Boxing thread

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Somebody gon git punched in the face tonight

UFC 257 on ESPN PPV headlined by McGregor vs Poirier II, preshow starts at 7:00 Eastern on ESPN and ESPN+
Showtime Championship Boxing headlined by Angelo Leo (c) (20-0-0-0) vs Stephen Fulton (18-0-0-0) for the WBO super bantamweight world championship at 9:00 Eastern
Bare Knuckle Kingdom 1 from Thailand on the BK TV app at 9:00 Eastern

famicommander

15 Year Member
Bare Knuckle Kingdom 1 was canceled due to COVID and they didn't say anything until 10 minutes before the event was supposed to start.

But Stephen Fulton vs Angelo Leo was a great fight. Not particularly close on the scorecards but it was an all-action war. Fulton just happened to be a tiny bit better in almost every round, and he's the new world champ because of it.

Fulton picked up his 8th win vs an undefeated opponent out of 19 pro fights. Most guys are protected by promoters on their way to their first world title shots, cherry picking aging vets and bums, but Fulton did it the hard way.

As for the UFC, it was hilarious to see McGregor get KTFO. He has now lost 4 of his last 7 overall fights, 2 by KO and 2 by submission:
KO L vs Poirier
TKO W vs Cerrone
Submission L vs Nurmagomedov
TKO L vs sleepwalking Floyd Mayweather (boxing match, but your brain doesn't care what sport it gets damaged in)
TKO W vs Eddie Alvarez
MD W vs Nate Diaz
Submission L vs Nate Diaz

famicommander

15 Year Member
Jake Paul's next opponent has been announced and it's at least an actual fighter this time.

He will face Ben Askren, who is a former UFC fighter and a champion in Bellator and ONE FC. He is mostly a wrestler, having won two NCAA national titles and competed in the Olympics.

We'll see how seriously Paul has been taking his boxing training. So far he has only fought a basketball player and some Youtubers.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Canelo is so confident he's going to beat Avni Yildrim next month that he has already agreed to fight Billy Joe Saunders on Cinco de Mayo. Can't say I blame him as I don't like Yildrim's chances.

Canelo's WBA (Super), WBC, and The Ring World Super Middleweight Titles vs Saunders' WBO World Super Middleweight Title.

The other champion at 168 is the IBF's Caleb Plant, who is facing former champion Caleb Truax in a mandatory on Fox on Saturday night.

In theory this should free up the winners to unify the entire division in the second half of the year. Plant vs Canelo for all the belts. And it has a high likelihood of happening now that Canelo is a free agent; he doesn't have to put up with promotional or network politics.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Manny Pacquiao has been stripped of his WBA (Super) Welterweight World Title due to inactivity. The WBA named him champion in recess, which means he has the right to challenge for the title whenever he gets back to full time boxing.

WBA (Regular) champion Yordenis Ugas has been promoted to (Super) champion and is likely being positioned to unify with WBC and IBF champion Errol Spence Jr. Both fighters are under the PBC banner and both want the fight so it should be an easy one to make.

This is actually good news. Pac hasn't fought in two years and Ugas got robbed in his previous title challenge against Shawn Porter, who himself lost that belt in a unification with Spence.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Tomorrow night is Knuckle Mania, the biggest BKFC event so far.

The card:
Paige VanZant (bare knuckle debut, 8-5 in MMA) vs Britain Hart (1-2 in bare knuckle, 4-4-3 in boxing)
Johnny Bedford (c) (5-0 in bare knuckle, 23-14-1-1 in MMA) vs Dat Nguyen (2-0 in bare knuckle, 20-3 in boxing) for the world lightweight championship

Lorenzo Hunt (4-1 in bare knuckle, 3-5 in MMA) vs Robert Morrow (0-1 in bare knuckle, 4-2 in kickboxing)
Martin Brown (1-0 in bare knuckle, 1-0 in boxing, 14-5 in MMA) vs Zachary Zane (bare knuckle debut, 14-9 in MMA)
Travis Thompson (2-3 in bare knuckle, 7-12-3 in boxing) vs David Allen Morgan (bare knuckle debut, can't find any info on his background)
John Chalbeck (bare knuckle debut, 9-0 in boxing, 4-0 in MMA) vs Greg Bono (bare knuckle debut, 1-1 in boxing)
Chris Jensen (1-0 in bare knuckle, 2-2 in MMA) vs Dillon Cleckler (1-0 in bare knuckle, 11-1 in MMA)
Jarod Grant (2-0 in bare knuckle) vs Brandon Lambert (possibly his combat sports debut?)
Taylor Starling (bare knuckle debut, 1-1 in boxing, 0-2 in kickboxing, 1-1 in MMA) vs Charisa Sigala (bare knuckle debut, 4-2 in MMA)
Jeff Bailey (debut) vs Andrew James Lipton (0-3 in bare knuckle, 0-3 in boxing)
Chris Leben (2-1 in bare knuckle, 22-12 in MMA) vs Quentin Henry (2-0 in bare knuckle, 1-0 in boxing, 12-6 in MMA)
Haim Gozali (bare knuckle debut, 13-6 in MMA) vs John McAllister (0-4 in bare knuckle, 0-2 in MMA)

Biggest fights in bold. Kickboxing records may not be accurate as they're always hard to track down.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Great card tonight from BKFC.

Dat Nguyen got the win over Bedford. Scores were 48-47, 48-47, 49-46. I had it 49-46. Bedford looked a LOT bigger than Dat in the ring but Dat was just a higher class of fighter. And Dat was only able to train 2 days per week for this fight because his family restaurant had to lay off most of their staff due to COVID. Now he's the undisputed BKFC and Police Gazette lineal bare knuckle boxing world lightweight champion.

Paige VanZant got beat by a single mom with a day job. Disaster for BKFC, who signed her to a multi-fight, multi-million dollar contract.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The opening women's match was way better than PVZ vs Hart, too:
EthI7mlVcAAScmR

Before the fight they looked like this:
pjimage-2021-01-11T094856.296.jpg

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
Man have I been out of the loop of boxing. The last Pay Per View I saw was when Oscar De La Hoya beat Roberto Duran, and that was maybe 1999 , 2000 or 2001 so it was a while back. While I really haven't kept up with boxing (more of a UFC guy), I was always aware of Floyd Mayweathers greatness. Who are the champions now in the different weight classes?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Man have I been out of the loop of boxing. The last Pay Per View I saw was when Oscar De La Hoya beat Roberto Duran, and that was maybe 1999 , 2000 or 2001 so it was a while back. While I really haven't kept up with boxing (more of a UFC guy), I was always aware of Floyd Mayweathers greatness. Who are the champions now in the different weight classes?

If you want to know who the champions of all the alphabet soup governing bodies are:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_boxing_rankings

The TBRB are considered the current keepers of the lineal or "true" championships. The Ring has lost much of its credibility since De La Hoya bought it but they're still better than the alphabet soups. The IBO is not a major sanctioning body but they're listed anyway. The WBA is a big joke crowning 3 or more champs per division, the WBC is quickly following them. The IBF follows their own rules the best but their rankings suck so they often end up derailing big fights to make their champions face garbage mandatory challengers. The WBO pretty much does what ever Bob Arum and/or Frank Warren tell them to but at least they usually only crown one champ at a time.

Curent lineal champions:
Heavyweight - Tyson Fury (beat Deontay Wilder for vacant title)
Cruiserweight - Mairis Breidis (beat Yuniel Dorticos for vacant title)
Light Heavyweight - Artur Beterbiev (beat Oleksandr Gvozdyk for the title)
Super Middleweight - vacant
Middleweight - Canelo Alvarez, but it will likely be vacated soon as he doesn't fight at that weight anymore
Super Welterweight - vacant
Welterweight - vacant
Super Lightweight - vacant
Lightweight - Teofimo Lopez (also the undisputed WBA (super), WBC (franchise), IBF, WBO champion (beat Vasyl Lomachenko for the vacant title in a unification))
Super Featherweight - vacant
Featherweight - vacant
Super Bantamweight - Guillermo Rigondeaux (beat Nonito Donaire way back in 2013; will likely vacate due to leaving weight class soon)
Bantamweight - vacant
Super Flyweight - Juan Francisco Estrada (beat Srisaket Sor Runvisai)
Flyweight - vacant
Light Flyweight - vacant
Minimumweight - vacant

EDIT:
Also, De La Hoya never fought Roberto Duran. He was from the previous generation. You may be thinking of his fight with the great Julio Cesar Chavez in 1998.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Sad news today.

Former undisputed heavyweight champion and 1976 Olympic Gold Medalist Leon Spinks has died of cancer at age 67.

Spinks is the father of former undisputed welterweight champion Cory Spinks and older brother of former undisputed light heavyweight champion and heavyweight champion Michael Spinks. Leon is best remembered for his historic upset of Muhammad Ali. Ali was coming off a win over Earnie Shavers and picked the green prospect Spinks, then 7-0-1, for what was supposed to be an easy title defense. Spinks had never even gone past 10 rounds going into the fight, but he was able to pull off a 15 round split decision upset over the undisputed champion Ali. It ended a 14 fight winning streak for Ali that included Joe Frazier twice, George Foreman, Ken Norton twice, Ron Lyle, and Shavers.

Ali would beat Spinks in the rematch before retiring, then briefly unretiring to be beaten by Larry Holmes and then Trevor Berbick, both heavyweight champions themselves, before retiring for good.

Last edited:

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
If you want to know who the champions of all the alphabet soup governing bodies are:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_boxing_rankings

The TBRB are considered the current keepers of the lineal or "true" championships. The Ring has lost much of its credibility since De La Hoya bought it but they're still better than the alphabet soups. The IBO is not a major sanctioning body but they're listed anyway. The WBA is a big joke crowning 3 or more champs per division, the WBC is quickly following them. The IBF follows their own rules the best but their rankings suck so they often end up derailing big fights to make their champions face garbage mandatory challengers. The WBO pretty much does what ever Bob Arum and/or Frank Warren tell them to but at least they usually only crown one champ at a time.

Curent lineal champions:
Heavyweight - Tyson Fury (beat Deontay Wilder for vacant title)
Cruiserweight - Mairis Breidis (beat Yuniel Dorticos for vacant title)
Light Heavyweight - Artur Beterbiev (beat Oleksandr Gvozdyk for the title)
Super Middleweight - vacant
Middleweight - Canelo Alvarez, but it will likely be vacated soon as he doesn't fight at that weight anymore
Super Welterweight - vacant
Welterweight - vacant
Super Lightweight - vacant
Lightweight - Teofimo Lopez (also the undisputed WBA (super), WBC (franchise), IBF, WBO champion (beat Vasyl Lomachenko for the vacant title in a unification))
Super Featherweight - vacant
Featherweight - vacant
Super Bantamweight - Guillermo Rigondeaux (beat Nonito Donaire way back in 2013; will likely vacate due to leaving weight class soon)
Bantamweight - vacant
Super Flyweight - Juan Francisco Estrada (beat Srisaket Sor Runvisai)
Flyweight - vacant
Light Flyweight - vacant
Minimumweight - vacant

EDIT:
Also, De La Hoya never fought Roberto Duran. He was from the previous generation. You may be thinking of his fight with the great Julio Cesar Chavez in 1998.

Yeah, I was wrong I actually saw that last Fury vs. Wilder matchup, though it may have been a rebroadcast.

RIP Leon Spinks, one of the big names of his time!

famicommander

15 Year Member
Gennadiy Golovkin has entered talks with Ryota Murata for a title unification in Tokyo.

Golovkin has the IBF and IBO middleweight titles while Murata has the WBA (Super) title. Charlo has the WBC title, Andrade has the WBO. I just checked TBRB and the lineal title is actually vacant, so Canelo's no longer champion.

Currently the rankings are
1. Golovkin
2. Charlo
3. Andrade
4. Derevyanchenko
5. Murata

Golovkin and Charlo already beat Derevyanchenko. If Golovkin fights Murata then Charlo should fight Andrade. Then the winners could fight for all the belts and the lineal and Ring titles. But that would make sense and this is boxing, so we'll probably never see it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Shannon Briggs is once again claiming he has a fight in April. He has been in the gym for six weeks and will soon start a legitimate training camp.

No opponent has been announced, and he has not said whether this is going to be a standard pro boxing fight, a bare knuckle boxing match, or one of those Tyson-style geezer exhibitions. In his most recent comeback from 2014-2016 Briggs was 9-0-0-0 with 8 KOs. Overall Briggs is 60-6-1-1 with 53 KOs and is a former 2X world heayweight champion (beat George Foreman for the lineal title, lost it to Lennox Lewis; beat Siarhei Liakhovich for the WBO title, lost it to Sultan Ibragimov).

I hope it's a bare knuckle fight. At 49 he has no chance against the likes of Fury, Joshua, or Wilder but I'd pick him to knock out BKFC heavyweight champion Joey Beltran (4-1-1-0 in BKFC, 18-15-0-1 in MMA). I'll be bummed if it's a lame ass exhibition like Tyson vs RJJ.

But then again this is Shannon Briggs so it may not happen at all. Dude announces a fight every year and nothing has materialized since May 2016.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Absolutely disgraceful stuff out of the UK today.

First they completely robbed Kiko Martinez. He was a champ many years ago and he was fighting two weight classes above his normal weight. He was picked as a patsy to get a notable name on rising prospect Zelfa Barrett's record. Martinez absolutely beat the shit out of him, won a minimum of 8 out of 12 rounds. 2 of the scorecards awarded 10 rounds to Barrett and the third gave him 8 rounds.

Then in the main event, Josh Warrington was knocked down and badly battered around by 80-1 underdog Mauricio Lara. Warrington got up before 10 but he was clearly hurt very badly, had no balance, had no legs under him. The ref held him up at the bell, keeping him from going down. Anywhere else in the world, the fight would've been stopped. Any other fighter, it would have been stopped. But because it was Warrington they let him continue, and later in the fight he was brutally knocked out and it took like 10 minutes before he had enough of his faculties back to walk out of the ring. They could have gotten him killed because they didn't want to see the home fighter take an L.

I don't know why any non-British fighter would agree to take a fight in the UK at this point. Robbery after robbery after robbery, and tonight their blatant favoritism nearly got someone killed on worldwide television.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Absolutely disgraceful stuff out of the UK today.

First they completely robbed Kiko Martinez. He was a champ many years ago and he was fighting two weight classes above his normal weight. He was picked as a patsy to get a notable name on rising prospect Zelfa Barrett's record. Martinez absolutely beat the shit out of him, won a minimum of 8 out of 12 rounds. 2 of the scorecards awarded 10 rounds to Barrett and the third gave him 8 rounds.

Then in the main event, Josh Warrington was knocked down and badly battered around by 80-1 underdog Mauricio Lara. Warrington got up before 10 but he was clearly hurt very badly, had no balance, had no legs under him. The ref held him up at the bell, keeping him from going down. Anywhere else in the world, the fight would've been stopped. Any other fighter, it would have been stopped. But because it was Warrington they let him continue, and later in the fight he was brutally knocked out and it took like 10 minutes before he had enough of his faculties back to walk out of the ring. They could have gotten him killed because they didn't want to see the home fighter take an L.

I don't know why any non-British fighter would agree to take a fight in the UK at this point. Robbery after robbery after robbery, and tonight their blatant favoritism nearly got someone killed on worldwide television.

I missed these fights. I will look them up tomorrow morning and check out what you are talking about.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Hopey Price was looking good. Young kid, lots of potential as long as he doesn't move up in weight class for the time being.
What's got me really excited is the news of Pacman vs Garcia in may. My money iw on the pac!

Edit: wow, Warrington got destroyed!!! And Kiko absolutely won in my book too.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
The other fights from Saturday were pretty good at least. Shame we didn't get to see Joe Smith Jr finally win his world title, but Vlasov got the ronas.

Diaz lost his belt on the scales and then got a gift draw decision. Very disappointing performance for what should have been his first world title defense.

Brian Castano thoroughly trounced Patrick Teixeira to take Teixeira's WBO super welterweight title. This will hopefully set up a unification with Jermell Charlo, who currently holds the WBA (Super), WBC, IBF, and The Ring world titles. Since they are both promoted by Al Haymon it should be pretty easy to get it done.

Jared Anderson had a nasty KO. That's 8 KOs in 8 fights for the guy now considered the top American prospect at heavyweight. He needs another step up opponent as nobody has been able to get to the sixth round bell with him yet.

Plenty of fights on TV this coming weekend, even some on Wednesday. The big one is Miguel Berchelt vs Oscar Valdez. Berchelt is the reigning WBC super featherweight champion, Valdez is the undefeated former WBO featherweight champion moving up. Both guys are high volume punchers with high percentages of knockouts and both guys have great chins. Valdez even fought several rounds with a broken jaw in one of his title fights. Mexican vs Mexican, both guys fight in the traditional Mexican style, should be a war.

BKFC has a lot of stuff coming up soon:
wzt7i15ugjf61.jpg

famicommander

15 Year Member
Chop Chop!
EuTAZPuXIAUQz4m

DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley is debuting at BKFC 16 vs Reggie Barnett Jr.

Corley's record:
51-33-1-0 in pro boxing
Former WBO Super Lightweight Champion of the world from 2001-2003, now 46 years old

He was a world level guy from about 2001-2004 when he had notable fights against Floyd Mayweather, Zab Judah, Randall Bailey, Ener Julio, and Miguel Cotto. After that he became a gatekeeper, testing prospects on their way up the ladder.

Guys he fought on their way up: Marcos Maidana, Lucas Matthysse, Ruslan Provodnikov, Junior Witter, Devon Alexander, Thomas Dulorme, Viktor Postol. He was last seen in 2019 where was stopped by 18-0-1 prospect Custio Clayton.

Corley is 46 and long past his prime but he's in there with a guy who could never have even dreamed about the world level.

Barnett:
5-1-0-0 in pro bare knuckle
6-2-0-0 in pro boxing
3-4-0-0 in pro MMA

Total journeyman. Skill gap is enormous, just depends on what Chop Chop has in the tank.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Fucking Adrien Broner. He's fighting a nobody on Showtime this weekend. He signed to fight at 140 but today they changed the contracted weight to 147 because Broner isn't in shape.

I hate this guy. He's such a god damn waste. A violent criminal, a cherry picking assface, a lazy idiot who shows up out of shape to his fights, hasn't won since 2017, still inexplicably popular.

Look at this list:
Tommy Hearns
Sugar Ray Leonard
Roberto Duran
Pernell Whitaker
Oscar De La Hoya
Leo Gamez
Roy Jones Jr
Floyd Mayweather Jr
Manny Pacquiao
Erik Morales
Jorge Arce
Juan Manuel Marquez
Nonito Donaire
Miguel Cotto
Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez
Mikey Garcia
Donnie Nietes
Kazuto Ioka
Leo Santa Cruz
Saul "Canelo" Alvarez

20 of the greatest fighters of all time. Those 20 and Adrien fucking Broner are the only men to win a world championship in four different weight divisions.

Except Broner is only 4-4-1 against other world champions and he hasn't beaten one since Paulie Malinaggi in 2013. 0-2-1 in his last three fights and the draw was a gift decision.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Got us some god damn fights to watch today

DAZN starting at 2:00 PM Eastern:
David Avanesyan vs. Josh Kelly, 12 rounds, welterweights
Robbie Davies Jr. vs. Gabriel Gollaz Valenzuela, 10 rounds, junior welterweights
Jordan Gill vs. Cesar Juarez, 10 rounds, featherweights
Florian Marku vs. Rylan Charlton, 10 rounds, welterweights
Johnny Fisher vs. Matt Gordon, 4 rounds, heavyweights

ESPN starting at 8:00 PM Eastern (Undercard starts at 6:30 PM Eastern on ESPN+):
Miguel Berchelt vs. Oscar Valdez, 12 rounds, for Berchelt's WBC junior lightweight title -- Watch here
Gabriel Flores Jr. vs. Jayson Velez, 10 rounds, junior lightweights
Esquiva Falcao vs. Artur Akavov, 10 rounds, middleweights
Elvis Rodriguez vs. Luis Alberto Veron, 8 rounds, junior welterweights
Xander Zayas vs. James Martin, 6 rounds, welterweights
Sonny Conto vs. Waldo Cortes, 4 rounds, heavyweights
Omar Rosario vs. Uriel Villanueva, 4 rounds, welterweights
Javier Martinez vs. Billy Wagner, 4 rounds, middleweights

Showtime starting at 9:00 PM Eastern:
Adrien Broner vs. Jovanie Santiago, 10 rounds, welterweights
Otto Wallin vs. Dominic Breazeale, 12 rounds, heavyweights
Robert Easter Jr. vs. Ryan Martin, 12 rounds, junior welterweights
Rau'shee Warren vs. Sharone Carter, 10 rounds, bantamweights
Zachary Ochoa vs. Juan Jose Velasco, 10 rounds, junior welterweights

famicommander

15 Year Member
Gervonta Davis was the driver in a hit and run crash where he ran a red light and fled the scene on foot. He crashed his Lamborghini into a Toyota with four people aged 18-20 in it, all of whom were sent to the hospital, one with serious injuries. He has not yet been charged as it is an ongoing investigation.

This comes after he was arrested last year for strangling his ex-girlfriend in public. She was watching a college basketball game and he ran into her there. He wanted to talk to her and she refused so he put her in a headlock and dragged her into a hallway, where he was seen on camera shoving her and choking her.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Oscar Valdez with the big upset KO to improve to 29-0-0-0 and claim a world title in his second weight division (first featherweight, now super featherweight):
nnCfVRM.gif

Berchelt doing his best impression of Pacquiao from Pac vs Marquez IV.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
We've had geezer fights, we've had sideshow freak fights. How about a geezer sideshow freak fight?

52 year old Antonio Tarver will fight 41 year old Frank Mir in a boxing match.

Tarver:
31-6-1-1 in pro boxing
4X Light Heavyweight World Champion (has won the WBA, IBF, WBC, The Ring, and lineal titles; some more than once)
Last fought in 2015, 12 round split draw against former cruiserweight world champion Steve Cunningham (who once put Tyson Fury on his ass)
Wins over world champions Roy Jones Jr, Reggie Johnson, Montell Griffin, Glen Johnson, Clinton Woods, and Danny Green

Mir:
19-13-0-0 in pro MMA
2X UFC Heavyweight Champion
Last fought in 2019, 3 round unanimous decision win over Roy Nelson

A 10 year age difference is pretty big, especially when both guys are old to begin with, but I have to think Tarver ices Mir pretty easily.