and I’ve played quite a few with my local group. It’s been around for a while so there’s a shit load of expansions which aren’t really needed. The base game plays 5 and some of the expansions offer a 6th.

It’s easy enough to get into where a new player can be taught the rules in a matter of minutes. Each player draws a tile on their turn and plays it in compliance with the rules so every time you play it’s totally different. There is some strategy and fuckery to be had but it’s a rather light hearted game that doesn’t require a degree from an Ivy League college to comprehend.
Carcassonne is currently looking like the likely choice, thanks for this one

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
- dominion
- splendor
- 7 wonders
- codenames
- monopoly deal (better than regular monopoly)

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
These look great but I was hoping I might be able to source some games that don't smell of a dead persons house
Yeah I think the dog fight game was last published 60 years ago... But I'll have you know my 90 year old grandparents who bought that game are still alive!