Boxing thread

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
They'll put fluff in front of Ali to try to build him up for the big pay day. Hopefully he ends up being great.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Both those guys were lucky they were fighting each other instead of Inoue or Donaire.
Yes sir, and Casamiro needs a haircut, because he kept moving the hair away from his face. In a real fight he wouldn't have time to be doing that.

Ortiz fight was good.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Ugas with the win over Pac. Called it, should've bet on it but I didn't because I'm dumb.

famicommander

15 Year Member
And the NEW heavyweight champion!

Incredible performance for Oleksandr Usyk. He boxed Anthony Joshua's face off. After Usyk had so much trouble against Chisora I didn't think he could hold up at heavyweight, but he took everything Joshua had and fired back with more. Masterful.

He joins David Haye and Evander Holyfield as former cruiserweight champions to move up and win a major heavyweight title (Michael Spinks and RJJ jumped all the way from light heavyweight, skipping cruiserweight).

Usyk's resume:
19-0-0-0, 13 KO
Undisputed WBA (Super)/WBC/IBF/WBO/Ring Magazine/Lineal Cruiserweight World Champion
WBA (Super)/IBF/WBO/IBO Heavyweight World Champion
Olympic Gold Medalist, Amateur World Champion

Joshua has a rematch clause but I don't see the rematch being any easier for him. He was comprehensively outboxed and Usyk isn't likely to put on 25 pounds of party weight like Andy Ruiz did last time Joshua was beaten.

famicommander

15 Year Member
voNgRHH.gif

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
What a hero, can't wait for the rematch. AJ is nowhere near the level of Usyk right now. Usyk might play the crazy-Ukrainian card but he showed the world who's who. Fury -Usyk, that would be a great card too!

famicommander

15 Year Member
Fury has said he doesn't want to fight Uysk because it would be "boring"

Gotta hope Wilder sparks Fury this time if we want to see an undisputed title fight. Can't rely on these damn Brits to step up and take the big fights.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Fury has said he doesn't want to fight Uysk because it would be "boring"

Gotta hope Wilder sparks Fury this time if we want to see an undisputed title fight. Can't rely on these damn Brits to step up and take the big fights.
The point he was making is no one wants to watch it, there wouldn't be the $50bn they seem to think every fight they're in deserves. He isn't entirely wrong.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The point he was making is no one wants to watch it, there wouldn't be the $50bn they seem to think every fight they're in deserves. He isn't entirely wrong.
His other options would be fighting shitty losers like Dillian Whyte, fighting the already defeated Joshua, or fighting Wilder a fourth time (assuming Fury wins the third fight).

famicommander

15 Year Member
Wilder vs Fury III this weekend.

I am notoriously bad at picking heavyweight title fights in recent years. I pick most fights at above 80% accuracy but look at these heavyweight title fights

Wilder vs Ortiz - Picked Wilder, Wilder won
Joshua vs Parker - Picked Joshua, Joshua won
Joshua vs Povetkin - Picked Joshua, Joshua won
Wilder vs Fury - Picked Wilder, split draw
Wilder vs Breazeale - Picked Wilder, Wilder won
Joshua vs Ruiz - Picked Joshua, Ruiz won
Wilder vs Ortiz II - Picked Wilder, Wilder won
Joshua vs Ruiz II - Picked Ruiz, Joshua won
Wilder vs Fury II - Picked Wilder, Fury won
Joshua vs Pulev - Picked Joshua, Joshua won
Joshua vs Usyk - Picked Joshua, Usyk won

6 out of my last 11 picks correct in heavyweight title fights

This time I'm picking Fury and rooting for Wilder, so we'll see how it goes.

Anyone else want to make a guess?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
What a end to a great Trilogy. Props to Wilder for making it all the way to the 11th. I thought that his corner would throw in the towel again but I thought they were given specific instructions to not do it this time. I thought he was gassed by the 6th. His legs were completely shot and it was just pure will that was keeping him upright.

Fury has to be one of the best boxers I have ever seen in my lifetime. For such a big guy his head movement and foot work is some of the best I have ever seen. He has that old school style and is phenomenal in the clinch. It was the clinch that wore Wilder out. The way he leans on his opponents, throws in the body shots and uppercuts. You could see Wilder go to his knees after some of the clinches. That old school dirty boxing.

Fury also showed how tough he is. Getting knocked down twice in the same round and getting up. Most fighters would have been done. For such a big dude, he has such great endurance. He was never letting up.

I don't know where Wilder go's from here. You can't teach him how to box this late in his career. He still has that nasty right hand that could knock anyone out. Wilder Ruiz would be interesting. Maybe Wilder Joshua.

I don't know what you do with Fury. Is there anyone in the heavy weight division that could come close to beating him?

Last edited:

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
It was like watching two Greek gods duke it out atop Mount Olympus. Magnificent. The trilogy fight lived up to all the hype and then some. I'm still glowing from it this morning. Wow, what a fight!

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
What a end to a great Trilogy. Props to Wilder for making it all the way to the 11th. I thought that his corner would throw in the towel again but I thought they were given specific instructions to not do it this time. I thought he was gassed by the 6th. His legs were completely shot and it was just pure will that was keeping him upright.

Fury has to be one of the best boxers I have ever seen in my lifetime. For such a big guy his head movement and foot work is some of the best I have ever seen. He has that old school style and is phenomenal in the clinch. It was the clinch that wore Wilder out. The way he leans on his opponents, throws in the body shots and uppercuts. You could see Wilder go to his knees after some of the clinches. That old school dirty boxing.

Fury also showed how tough he is. Getting knocked down twice in the same round and getting up. Most fighters would have been done. For such a big dude, he has such great endurance. He was never letting up.

I don't know where Wilder go's from here. You can't teach him how to box this late in his career. He still has that nasty right hand that could knock anyone out. Wilder Ruiz would be interesting. Maybe Wilder Joshua.

I don't know what you do with Fury. Is there anyone in the heavy weight division that could come close to beating him?
Very much so.

I have great respect now for Wilder. He has real heart and showed he is worthy of his status at the top, not just as a knock out artist. He's much more than a one hit wonder so to speak.

Fury is of another era. Not just due to his skills. He is made of the same stuff they used to be 100 years ago, 200 years ago. Watching him during this trilogy I truly felt I was bearing witness to a fragment of bygone times.

I feel priveleged to have been able to watch these two go at it. They made the heavyweight division shine like it hasn't in 25 years, right at the top of sporting events of the modern era. 2 very different fighters, made the ring sing and then some.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It was like watching two Greek gods duke it out atop Mount Olympus. Magnificent. The trilogy fight lived up to all the hype and then some. I'm still glowing from it this morning. Wow, what a fight!
It really did feel like that. The crowd was pretty much up on their feet for like half the fight. 4 knock downs and the 5th declaring the winner. You can't ask for more.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Great fight, all credit to Fury.

I do have a problem with the count on the second knockdown of Fury is the fourth round, though. It was an incredibly slow count. I went back and counted it myself and I had Fury's knee still on the ground at eleven.

I'm not saying it cost Wilder the fight, because if the count were faster Fury might've gotten up faster and then the fight might've played out exactly the same as it did. And Wilder had 8 rounds after that to finish the job and couldn't.

I just wish the ref had done his job. Count it right and either Fury gets up on time or he doesn't.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Not saying you don't have a point Fami, because you do, these are all the little tweaks which may tilt the fight one way or another overall. But I feel Wilder got some mini passes too. Will have to rewatch the fight.
I'm still in awe of what these two accomplished through the saga. Neither where particularly interesting to me beforehand.

To think a lot was thought of Joshua through the years, before Ortiz, but more so before Usyk. Not tooting my own horn but Joshua Usyk was a foregone conclusion in my opinion. A case of a true boxer up against a glorified runway model.

Usyk Fury does not promise to be massively rivetting, but it will be quality. Hopefully. Eventually.
I don't think Joshua should take the rematch. Maybe after 3 or 4 manegeable fights.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Joshua already activated the rematch clause.

Which means Fury will be ordered to take the WBC mandatory, which will be the winner of Dillian Shyte and Otto Wallin.

Whyte sucks and Fury already beat Wallin, so pretty boring now.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Biggest fight of the year so far tomorrow.

Jermell Charlo vs Brian Castano for the undisputer super welterweight championship of the world.

Titles on the line:
Charlo's WBA (Super), WBC, IBF, and The Ring Magazine
Castano's WBO
Vacant Lineal

A true undisputed championship. As long as we get a winner, it will be only the seventh undisputed men's champion in the four belt era (since 2004): Bernard Hopkins, Jermain Taylor, Terence Crawford, Oleksandr Usyk, Teofimo Lopez, and Josh Taylor were the others.

And the best part is it's not even a PPV. The fight card will air on Showtime tomorrow at 9:00 PM Eastern.

Charlo is the slight favorite but it should be a great fight. Both guys will be the best opponent either has faced.

What did you make of this fight? I thought it was grand. Even though I believe Castaňo won overall, he did get his arse handed to him a few times in a very significant way.

I don't think there will be a rematch, it wouldn't serve Charlo's overall plans.